• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,294 posts in this topic

Actually, once I figured out what I wanted to use it worked out perfectly. The first day was trial and error with different sized and shaped wood (I'm not the guy you come to if you want something fixed ). But, I found those white pieces at home depot in wood and the white plastic (like pvc) . I decided I didn't want to cut anything or paint anything so I picked the plastic (also, the pvc has a nice sheen and no imperfections that you might get with a cheaper wood ) . Each row has a ledge top and bottom that secure the books . I grabbed (through more trial) the perfect maple strips that were 1/4" thick each and the same length as the white beams. found the studs in the wall and used finishing nails to secure 2 maple strips doubled up to give me 1/2" depth. When the white is placed over the maple it is about 1/2" lip on top and bottom . I grabbed a deep purple felt at a hobby shop and lined the maple strips (before securing the white to the face of it). So, the short answer would be ..yes...they slide in and out with ease and no catching or scraping because of the felt. I also decided that the pvc would prevent any damage to the slabs like scraping as I removed them. The top rows have 3 maple strips because the golden age books are a little thicker slabbed but it's imperceivable . Each row has a 1/2" lip top and bottom so the books are secured on both ends . The only challenge was keeping it all level. The whole thing ran me about 100.00 dollars. A beautiful mahogany would be sweet but all my trim in the room is white so why buy high end wood and have to paint it . Plus some of those books are barely worth the slabbing price so spending 500 on wood wasn't worth it :)

No idea if I did this right , but spent the weekend putting up my first comic wall ever. Not awesome stuff like I've seen in some of these posts, but they're mine so I like them :)....the Mrs. has her reservations considering it's the main hallway.

IMG_1316_zpszexcenxt.jpgIMG_1314_zpsmbrbupcm.jpg

Very nice :applause:

you need more slab books.... your wall could easily accommodate twice the number of slab you have now......

oh and (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

Ha ! Thanks...believe me I know...so I just sent 79 books out in august and when the mrs finds out how much I spent she's going to sell half . So...I have just enough room for the other half :) . None of the 79 out are worth much but my hulk 180 raw sold for 75.00 in auction and my superman 33 sold for 30.00 raw..cmon now :(....I'm forced to slab everything ..i'll be sending in my 1.00 box of scooby doo and richie rich next :)...oh...and i'm PMS'n today so sorry about the whine...I just saw a guys collection on here of AMS 1-50 all 9.6 WTF!!!! who has this kind of cash flow..you guys kill me :)

Decorated my office walls using good ole IKEA frames. Just added the Jawa cover to complete my Star Wars Action Figure Variant 12 back display. Also have a GOT sketch by Greg LaRocque and a Dr Who Amy Pond Sketch by Brad Hudson.

21k9k5l.jpg

25sy6wk.jpg

2rnvm8y.jpg

Decorated my office walls using good ole IKEA frames. Just added the Jawa cover to complete my Star Wars Action Figure Variant 12 back display. Also have a GOT sketch by Greg LaRocque and a Dr Who Amy Pond Sketch by Brad Hudson.

21k9k5l.jpg

25sy6wk.jpg

2rnvm8y.jpg

Nice :applause:

I am in process of setting up a comic room, and want to display original art with some statues. Has anyone used a specific setup for this? I am thinking of a simple ledge nailed into the wall next to the art or below it. Or would a long shelf across a wall look bad?

We will see how this goes with a first post. Not a room but how I store my comics. With the exception of the ghost rider ( purchased off ebay) I did all the graphics with a vinyl cutter and photoshop. The captain 4 drawer is full and the 2 drawer has one full drawer. Each drawer holds roughly 5 short boxes.

image.jpg1_zpszvurt3pc.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsuurebn5w.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsquuokvhr.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsg9i40jlk.jpg

image.jpg5_zpsxl5yw3ox.jpg

Wow they look great. What kind of drawers are they? This would be perfect for my books.

Did a bunch of work on my office this weekend (which is the comic room). I finished the bookcase door a little less than a year ago and on the opposite side of the room is a little closet area I've wanted to turn into the batcave. Finally took the time to do that over the weekend. It's about 80% complete:

2772CD05-320C-4423-A2DC-FC1B7F6B5A6B_zps0nxqgatd.jpg

C3E77955-8B42-43D3-B25F-E1FFD3437792_zpsgn7rqh4r.jpg

Nice batcave, nice costume too, not a member of the RPF are you?

Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean by "costume"... :baiting:

(I am or was - it's been a long time, and I think I have less than half a dozen posts)

Edited by Thawk

Same here, built so many paper models that I never got round to fibreglassing, just sitting on my shelf now.

Sorry, of course it's a costume, because I'M BATMAN :taptaptap:

Nice batcave, nice costume too, not a member of the RPF are you?

Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean by "costume"... :baiting:

(I am or was - it's been a long time, and I think I have less than half a dozen posts)

Damn Trevor that is AWESOME! (worship)

21k9k5l.jpg

25sy6wk.jpg

2rnvm8y.jpg

Got a link for these frames? I have searched the website and guess I missed them.

Thanks for any help.

I am in process of setting up a comic room, and want to display original art with some statues. Has anyone used a specific setup for this? I am thinking of a simple ledge nailed into the wall next to the art or below it. Or would a long shelf across a wall look bad?

Im of the cluttered mind...so to me,the more shelves to display the better..depending if they with take away from the eye appeal of the OA...shelf for the statues,sturdy ledge for books?Ive seen folk use molding to hold slabs,Mylars up near the ceiling,and it looks great!

Keep us updated.(I know you have nice stuff,id frame a PHOTOSTAT of your letter from Ditko)

21k9k5l.jpg

25sy6wk.jpg

2rnvm8y.jpg

Got a link for these frames? I have searched the website and guess I missed them.

Thanks for any help.

I use the NYTTJA frames from Ikea with black paper behind the comics... He might be using the same with white paper or the GUNNABO ones.

I just sent 3 of the NYTTJA frames off to Canada as part of a prize for a grading contest on another comic book forum site.

th_1_zpsmb5ttra0.jpg

Edited by manicnerd