• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,294 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, davebo357 said:

^^^ Nice, it's a shame the Apocalypse figure was a Build-a-Figure and runs up to $100 on ebay.  I got sucked into the Marvel Legends line a few years back and now look at this mess:

2020-01-05-ml.x-men.jpg

Looks great :) 

On 1/26/2020 at 11:40 AM, tv horror said:

That idea brought your space up to 1000%(thumbsu I would add more if you have the comics to fill the drawers. it looks so much more professional  :golfclap: 

Yeah. I have a built-in on the other side of the vanity/desk to the right on the photo that's opposite this one (closet side on the inside as well with an existing drawer section along the side wills). So I'm going to do the same on the inside cabinet on that side. Since there's already drawers in the outer cabinets but can't fit comics, I use them for comic supplies, trading cards, statue boxes, shipping supplies, etc. Taking them out to do the same as this part would be a huge undertaking that I really don't feel like doing. I definitely have the books to fill the drawers. And it will let me remove one of the smaller filing cabinets in the process. If money wasn't an object, I'd probably convert all of it & try to get rid of most of the filing cabinets, but for the time being, I'll settle for the equivalent of 8 legal filing cabinet drawers. 

On 1/24/2020 at 7:01 PM, Badlands said:

Want to share my latest wall additions to my Nerd Cave. The 2 piece poster set Marvel/DC crossover that never happened, with art by none other than my favorite artist, John Byrne!

The second and third pics are for frames of reference. Sorry about the glare!

20200124_185603.jpg

20200124_185625.jpg

20200124_190909.jpg

Great space!  I can't wait until it's crammed with hundreds of longs, with comics splayed out all over the place like some of the guys here.

23 minutes ago, spreads said:

Great space!  I can't wait until it's crammed with hundreds of longs, with comics splayed out all over the place like some of the guys here.

Thank you, but going the opposite direction; actually reducing the number of long boxes. Less comics, more high value books. Oh, and more posters too!

On 2/1/2020 at 7:43 PM, davebo357 said:

^^^ Nice, it's a shame the Apocalypse figure was a Build-a-Figure and runs up to $100 on ebay.  I got sucked into the Marvel Legends line a few years back and now look at this mess:

2020-01-05-ml.x-men.jpg

What really sucks is that I dragged my heels on picking up that wave. Now I've got them all except Gladiator, who I ONLY need for the Apocalypse head, and he sells for $60-$70. The head also sells for $60-70 on its own. At this point I'm probably better off selling all of the parts and buying an entire Apocalypse.

Looks great!

On 3/14/2018 at 5:04 PM, lizards2 said:

Ok - finally decided to take some photos of the comic cavern proper, and where it has barfed to.  You can withhold your hoarder comments.  We had a furnace fire last year that caused us to move the entire house into this room while we cleaned up, got new carpeting, new furnace, etc., and basically got rid of 1/2 of our possessions.  This is the last room I'm working on, and still has a lot of odds and sods stashed here, from guns and ammo, to paint/tools, dog crates, etc.  It is a work in progress.  And, since I'm currently trying to inventory and put comics away, it is extra messy.

Here is my comic cavern proper that I got 21 years ago when we remodeled the garage and made it into a family room + laundry/bathroom + comic room.  I never intended it to be a comic 'living room', but a dark storage room. The ceilings in this whole 'addition' are 9 feet.  I did shelving to the ceiling on both right and left wall.  The right wall shelving is deep enough so that it has short boxes two deep or a longbox.  The left wall is only one shortbox deep.  I used to be able to walk all the way to the back, but as books were added, they filled up the center too.

image.png.02d46b221869549ceac509782ae0af44.png

image.png.5e6ed0026907b4210c592a4ae566ee3a.png

image.png.e81fd7c4610833e5ecd9fb4febb18194.png

With 21 years passage in time, I've added a lot of books to my collection.  I can still stuff everything I have into the center space and close the door, but then the whole thing is inaccessible.  My wife has graciously let it barf into the family room.  I use the pool table generally as a sorting area, as I don't really care to play pool...., however it is a great working surface.  The temporary table set up outside the comic cavern proper is just to set boxes on and sort the new stuff while I inventory, grade and put it away.

image.png.99ac724cd7b3c144d05e6dedd6c31cfc.png

image.png.2a854a8ffd3dfeb14709b5f9fc66c854.png

image.thumb.png.8622f3411c439c91bb54606412b44d37.png

image.png.0249bc1a65a3b11a4acd32e670762ebc.png

image.png.29b6bc12249511f1fa031b179f7fca7e.png

image.thumb.png.b0db8e8b6e500ee0229689da0dee9efc.png

I will probably never have the dreamy comic room a lot of you have, as my main emphasis is storage and some accessibility, with little or no display.  But like I said - it's a work in progress.  People always ask me "how many comics do you have?"  I do not really have a clue.  The right wall of the comic cavern is 2 short boxes deep x 11 across x 7 shelves = 154 short boxes.  The left wall is 1 short box deep x 4 across x 7 shelves = 28, + another 8-12 on the left, and 9 at the back.  It just goes on from there.  My limited goals are to try to get rid of a bunch of the modern/copper stuff, and winnow it down to my true passion of SA/BA - for example, get rid of all my FFs above #150 or something like that.

Somehow I get the sense that the bearskin rug and the antlers aren't your main focus... lol 

39 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Somehow I get the sense that the bearskin rug and the antlers aren't your main focus... lol 

That is a mountain lion.  The bearskin rug is in the bedroom.  :sumo: 

I have moved (again, hopefully the last time) and have a dedicated office to use as my comic room.  I would like to incorporate my career in aviation into my new room. I am looking for aviation related comic book covers and original art to display together with my other comic related items. I have an OA DPS with the Fantastic Four's fantasticar framed that I will incorporate in this new room and seeking opinions and pictures for items which would add to this room design.

My wife as planning on getting me the chair below for this new room. I am also watching the John Byrne Wonder Woman OA featuring the Invisible jet.

Any assistance from the vast knowledge and experience of the boards would be greatly appreciated. 

20200215_205439.jpg

20 minutes ago, Ducky13 said:

I have moved (again, hopefully the last time) and have a dedicated office to use as my comic room.  I would like to incorporate my career in aviation into my new room. I am looking for aviation related comic book covers and original art to display together with my other comic related items. I have an OA DPS with the Fantastic Four's fantasticar framed that I will incorporate in this new room and seeking opinions and pictures for items which would add to this room design.

My wife as planning on getting me the chair below for this new room. I am also watching the John Byrne Wonder Woman OA featuring the Invisible jet.

Any assistance from the vast knowledge and experience of the boards would be greatly appreciated. 

20200215_205439.jpg

We have those same chairs at my office + the stand that goes with them. Comfy chairs but be careful as ours do have some sharp edges :)

On 2/5/2020 at 9:35 PM, Badlands said:

Thank you, but going the opposite direction; actually reducing the number of long boxes. Less comics, more high value books. Oh, and more posters too!

What's the humidity like down there? Usually pretty high in basements in summer. Is that something you have checked and are concerned about? 

Edited by PetuniaGrimm
forgot a word

1 hour ago, PetuniaGrimm said:

What's the humidity like down there? Usually pretty high in basements in summer. Is that something you have checked and are concerned about? 

Actually, I haven't. I've only been here about a year-and-a-half, but in the summer time I run the dehumidifier Non-Stop

I have ZERO talent to build anything...and near zero desire to do so...I would like to just pay for some nice frames to hang from an office wall...about 20 or so to display various books from the 60s without breaking the bank. These are NOT encapsulated...just bagged and boarded presently.

Any suggestions? I have been to Michaels Crafts and their sister store ACMoore, and didnt like what they had...I would prefer a slime fitting frame rather than a "floating frame"but will gladly take what I can get.