• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2023 at 1:29 PM, marmat said:

Sorry, I mispelled It.

It is The Quarrymen, the band that later envolved into The Beatles. They published a single in the late 50's, I think It is considered the first Beatles record. And if I remember correctly BZ posted his copy on the thread.

Anybody else remember that?

I never saw that. I am a Beatles collector. No Quarrymen singles were released. They did record a single acetate of  two songs:

200px-Percy_Phillips_record.jpg

The only copy to ever come up for auction sold to Paul McCartney for a lot of money. There are not supposed to be any others.

If Bangzoom got his hands on it I'd love to know. I doubt it because I don't think he's super-rich.

Maybe more likely is that he posted a copy of the first official recording put out for sale by members of the Beatles - My Bonnie and The Saints, a 1961 German only 45. 

On 10/2/2023 at 4:10 PM, sfcityduck said:

Maybe more likely is that he posted a copy of the first official recording put out for sale by members of the Beatles - My Bonnie and The Saints, a 1961 German only 45. 

this

On 10/2/2023 at 2:10 PM, sfcityduck said:

I never saw that. I am a Beatles collector. No Quarrymen singles were released. They did record a single acetate of  two songs:

200px-Percy_Phillips_record.jpg

The only copy to ever come up for auction sold to Paul McCartney for a lot of money. There are not supposed to be any others.

If Bangzoom got his hands on it I'd love to know. I doubt it because I don't think he's super-rich.

There was only the one copy ever made as far as I know.

“The finished record was shared between the boys although John got it first (of course!) Over the years they all got to have it until it finished up with Duff Lowe who held on to it until 1981 when he sold the recordings to Paul McCartney. Their estimated value at the time was around £12,000. McCartney had the record remastered and the songs reappeared on The Beatles’ Anthology 1album. In 2004, Record Collector magazine named the original pressing as the most valuable record in existence, estimating its worth at £100,000.”

Its also notable for this:

The Quarry Men’s (The Beatles) First-Ever Recording, ‘In Spite of All the Danger,’ Is the Only Song With a ‘McCartney-Harrison’ Writing Credit