• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
49 49

10,288 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2019 at 3:36 PM, Krishosein said:

sometimes slower than usual, but they last 3-7 years; and can get a yellowing or stickiness to it or get wavy like the ones I see in the picture

Thank you for the advice....

I inherited the collection from The Grandfather, Not My dad....

and I cant tell you how much you are right when it comes to The Yellowing and stickiness...

85% of the collection I inherited was silver age and bronze DC and Marvel....but there were some kinda not so popular titles like "Star Trek", "The Thing", "Marvel Triple Action"....stuff like that.

I'm entirely convinced My grandfather hadnt even opened the boxes of These titles in 35+ years....He stopped Buying and adding to his collection in The Late 80s....from then until 2013 when he died, He simply owned and stored his collection....But When I inherited the collection and went through it, I could tell The Important and Major titles had Newer bags and backers that he updated at some point....But On some of The not so important titles...I'm convinced The bags and backers were on there since The Late 80s....as you said The were extremely yellow and sticky...especially where The tape was on The flap, the tape had almost turned to goo....luckily as far as I can see Literally no damage was done to any of the books....but I actually took pictures of the Bags because I'm convinced These are the bags he bought in the late 80's, put them on The comics and Literally had not opened or touched the books since....They still had 1980s prices on them where he looked them up in the price guide and put a sticker on the back with their 1980s value.....

Edited by billbrown7080

On 6/21/2019 at 3:44 PM, MGsimba77 said:

I guess maybe you wouldn't be able to open the drawer without impacting the books if they were there? Anyways I love the whole setup!

Ya The reason I didnt put any row there was because I was afraid I might hit the comics when I pulled the drawers out....

but I did some checking and realized It would be ok so I went ahead and added some just as you suggested.

20190623_232015.jpg

20190623_232024.jpg

On 6/21/2019 at 1:52 PM, billbrown7080 said:

(EDITED)

I've had many people tell I should get Mylar for my Keys...But To be honest I've got Near 1,700 Keys and It would cost a ton to get that many for my keys...also for me personally I've never had any issues or problems with using regular Bag and backers.

I might Be a little more convinced to use the Mylar If My Major Keys were Like 9.4s or 9.8s....I know A ton of collectors only buy the the extremely high grade comics and I could completely understand wanted to use Mylar and extra protection for those...but My Major Keys are in the 4.0 to 8.0 range(of course I got a few lower and higher) but The Majority of my collection are Mid-grade .

If I could ever find like an extremely great deal on Mylar in Bulk, I might consider getting some....But as I said, between 2013 and 2015...I bought New bags and Backers for what turned out to be near 100 Boxes of comics...I didnt really keep track of how much I spent, but It was a lot

This is definitely worth the investment for your keys, IMO, especially considering how you are displaying them.  Mylars offer much greater protection than regular bags, and they really do make your books look better.

Check out www.egerber.com .  Their prices are great if you buy in bulk.  You can get 2,000 Mylites 2 of your preferred size for under $400.  Mylites 4 would be a little over $600 for 2,000 if you want to go that route.  The Mylites+ are a little thinner and feel more like regular comic bags, but it's almost a negligible price increase to upgrade to the Mylites 2, which I think would work much better for your purposes, anyway.

I HIGHLY recommend getting the Half-Backs (backing boards), too, if you don't want to spring for the Full-Backs (thicker backing boards).  Their bulk price for 2,000 Half-Backs is comparable to the price of regular backing boards through most dealers (<$10 per 100, including shipping).

I use them exclusively now and am in the process of re-bagging my entire non-key collection in regular bags and Half-Backs.  I would love to put everything in Mylar, but honestly the cost just isn't worth it for most of the books.  However, from what I understand, regular backing boards become little acid factories over time, so it's worth it for me to replace them all with Half-Backs now and not have to replace them in the future.  (Plus, it's been a lot of fun to go through my collection again and see old books I haven't actually looked at in years. :luhv:)

I'm sure other people can suggest other places to buy Mylars in bulk, but E. Gerber's worked great for me.  I really don't care where you buy them, but I honestly think you should make the investment, especially when you see that the price isn't as prohibitive as you may think.  Your comics will be better protected, and they will look even more amazing when you have them displayed like that.

I hope I didn't violate any terms of use by recommending an outside vendor.  doh!  I have no affiliation with them and was just trying to be helpful.  As I said, I have no skin in the game regarding where anyone buys their supplies; that's just the one I use.  (shrug)

9 minutes ago, Scott W. said:

I hope I didn't violate any terms of use by recommending an outside vendor.  doh!  I have no affiliation with them and was just trying to be helpful.  As I said, I have no skin in the game regarding where anyone buys their supplies; that's just the one I use.  (shrug)

You are good, not everything is going to get slabbed.  We talk about bags and boards here, I have looked up threads about them for my own purposes as well.  :)

At last this is my opinion of your post.

26 minutes ago, Scott W. said:

This is definitely worth the investment for your keys, IMO, especially considering how you are displaying them.  Mylars offer much greater protection than regular bags, and they really do make your books look better.

Check out www.egerber.com .  Their prices are great if you buy in bulk.  You can get 2,000 Mylites 2 of your preferred size for under $400.  Mylites 4 would be a little over $600 for 2,000 if you want to go that route.  The Mylites+ are a little thinner and feel more like regular comic bags, but it's almost a negligible price increase to upgrade to the Mylites 2, which I think would work much better for your purposes, anyway.

I HIGHLY recommend getting the Half-Backs (backing boards), too, if you don't want to spring for the Full-Backs (thicker backing boards).  Their bulk price for 2,000 Half-Backs is comparable to the price of regular backing boards through most dealers (<$10 per 100, including shipping).

I use them exclusively now and am in the process of re-bagging my entire non-key collection in regular bags and Half-Backs.  I would love to put everything in Mylar, but honestly the cost just isn't worth it for most of the books.  However, from what I understand, regular backing boards become little acid factories over time, so it's worth it for me to replace them all with Half-Backs now and not have to replace them in the future.  (Plus, it's been a lot of fun to go through my collection again and see old books I haven't actually looked at in years. :luhv:)

I'm sure other people can suggest other places to buy Mylars in bulk, but E. Gerber's worked great for me.  I really don't care where you buy them, but I honestly think you should make the investment, especially when you see that the price isn't as prohibitive as you may think.  Your comics will be better protected, and they will look even more amazing when you have them displayed like that.

welcome to the boards :tink:

39 minutes ago, Scott W. said:

images.jpg

8 hours ago, Scott W. said:

Probably the greatest single post I've ever seen on this Board was about the different sizes of bags (Mylites2s) and boards as they related to the different-sized books. I was looking at it the other day. You're good!

On 6/21/2019 at 1:52 PM, billbrown7080 said:

thank you...

Believe it or not....Every comic I own has new bags and backers as of 2015....

I've never really thought about Display Protection because Until recently, My Comics have basically Been Boxed.

I Inherited the collection in 2013, It took around 2 years to go through it, buy new bags and backers for every issue, New boxes and Grade every issue...and since Then My dad became extremely ill where I became his sole caretaker before he passed in November. but basically during this time My collection just sat around in Boxes....Its only The last 7 months since his passing and since I joined this forum and Others that I've started to hang comics...I dont have Kids or anything so I'm not worried about damage or accidents. and I dont let anyone in my comic room so I dont worry about theft(or at least Theft by anyone I know)

I did recently upgrade to an amazing Security system for my house and I got an insurance policy for my collection.

I've had many people tell I should get Mylar for my Keys...But To be honest I've got Near 1,700 Keys and It would cost a ton to get that many for my keys...also for me personally I've never had any issues or problems with using regular Bag and backers.

I might Be a little more convinced to use the Mylar If My Major Keys were Like 9.4s or 9.8s....I know A ton of collectors only buy the the extremely high grade comics and I could completely understand wanted to use Mylar and extra protection for those...but My Major Keys are in the 4.0 to 8.0 range(of course I got a few lower and higher) but The Majority of my collection are Mid-grade .

If I could ever find like an extremely great deal on Mylar in Bulk, I might consider getting some....But as I said, between 2013 and 2015...I bought New bags and Backers for what turned out to be near 100 Boxes of comics...I didnt really keep track of how much I spent, but It was a lot

Bill, you really need to get Mylar and Half/Full backs for these comics.  It's literally a drop in the bucket to the value of these comics; would you go out and buy a Ferrari and never get an oil change?

Absolutely fantastic books btw, honor the individual that put this very impressive collection together!  :) 

Edited by spreads
edit

On 8/24/2019 at 10:08 PM, archiecomicscollector said:

As mentioned earlier in this thread (June 9), I've gradually been converting my home office into my comic/toy room, and, as part of my Archie collection is still on display at a local museum, I've only completed about half of the room so far, but it's coming along nicely! :x

I hope to buy at least one additional Billy Bookcase (Ikea) for the other side of the room and find a solution to display my 2000+ comics. I also plan to frame original art and a few posters. And I'll definitely share more photos when it is complete!

(Note - Close-up shots of each shelf can be found on my Instagram page @archiecomicscollector). 

IMG_6444.JPG.2d5fe58f69037838efa9f0b5f9b7aa02.JPG IMG_6451.jpg.6ea3e99c20f5593ee9b1c655f94ea80f.jpg

Yowza. Seinfeld would have loved that room. Here I thought I liked Archie. 

image.jpg

1097F002-2BB9-4BBF-AD2F-3D40D481F95B.jpeg