• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
49 49

10,288 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2019 at 8:19 PM, billbrown7080 said:

20171206_153053.jpg

You know, I know this is CGC's website and I'm fully on board with the benefits of professionally graded comics, but from several feet away its just so impressive seeing all these important key issues just looking... equal.  If those were all graded in the back of my mind I'd be thinking "oh my Hulk 181 is 1.5 higher than his or damn I wish I had X-men 94 at THAT rating." This just keeps things simple and beautiful.  Really impressive setup.

9 minutes ago, davebo357 said:

You know, I know this is CGC's website and I'm fully on board with the benefits of professionally graded comics, but from several feet away its just so impressive seeing all these important key issues just looking... equal.  If those were all graded in the back of my mind I'd be thinking "oh my Hulk 181 is 1.5 higher than his or damn I wish I had X-men 94 at THAT rating." This just keeps things simple and beautiful.  Really impressive setup.

I feel the exact same way...This site can be BOTH Brutal and Joyous

since joining the site last month...I've had times when I've felt so grateful and happy to have books that others dont or have books in better condition than others...

but Also, this site can be quite brutal, constantly seeing books you dont have and want desperately. and constantly seeing books that are in better condition

On 1/13/2019 at 5:10 PM, davebo357 said:

You can make it so that just the comic is framed and not the grade? Might be tricky having SA vs. GA though.

I would like to frame some of my OA, which I acquired mostly 15-18 years ago, but I feel silly spending serious money framing pages that cost less than $30-40 a pop. For example I have some great Archie pages (whole stories) from the early 60s ( Archie as Tarzan), but professionally framing 5 pages will cost more than the pages. What is the cheapest frame you've seen out there that will work? I want something made with archival materials and preferably some UV protection. If they come in sizes close to OA sizes I can live without matting.

1 hour ago, Pete Marino said:

for cheaper art that I like to swap in and out, I used these by Bags Unlimited.

I've used them for about the last 8 years ago and nothing i've put in them has yellowed (but I also never put them in direct sunlight)

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/200/original-comic-art-frames

That answers my question. Thanks. More than I want to pay, but I am a cheap and need to suck it up.

16 hours ago, batman_fan said:

My comic book room is really starting to come together

IMG_3325.jpg

IMG_3326.jpg

Are you trying to press those comics by placing them under a stack of toys? I think you need more weight.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Are you trying to press those comics by placing them under a stack of toys? I think you need more weight.

Maybe a stack of old Heritage catalogs hm

i actually found the Marvel Tales I did an experiment on to show that putting books in a tightly pack box is not equivalent to press. Not sure how many years it was sitting with 80lbs of weight on it, but the non color breaking crease is still there. 

5 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Maybe a stack of old Heritage catalogs hm

i actually found the Marvel Tales I did an experiment on to show that putting books in a tightly pack box is not equivalent to press. Not sure how many years it was sitting with 80lbs of weight on it, but the non color breaking crease is still there. 

I was able to get a spine roll out in a few years with a comic in between two backing boards under a few packed mag boxes and flatten out a wavey book similarly. Both were about 80% corrected. Obviously a professional press gets this done in a day and may be 100%.

27 minutes ago, the blob said:

I was able to get a spine roll out in a few years with a comic in between two backing boards under a few packed mag boxes and flatten out a wavey book similarly. Both were about 80% corrected. Obviously a professional press gets this done in a day and may be 100%.

That is my experience as well, Can make it less but never fixes it completely.

Edited by batman_fan

10 hours ago, the blob said:

You can make it so that just the comic is framed and not the grade? Might be tricky having SA vs. GA though.

Well I can't control how other people frame their comics and I can never un-know the grades of my own, so that seems fruitless.  I like my setup because aside from my trinity frame, I can easily swap out graded comics on my wall.  Only problem is I need more graded comics to be able to swap out regularly.  I really like my 12-comic ungraded tri-fold frame that I can also swap out, but I completely forgot to both buy more of and swap in Christmas themed covers this past December.  Loved seeing Iron Man #254 in there last year.

Edit: and before I even hit Submit Reply, I got distracted and ended up on ebay buying a few of them.