• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,296 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Badlands said:

Well, I got it home. First thing is to to slowly take it apart and get it cleaned. Hardware, the plastic painted pieces, etc. I would like to get some of the rust off too, but obviously don't want to take off any paint.

Cleaning ideas and advice more than welcome! Here is the before pic, I will definitely post the "after" when completed!

$60 and a 5 mile drive...I'll take it!

20190422_201807.jpg

That is such a beauty, and definitely something that not every collector is going to have. Clean it up by all means, but I wouldn't touch up any of the paint or anything. The roughness is what gives it that vintage charm. Spectacular pick up. 

23 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

That is such a beauty, and definitely something that not every collector is going to have. Clean it up by all means, but I wouldn't touch up any of the paint or anything. The roughness is what gives it that vintage charm. Spectacular pick up. 

Thank you sir. I agree, definitely not touching the paint; its starting to flake, so I certainly do not want to further damage it. 

But to clean it and get those colors to pop will make a world of difference. I have to say, I cannot wait to get started!

50 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Thank you sir. I agree, definitely not touching the paint; its starting to flake, so I certainly do not want to further damage it. 

But to clean it and get those colors to pop will make a world of difference. I have to say, I cannot wait to get started!

Ya I don't know if you even want to touch the rust or anything at all.....keep it in its original state!  Great piece.

17 minutes ago, spreads said:

Ya I don't know if you even want to touch the rust or anything at all.....keep it in its original state!  Great piece.

True, but I would like to see at least a little of it gone. I want the ol greenskin to pop more!

10 minutes ago, Badlands said:

True, but I would like to see at least a little of it gone. I want the ol greenskin to pop more!

I think you might damage it more than the benefit of removing the rust, but let us know one way or the other!

9 hours ago, neuroticmoose said:

I just signed up to comment on the pinball machine after looking up comic book shelf pictures and finding this thread and felt I could add some pointers. The thing about not touching the rust, well the way rust works you're probably gonna wanna at least try to scrape some of it away or it will likely spread, assuming you want to keep the thing for years to come which lets be honest, you do. the great thing is though, there's plenty of ways to remove heavy rust that would allow the rest of the table to remain unscathed and maintain what the other posters called vintage charm, I would consult someone at your local home improvement store who works in the chemical cleaning aisle or do some searching online. vinegar and some light scrubbing in that area in the top corner could even work wonders, and thats really the only area I would worry about, as for the electrics if you're taking the thing apart I'd do some searching on a pinball forum (of which there are many helpful ones) and make sure there's nothing in the table that can discharge while you're taking it apart, otherwise I wouldn't worry about fiddling with the guts and doing repairs yourself (it's almost always x wire to x wire and y wire to y wire type set-ups, I know from rewiring a few of my own arcade cabinets) from there just make sure it's not plugged in and there will be zero chance of electrocution, and in the even you do get shocked the worst you're likely to get is a little zap, nothing life threatening, but if you checked the first two things that won't even be a possibility. Other than that, you seem to know what you're doing, so get that thing looking brand new already! :flamed:

Awesome, thank you! I feel honored you signed up just to comment on this thread lol. I will get to the rust here in a sec, but first:

1. I agree with what some said here, and that is I will not touch the paint. Its starting to flake I certainly dont want to make it worse.

2. I'm taking off the hardware,maybe soak it in some CLR while I clean the plastic graphics; i would like to keep it as much original as i can.

3. Thank you for addressing the rust, and I agree with you. I would like to get "some" off, at least to keep it from spreading. The good news? Those panels at the top and bottom will come off, they're just held on by screws, so I wont risk damaging the rest of the piece.

4. I'm not even close to considering the electronics; for now I just want to focus on getting it somewhat presentable. 

Edited by Badlands

Taking care of the rust absolutely makes sense, as that could continue to spread. My previous comments were specifically in regard to touching up any of the actual paint, sorta like doing restoration/color touch on a comic. But yeah, for sure, you don't want the thing to dissolve before your eyes. Can't wait to see it once it's all done!

3 hours ago, 143ksk said:

Wondering if anyone else has comic stuff at work? We have a lot :)

IMG_7170.jpg

IMG_7167.jpg

IMG_7171.jpg

IMG_7172.jpg

IMG_7168.jpg

Do you work as a children's therapist or with children? Nice friendly set up actually if the children had autism this room would work wonders.(thumbsu

6 hours ago, 143ksk said:

Actually, the room is there so I don’t have to work with kids :grin: They hang out there so they don’t get bored while the adults talk.

Thanks for the reply however I have to know are you a therapist?(thumbsu

10 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Thanks for the reply however I have to know are you a therapist?(thumbsu

You have to tell him, too, or it's entrapment.

Or wait, maybe that's something else.

8 hours ago, 143ksk said:

Actually, the room is there so I don’t have to work with kids :grin: They hang out there so they don’t get bored while the adults talk.

What if I want to hang out in the waiting room reading comics while my (four-legged) child talks to you?

On 4/24/2019 at 3:49 PM, F For Fake said:

Taking care of the rust absolutely makes sense, as that could continue to spread. My previous comments were specifically in regard to touching up any of the actual paint, sorta like doing restoration/color touch on a comic. But yeah, for sure, you don't want the thing to dissolve before your eyes. Can't wait to see it once it's all done!

Well, I got the top piece off. After taking the bracket off that was on that piece, there's hope in restoring some of the color. 

20190426_195817.jpg

20190426_195440.jpg