• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,294 posts in this topic

Just a question... as I am turning a bedroom into an office...

I was thinking of getting these from IKEA for my comic book boxes.  They would definitely fit.  However, each shelf has a capacity of 29lbs.  Each short box weighs in at around 26lbs.  I do not think I am comfortable with that... (Unless anyone feels that it will do the job)

Let me know your thoughts or if you can suggest anything let me know. 

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70301542/

kallax-shelf-unit__0327434_PE520786_S4.JPG

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I was thinking of getting these from IKEA for my comic book boxes.  They would definitely fit.  However, each shelf has a capacity of 29lbs.  Each short box weighs in at around 26lbs.  I do not think I am comfortable with that... (Unless anyone feels that it will do the job)

Fill all of the bottom shelves with boxes and then 1 box per shelf. The rest of the openings fill with comic parphanelia. 

I need something for 12 short boxes and about 8 CGC boxes.  That fit the short boxes perfectly in terms of height, weight, and depth.   I don't think it will hold though. 

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I need something for 12 short boxes and about 8 CGC boxes.  That fit the short boxes perfectly in terms of height, weight, and depth.   I don't think it will hold though. 

9 boxes max I would say and even then, I wouldnt make the boxes on the higher shelves that heavy. Unless the boxes touch the bottom of the shelf above, which would help support the wait and allow it to hold more than 26lbs. 

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I would free up your books out of the short boxes, and put them in magazine holders.

9 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

If they advertise the capacity as 29 lbs, you can rest assured the actual capacity is higher than that.  All these companies have to put those numbers out there to avoid lawsuits, and there's no way they would publish a number that was close to the actual capacity.

10 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Hey Buzz, I think something as simple as some additional L brackets underneath the shelves would add a lot of strength if you're worried about sagging or breaking.

If you marked out the studs on the wall behind the unit first, you could even add some that would both anchor the unit to the wall, and shore up the back edge of some of the shelves. Something like this would work, and I'm sure the come in black to blend in better:

1132.png

3 minutes ago, Foley said:

Hey Buzz, I think something as simple as some additional L brackets underneath the shelves would add a lot of strength if you're worried about sagging or breaking.

If you marked out the studs on the wall behind the unit first, you could even add some that would both anchor the unit to the wall, and shore up the back edge of some of the shelves. Something like this would work, and I'm sure the come in black to blend in better:

1132.png

Only thing you have to worry about is screwing hardware into the compress board, which is probably what that shelving unit is made out of.

13 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Only thing you have to worry about is screwing hardware into the compress board, which is probably what that shelving unit is made out of.

True, that's a good point.

In my own experience I've never has an issue as long as I've pre-drilled a small pilot hole first (should have mentioned that.)

10 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Whilst I'm confident it would hold Buzz, I would feel the same as you and not 'trust' it. Trust is important considering what will be on it. The middle shelves have the benefit of uprights supporting them and will likely be strong (if you roll a sheet of paper into a tube you'll be amazed the weight it can support) but I'm concerned that the shelves which meet the side walls will only be attached by pegs or screws. Being chip board, over time they may crack through especially if you're planning to take the boxes on and off regularly.

For peace of mind, I would look for a strong metal equivalent. We had them in our work office and you can put an elephant on them. There's nothing worse than wondering if something is going to collapse, even if it is never going to.

I thought about using the Kallax for a long time (lots of Omnibus lovers use Kallax to hold their books, so it's certainly strong enough) (thumbsu

As I haven't got that many Omnibus's though .. I'm going to go for a Billy/Oxberg combination .. (perhaps something else for you to think about?)

Screenshot 2017-03-27 15.03.13.png

16 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Nah... didn't like those. They weren't as form fitting as a comic book box. 

True, but they obviously fit the shelves perfectly, would solve the weight problem and might not be as good as boxes for the raws but would definitely be fine for the slabs.  

Might be keeping the slabs at a differint

7 hours ago, Kenners said:

I thought about using the Kallax for a long time (lots of Omnibus lovers use Kallax to hold their books, so it's certainly strong enough) (thumbsu

As I haven't got that many Omnibus's though .. I'm going to go for a Billy/Oxberg combination .. (perhaps something else for you to think about?)

Screenshot 2017-03-27 15.03.13.png

hm A boardie is coming to Long Island to visit.  I might put him to work while he is here. lol