• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,296 posts in this topic

Totally understand how this looks on the surface but don't worry, my wife is fully on board and this has been part of the plan for years now, just accelerated by his father's passing and mother's hospitalization.  We bought a house that's unreasonably large for two people although we're working on one kid and see how that goes.  He is actually working on culling those boxes down too.  A good chunk of space is just taken up by those Previews magazines which anyone familiar knows how thick those things are, and I can say from experience they're the first thing you toss when moving a big collection.  If space were an issue he could actually fit all that in the bedroom we have for him here, but I imagine when it's all settled we'll have everything looking decently organized.  He's got a ton of hard and paperback collections, and his bedroom has this enormous custom bookshelf that was actually a built-in my parents had made for my bedroom that I didn't want to get left behind at their old house.  Obviously I'm still jealous since it doesn't have drawers sized for comics with cool insert panels on the front, but it's pretty nice.

It also occurs to me that he has a ton of collections of comics I own single issues of that aren't worth much, so I could probably stand to trim my collection down too.

On 7/25/2018 at 8:57 PM, davebo357 said:

So I have a friend I've known since pre-school (1982?) who's going to be moving in with my wife and I next year.  He's been keeping most of his comics in a guest bedroom where he currently lives that I haven't looked inside of for probably ten years.  I assumed by this point his collection was huge and we'd be integrating it into my comic room when he moved here, but now that I see it I don't think it'll even fit.  Figured I'd post some "before" photos and then see what this all looks like a year from now at my house.

2018-07-25-mikes.comics2.thumb.jpg.4aef21b95d6a69a1952e6bb1978fc01a.jpg2018-07-25-mikes.comics1.thumb.jpg.26bf8f8a73cf3c894f7f220c44258932.jpg

Jeeze what a hoard. Wonder when the last time was he looked into some of those boxes? I don’t have to wonder what my wife would say...

On 7/13/2018 at 10:07 AM, classicaaron said:

while not my comic book room as all my comics are just boxed and in a closet but I figured id show my toy collection on here.  hey it at least has a lot of comic oriented stuff in it.  anyone here you go.  I have four aisles built.  so this is about half of my stuff, ran out of room long ago.  not sure what ill do with my comics either as those are starting to pile up as well.

toy6.thumb.jpg.18b78c85d17c6733961e005f084b14aa.jpg

toy4.thumb.jpg.8905e573dfd5c461688a25c9b82de41d.jpg

toy3.thumb.jpg.fa32db14a31099e8ad21db2909f39e38.jpg

toy7.thumb.jpg.b10acb6b65b7f24e120a8a5516e735d5.jpg

toy5.thumb.jpg.385e214d1a46eb1acce054d84118bdb3.jpg

toy2.thumb.jpg.ba9f6885f442e7d7f802b21b85491a7d.jpg

toy4.jpg

toy7.jpg

Wow, do you live in a warehouse? That is off the hook. Can’t say I would want that myself but I got to hand it to you. At least you have them all out where you can see and enjoy them...

2 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Latest setup. 

A74D35B9-97EE-49BC-8B3C-F3DB078A8B7D.jpeg

the Archie's look good in the new cases :foryou: would you benefit from having the long boxes off the floor? That almost hurts my back looking at it ha.

On 7/29/2018 at 9:47 AM, Robot Man said:
On 7/25/2018 at 8:57 PM, davebo357 said:

So I have a friend I've known since pre-school (1982?) who's going to be moving in with my wife and I next year.  He's been keeping most of his comics in a guest bedroom where he currently lives that I haven't looked inside of for probably ten years.  I assumed by this point his collection was huge and we'd be integrating it into my comic room when he moved here, but now that I see it I don't think it'll even fit.  Figured I'd post some "before" photos and then see what this all looks like a year from now at my house.

2018-07-25-mikes.comics2.thumb.jpg.4aef21b95d6a69a1952e6bb1978fc01a.jpg

I get that you have a plan and all but would it make more sense to just have him rent a climate controlled storage space and put all these items there for safe keeping for however long he needs it?

good luck either way

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:51 PM, Robot Man said:

Wow, do you live in a warehouse? That is off the hook. Can’t say I would want that myself but I got to hand it to you. At least you have them all out where you can see and enjoy them...

the idea was to always display the stuff so I can enjoy it or else whats the point.  I did have half of it boxed up prying to moving so made it a priority when I finished the basement to have enough room to display everything.  just gives me a childhood feeling of walking through TRU as a kid and seeing just aisles of cool toys.  so that feeling is priceless.  that's what stinks about my comics, over 16,000 books and only have like 10 graded books out on display. I guess they are still at least accessible if need be.

Also if anyone wants an actual walkthrough video to get a better feel for layout you can search "dysfunctional nerdcast" on youtube and it will come right up

Edited by classicaaron
added sentence

12 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I get that you have a plan and all but would it make more sense to just have him rent a climate controlled storage space and put all these items there for safe keeping for however long he needs it?

good luck either way

He's probably not in a position to afford the cost of paid storage, and maybe doesn't have the conveyance to move the boxes easily. 

8 hours ago, classicaaron said:

the idea was to always display the stuff so I can enjoy it or else whats the point.  I did have half of it boxed up prying to moving so made it a priority when I finished the basement to have enough room to display everything.  just gives me a childhood feeling of walking through TRU as a kid and seeing just aisles of cool toys.  so that feeling is priceless.  that's what stinks about my comics, over 16,000 books and only have like 10 graded books out on display. I guess they are still at least accessible if need be.

Also if anyone wants an actual walkthrough video to get a better feel for layout you can search "dysfunctional nerdcast" on youtube and it will come right up

I don't have that much space so I rotate stuff in and out of my display cases on a regular basis. When I get tired of seeing the same stuff I just switch it up. Always keeps it fresh for me. 

9 hours ago, classicaaron said:

Hands-down one of the most kick-azz rooms I've seen.  Organized, neat, clean etc..  Now you can work on one for your comics lol

Edited by MustEatBrains

23 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

good luck either way

I had a ‘climate controlled’ Storage unit for few years that took in water. Only thing that saved the majority of my furniture was the mattress on the back wall.

On 7/18/2018 at 3:45 PM, Badlands said:

Thanks, me too. Coke came out with three of them: this, Amazing Spiderman and the Fantastic Four. Still looking for the FF...

What year was that? Would love to see the Spidey & the FF. That Hulk rocks!

On 7/26/2018 at 1:14 AM, 01TheDude said:

I thought that was the point of creating a comic book room or man cave-- making your own comic book store or in the case of the man cave-- your own bar.

But ya gotta be able to find the bar! :nyah:

15 hours ago, spreads said:

He's probably not in a position to afford the cost of paid storage, and maybe doesn't have the conveyance to move the boxes easily. 

I don't know the situation fully but the items are going to have to be moved at some point regardless of the guys ability to do it himself or whatever-- even if it is into the friends house. So moving them somewhere you can store them for a while makes sense, especially if this is only a temporary living situation and it is unknown where the next living place might be.

If it is a money problem, perhaps it is time to sell off some of this stuff anyway.

My point is moving the hoard once or twice versus three or four times and NOT being the house guest who takes over a huge portion of the house. Tough enough having a new person come into a living space without them also swallowing up large amounts of territory.

It was just a friendly suggestion since I thought the point of them moving in was to give the person a place to live and not so much the collection.

6 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I don't know the situation fully but the items are going to have to be moved at some point regardless of the guys ability to do it himself or whatever-- even if it is into the friends house. So moving them somewhere you can store them for a while makes sense, especially if this is only a temporary living situation and it is unknown where the next living place might be.

If it is a money problem, perhaps it is time to sell off some of this stuff anyway.

My point is moving the hoard once or twice versus three or four times and NOT being the house guest who takes over a huge portion of the house. Tough enough having a new person come into a living space without them also swallowing up large amounts of territory.

It was just a friendly suggestion since I thought the point of them moving in was to give the person a place to live and not so much the collection.

I'm 99% certain it's been thought of by this guy...there was a local dealer that moved an insane number of boxes recently here (2000-4000? can't recall the number, check my post history)....anyways, some of the stuff ended up in storage which would really be a last resort. 

10 hours ago, crazyhips said:

I had a ‘climate controlled’ Storage unit for few years that took in water. Only thing that saved the majority of my furniture was the mattress on the back wall.

Brutal, and would you get compensated for that?  Or are you mess-out-of-luck?

3 hours ago, spreads said:

Brutal, and would you get compensated for that?  Or are you mess-out-of-luck?

Out of luck.  Owner is essentially a crook.  Never responded and didn't even refund my security deposit.  Why I will never store valuables in a storage unit.  

1 hour ago, crazyhips said:

Out of luck.  Owner is essentially a crook.  Never responded and didn't even refund my security deposit.  Why I will never store valuables in a storage unit.  

Was it a chain, or smaller operation?  In Canada there's a few very large chains, I would be concerned if the individual owner/operator could operate like this under that structure.

I have been listing a lot of things on eBay, and between work being busy and getting a fairly steady drip of eBay sales, the comic room had gone to pieces. I finally organized things a great deal, and what you see here represents clearing off a guest bed, cleaning out the closet, and organizing all my shipping supplies.

IMG_20180810_171935.jpg

Edited by DavidTheDavid