• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
49 49

10,288 posts in this topic

On 5/18/2018 at 4:36 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Day two of the installation is done!

249866301_After-Day2a.JPG.c676473db8666aa63bab7b4d4b59e906.JPG2010824180_After-Day2b.JPG.ec3f2e426566d35f3ac859da610a0dca.JPG

On Monday, the carpenters will be back to fill in nail holes and seams.  Also on Monday, I'll get the remaining cover prints to fill in the drawer fronts.  I can't wait to share pictures of the final completed project with you all!

On 5/22/2018 at 2:02 PM, AGGIEZ said:

SO...AWESOME!

I want to see the finished product with the books in the front...

Very Cool !   I agree.. I think the coolest part of it is that you can display the in the front.  As much as you want to protect them, I also like to be able to look at them.

On 5/18/2018 at 7:36 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Day two of the installation is done!

249866301_After-Day2a.JPG.c676473db8666aa63bab7b4d4b59e906.JPG2010824180_After-Day2b.JPG.ec3f2e426566d35f3ac859da610a0dca.JPG

On Monday, the carpenters will be back to fill in nail holes and seams.  Also on Monday, I'll get the remaining cover prints to fill in the drawer fronts.  I can't wait to share pictures of the final completed project with you all!

WOW!!!!  :luhv:

8 hours ago, BOLORINO said:

IKEA-Shelf-splash-raw.jpg

I dig the action figures.  I really got into the Marvel Legends 6" figures this past year and have quite the X-Men-centric display going.  I'll have to get a current photo as a lot has changed, but three months ago it was entirely Wolverine-centric.

2018-09-24-wolverines-01-snitkd.thumb.jpg.95825411a9930a2a9943db750e21bf82.jpg

16 hours ago, BOLORINO said:

After months trying to find a good way to store/protect/display my books I decided to spend the extra money to buy a couple of flat file cabinets...As the video states... that was the best way I found to store the books and still make it easy to "display"/see them...  I also did some LED light upgrades and installed curtains to protect them from UV damage...  You can see part of my room here... I'll try to do a better video later..

Are CGC books supposed to lie flat?  From every source that I've heard it's better to keep them upright?  I really like your shelves, would it be possible to zoom out and take more photos?  How are they attached to the wall and is this something you made or bought?  Great room!

2 hours ago, spreads said:

Are CGC books supposed to lie flat?  From every source that I've heard it's better to keep them upright?  I really like your shelves, would it be possible to zoom out and take more photos?  How are they attached to the wall and is this something you made or bought?  Great room!

Not sure... Some people told me it is better to have it flat, others told me it is better to have them up.  I like the cabinet idea for several reasons I've mentioned on the video... it's lockable, I can fit 100 per cabinet (no way I can put 100 on wall, it makes it easy to see them, and offers uv light protection... I have other videos that show the entire room and how I did the shelves and lights...

On 12/22/2018 at 5:09 PM, BOLORINO said:

After months trying to find a good way to store/protect/display my books I decided to spend the extra money to buy a couple of flat file cabinets...As the video states... that was the best way I found to store the books and still make it easy to "display"/see them...  I also did some LED light upgrades and installed curtains to protect them from UV damage...  You can see part of my room here... I'll try to do a better video later..

When you pull out the drawer all the way can you see the labels for the books in the back for every drawer or just the bottom ones?

12 hours ago, Dr. Balls said:

Nearly all of my collection is gone, but I still love comics and always will - so we built my stepson's room (which only gets used 2-3 weeks out of the year) to double as my Nerdatorium.

Those 90's Bad Girl posters were hung up in my comic shop in the 90's. They survived so long, I figured I owed it to them to get framed.

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

Righteous! :headbang:

10 hours ago, NamesJay said:

When you pull out the drawer all the way can you see the labels for the books in the back for every drawer or just the bottom ones?

Well, I think you can see in the video that each drawer has two little "dents" on each side that stops the drawer at that distance so it does not fall out...  If you do that you can see all bokks, but the back grades will be partially covered...

However, as I show on the video, if you are careful you can pull out a little past the "safety stopper"/dent, and see the grades for all 10 books at once. That is what I do all the time with no problems.

Here's another pic... but I think the video shows it better in 4K..

20181222_125015.thumb.jpg.2c899250e2112ee6b4fc051ad394879b.jpg

On 12/23/2018 at 7:15 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Nearly all of my collection is gone, but I still love comics and always will - so we built my stepson's room (which only gets used 2-3 weeks out of the year) to double as my Nerdatorium.

Those 90's Bad Girl posters were hung up in my comic shop in the 90's. They survived so long, I figured I owed it to them to get framed.

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

I'd never leave!

1 hour ago, Stephen Gordon said:

1848115607_comic2.jpg.97bf93e694098b07a2f67c2b5614076e.jpg

I love looking at other collectors comic rooms. So cool.  Thought I would share mine.

First picture top left, heading upstairs to my comic rooms.  2nd picture top right, looking back down into my living room.  Not a comic room but lots of Frazetta prints. Other pictures of the IKEA cases I use to house my comics.  They are all in black plastic magazine holders, with a printed picture of what's inside pasted to the front. The large holders take 60 bagged comics or about 10 CGC comics. The framed covers are either 16x24 or 24x36 scanned and then printed on canvas.  The frames cost more than the prints. Mostly Jack Kirby covers for Marvel and Curt Swan for DC.  The focus of my collection is 12 cent Marvel and DC.  For CGC its Jack Kirby and Marvel no DC.

I think a video would make more sense because my comic room is actually one complete room and parts of two others.  It's hard to follow with just pictures.  

So much Frazetta goodness.  (worship)

Does anyone have any recommendations for higher-end comic/slab storage?

I'm aware of Comic Tombs already.  Do they have any competitors?  Are they the only game in town?  Would it be better just go with a local custom cabinet maker?

Any insight would be helpful.  Thanks!

On 12/23/2018 at 6:15 PM, Dr. Balls said:

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

Man, that is a "man cave".  Ever have any girls in there?