• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,296 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2020 at 6:06 PM, BOLORINO said:

I should have added the video, it shows it much better 😁

20200209_161352.jpg

Cool, but if you have hundreds of slabs the cabinet wouldn't be feasible. 

Edited by oakman29

5 minutes ago, oakman29 said:
On 3/16/2020 at 8:06 PM, BOLORINO said:

I should have added the video, it shows it much better 😁

20200209_161352.jpg

True and waist level high to reach the back and see to pick slabs. Small problem but would need to be shorter.....

I agree it is neat and looks professional lol

It's got vibe! :tink:

11 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Good point 👍  Each cabinet can hold 100 CGC graded comic books, so I think it may still be a good idea if you have a few hundred books. They usually go used for $400-600.  It's about $4-6 a book, so it's not too bad if you some expensive books. 😬 You just need to find the space for it, 100 CGC slabs take a lot of space 😁

11 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

True and waist level high to reach the back and see to pick slabs. Small problem but would need to be shorter.....

I agree it is neat and looks professional lol

It's got vibe! :tink:

Safco sells a "high base" for that cabinet that can be used to raise the cabinet about 20".  That is the perfect height for it. 👍   I wouldn't stack more than 3 high because the top drawer would be a little too high.  I may build a 12-inch stand for them later so the bottom drawers are not so low 😬

Thanks !

2 minutes ago, BOLORINO said:

Good point 👍  Each cabinet can hold 100 CGC graded comic books, so I think it may still be a good idea if you have a few hundred books. They usually go used for $400-600.  It's about $4-6 a book, so it's not too bad if you some expensive books. 😬 You just need to find the space for it, 100 CGC slabs take a lot of space 😁

Safco sells a "high base" for that cabinet that can be used to raise the cabinet about 20".  That is the perfect height for it. 👍   I wouldn't stack more than 3 high because the top drawer would be a little too high.  I may build a 12-inch stand for them later so the bottom drawers are not so low 😬

Thanks !

I've only kind of browsed cabinets and only on eBay, it'd be nice to just have a couple of lockable file cabinets. Imo

That way I could just pick up a shortbox of slabs and set the whole box inside. I'd like to have room fro the box to avoid scuffs from the cabinet. I'd also enjoy the cabinet to have a little weight to it, so no one or thieves couldn't pick the whole thing up or out to open at another time....

$200-400 is what I see on eBay, but not enough are local pick up etc, I'm not paying for shipping a file cabinet hahaha

But I've only started to browse.... Safeco? I haven't heard of so I'll check locations, any others for such a thing?

6 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've only kind of browsed cabinets and only on eBay, it'd be nice to just have a couple of lockable file cabinets. Imo

That way I could just pick up a shortbox of slabs and set the whole box inside. I'd like to have room fro the box to avoid scuffs from the cabinet. I'd also enjoy the cabinet to have a little weight to it, so no one or thieves couldn't pick the whole thing up or out to open at another time....

$200-400 is what I see on eBay, but not enough are local pick up etc, I'm not paying for shipping a file cabinet hahaha

But I've only started to browse.... Safeco? I haven't heard of so I'll check locations, any others for such a thing?

It's SAFCO.  I think I mentioned it on the first video, but the ones I bought I got them on Cragslist because shipping is just too expensive.  On the first video from last year I also showed the lock.   The ones I bought did not have a lock, but you can easily buy the lock kit on ebay and install it yourself. 

If you search on craigslist/facebook/ebay, search "safco flat file" or "flat file cabinet"

There are other manufacturers, but I found SAFCO to be the best/most expensive... you can also check on amazon.

Good luck 👍

On 3/28/2020 at 11:32 PM, oakman29 said:

Well it looks like each cabinet can hold 100 slabs.  
Though once you consider the price of those cabinets, the price per slab storage might be pretty high.
Bolorino says they were $500 in his youtube video but when I googled SAFCO file cabinets their website shows a similar 10 drawer cabinet for $4,000.
https://www.safcoproducts.com/products/flatfiles
The link to amazon in his video shows them for $2000.  Not sure what the deal is with pricing their products haha.
I'm guessing the ones you got for $500 were not identical or there was a business closing down or moving out their floor storage making $500 pretty unrealistic for most people.

Edited by 90sChild

37 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

Well it looks like each cabinet can hold 100 slabs.  
Though once you consider the price of those cabinets, the price per slab storage might be pretty high.
Bolorino says they were $500 in his youtube video but when I googled SAFCO file cabinets their website shows a similar 10 drawer cabinet for $4,000.
https://www.safcoproducts.com/products/flatfiles
The link to amazon in his video shows them for $2000.  Not sure what the deal is with pricing their products haha.
I'm guessing the ones you got for $500 were not identical or there was a business closing down or moving out their floor storage making $500 pretty unrealistic for most people.

This is how I had originally planned to get mine.... haven't really actively looked though haha

Wouldn't really know where to start the search...:preach:

3 hours ago, Comical Situations said:

Spent the day getting some of my newish graded comics filtered into the collection and rearranging things a bit.  Had to rearrange the shelves to make room for new additions, as I was out of room.  Moved some and consolidated in other rooms to make space for the core collection.  Lugging comic boxes around all day kind of sucks lol.  Tired and glad it's done....comics can be a lot of work!

20200331_124832.jpg

20200331_124838.jpg

20200331_162438.jpg

20200331_162447.jpg

20200331_162502.jpg

Holy cripes, look at those slabs!! I guess you don't have cats to worry about knocking those slabs over, lol.

On 3/28/2020 at 7:00 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ah snap you have the signs of artists that they display at cons and some are signed lol

I'm sure a story behind each one :whee:

I had to zoom, I see jim Lee did sign  Haha I thought he left you hanging!

:popcorn:hm

I like it @Skizz, very adult.  Really makes my room full of posed action figures look like a kids room, but if I haven't grown up by now why bother, right?  Always love to see X-Men heavy collections!

Also can I just say with this whole corona virus work from home deal, doing work from the desk in my comic room is just way more enjoyable than going to an office.  I don't know that I'm any more productive but just being surrounded by color keeps me more awake if nothing else.