• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heidi on the 'Bay

171 posts in this topic

I don’t want to get into a whole ‘thing’ with either of you fine gents, but enough with the finger pointing already (this really isn’t the place). Question: does anyone actually own a copy of the above mentioned book?

I do--it's water damaged (from a fire) but I can still make a good photocopy of it if you'd like.

Btw--a few years ago a couple of friends who are master costumers ask me about it because they were curious about her costumes. They were expecting some jaw dropping outfits for someone to rate their own fanzine published by a top comic publisher. They were a bit disappointed to see that it was a glorified family album punctuated with some famous writers and other notables and some very simplistic costumes.

angee

This is one of the greatest threads on the forums right now... too bad most probably aren't reading it! Ron, you're posts are fantastic about what was going on back then and Angelique, yours are giving a great first hand look to the story.

--Hi Buffyfan! Thanks for your kind words--I'm just glad that I've had an opportunity to tell of the times as one who was there. There's alot of misconceptions out there and I'd like to clear them up if possible. btw--did you read my interview?

Stage mothers & fathers are a horrible thing when it comes to kids, my ex-wife had done stage musicals for many years while she was young under the watchful eye of her "stage mother" and it definitely f-ed her up even now more than 20 years later.

--you hear about "stage mothers/fathers" and it's hard to believe that a loving parent would do that to their child but they do and you see alot more of it today in the form of beauty pagents for teens & tots as well as teen & pre-teen models & performers. (Hannah Montana & Bratz Dolls ---you're not helping...)

If you've seen the Heidi magazine, you see many photos of a happy little girl--you can tell that she loved pleasing her parents with her antics and was a natural for the camera. But children change and grow and become their own person.

I think her parents didn't take that into consideration once she became a teen.

Suddenly she went from cute little girl to total babe practically overnight--blame it on those crazy Finnish genes--and all mama could see was either dollar signs or stars.

A friend of Heidi's once told me of a time when an old friend was visiting her. Somehow the subject came up and Heidi pulled out a box of photos & memorabilia of her costume days. When the friend saw her from that time she said something about how great her mature body looked. To which Heidi smiled and agreed and then suddenly she added, "I really hated my body".

I think all of us can relate to that feeling we have as emerging adults dealing with our weird bodies.

It's one thing if kids show an interest in things like this, but anytime they're forced into participating in something they don't like or are led to believe that it's "best" for them, then a horrible wrong is being perpitrated.

--I've worked as a wardrobe assist for several shows ( road tours like "Barney" & "sound of music") that have children in them. And without fail, every one of those kids is there working on stage because they want to be there--nobody is pushing them into it--mom & dad are along for their ride. and in that case, that's how it should be.

angee

PS--I love Buffy et al too! have you seen the latest Angel/Forever Knight adaptation, "Moon Light" ?

Hi Red Raven,

You gave a link for something on ebay that sold for $86.--I opened it but the item was no longer displayed--what was it?

"http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300091587246&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

So, who's going to drop $400 on this little gem?

I thought about it but my zeal for completing a Warren run aint what it once was. I've been more into DC war comics (Enemy Ace!!!) than mags for a couple years now. I wouldnt have gone higher than $250 for Heidi,which means Ill probably never own one. "

Btw--if you're interested I'd be happy to send you a photocopy of the Heidi mag--just so you can see what all the fuss is about.

angee

Hi,

That was an auction for a copy of Heidi Saha I think... The auction ended at $861.00

It's been great reading about your recollections from that era!

--I've worked as a wardrobe assist for several shows ( road tours like "Barney" & "sound of music") that have children in them. And without fail, every one of those kids is there working on stage because they want to be there--nobody is pushing them into it--mom & dad are along for their ride. and in that case, that's how it should be.

angee

PS--I love Buffy et al too! have you seen the latest Angel/Forever Knight adaptation, "Moon Light" ?

No, I'll definitely have to check that out! What drew me to Buffy, even as an adult was the intelligent writing of the series. Sure some of it was fluff, but whenever Joss or Marni were involved with the writing it was always pure gold!

I discovered Buffy late and only through DVD's as I didn't have a Fox affiliate while the series was originally airing.

Another one on eBay but I don't understand the bidding, it looks like some insufficiently_thoughtful_person has bid himself up to $700 already...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270197440396&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT&ih=017

That's really odd... Could someone have bid him up and then retracted their bid?

Another one on eBay but I don't understand the bidding, it looks like some insufficiently_thoughtful_person has bid himself up to $700 already...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270197440396&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT&ih=017

That's really odd... Could someone have bid him up and then retracted their bid?

No... there was a reserve and he kept bidding to get up to it. (thumbs u

:sorry: I ah..... I used the wrong link. doh!

Because I have the day off, and I don't want to go out in the Tundra I did

a little search on Heidi. Looking at the Vampi. outfit she wore is strange

to say the least, to think that her mother would promote her this way at

that age.

All these behind the scenes going-ons, that I was oblivious to as a young

teenager. Now-a-days, so much is out in the open as far as pop culture

is concerned. It's interesting to find out about these things; things that

were part of my pop culture. Thank you Angee, and Ron for your postings.

There is an hour left and nobody has been on these things. I too find her face much more interesting than the other picture. She looks braindead, like someone who has been waiting in a checkout line for 45 minutes.

I hope she is having a success in her adult life.

Wouldn't you like to meet her mother?

That seller was James Van Hise. He's been involved in fandom for a long time, and has authored a couple books if memory serves correct. I wouldn't have thought much about the first pic, but the second pic is just a blatant shot of Saha's rear end. meh

I am now old. But around the time Heidi was prancing around conventions, pimply-faced nerds like myself couldn't get a pretty gal to give us a second glance, but at the comic cons there she was, Heidi. She was a comic nerds greatest fantasy, a vampy vampire, a curvaceous cave girl, whatever. I would love to see the Heidi book, not because I am into teen exploitation, but because I am nostalgic. We didn't realize she was so young at the time, afterall she was a towering figure, but she also wasn't much younger than a lot of the people gawking at her. I am sure there were old guys who were pervs staring at a scantily clad young girl, but a lot of us were close to her in age and just plain worshipped her. I hope that Heidi knows this, and doesn't judge comic fans harshly.