• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

western penn. collection?????

44 posts in this topic

I asked Mark Haspel at the San Diego dinner if he had any knowledge of any Golden Age books being part of the collection. He said that the earliest book that he had graded from the collection is from 1961.

Haspel told me the same thing. He also had no knowledge of the collection containing any early keys, but Chris has told me that's because they were sold before CGC came into existence. For example, the earliest Spidey CGC has seen is #41, but Chris says there was a complete run of that title in the collection.

I asked Mark Haspel at the San Diego dinner if he had any knowledge of any Golden Age books being part of the collection. He said that the earliest book that he had graded from the collection is from 1961.

Haspel told me the same thing. He also had no knowledge of the collection containing any early keys, but Chris has told me that's because they were sold before CGC came into existence. For example, the earliest Spidey CGC has seen is #41, but Chris says there was a complete run of that title in the collection.

Like I mentioned, the collection was mentioned over 10 years ago. Keith Contarino said that he bought a structurally perfect Strange Tales 110 that he downgraded due to "Marvel Yellowing". Also, I know that Chris auctioned off the Daredevil 1 and 2 raw on eBay in early 2000 just before CGC started. He subsequently advised me via EMAIL that he heard that the #1 graded a 9.6 but I can't confirm it. confused-smiley-013.gif

He subsequently advised me via EMAIL that he heard that the #1 graded a 9.6 but I can't confirm it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Haspel told me the DD 1 is an 8.5. There might have been dupes, I can't remember now; my notes are nowhere near me.

He subsequently advised me via EMAIL that he heard that the #1 graded a 9.6 but I can't confirm it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Haspel told me the DD 1 is an 8.5. There might have been dupes, I can't remember now; my notes are nowhere near me.

Considering that the copy on eBay sold for around $5,500, the buyer took a serious loss if it did come back as a 8.5. I recall that digital pictures were used in that auction and the book looked very nice from what I can see. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Considering that the copy on eBay sold for around $5,500, the buyer took a serious loss if it did come back as a 8.5. I recall that digital pictures were used in that auction and the book looked very nice from what I can see. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Unless there were dupes, it's an 8.5. I was shopping around for one earlier this year and Metropolis had it listed. The wanted $3300 for it. I obviously passed.

ok, from what i remember about the western pa pedigree from what the ebay seller told me

original owner was a guy called george whose father actually was a comic collector and passed on the golden age to george. im not sure how far the golden age dates back

george apparently never married and comics were basically his LIFE . he carried on the collecting tradition into the bronze age.

tom hanlin mentioned he had a shot at buying the marvels in the 80's. there are definitely dc's in the collection

to my knowledge this is the only 2nd generation original owner pedigree that spans golden and silver ages.

i dont know what happned to the golden age

from my hazy memory, i think keith contarino, sold runs of the major marvel titles in the early 90's see overstreet updates, i think #10,11

i know the western pa run of sea devils currently resides in scotland

yes, it encompassed all the major marvel tiles from, 1 up, this im pretty sure of

Hi All:

Fact: The original owners were father and son George was the son

Fact: All the early Marvels were there FF 1- up AF 15 ASM 1-up etc. I saw them, held them, dropped a few. Early Marvels in NM don't impress me.

Fact: Dr K bought the B&B 34-36 and Showcase 34-36. Received them and quickly sent them back, looking for perfection I guess. CGC Grades B&B 9.4,9.4, 9.4 Showcase 9.4, 9.6, 9.6. I think he regrets it to this day.

Fact: The seller on ebay is not the person that discovered the collection.

Fact: There were early keys, DC and Marvel.

Fact: There was no Action #1

Fact: The Bronze age books were untouched for years because everyone knew they would never be worth anything. grin.gif

Fact: The person that discovered the collection did not pedigree it.

Fact: Most books were sold before CGC was a twinkle in Steve Borock's eye.

Best, Tom

Hi all: Of course ther were Dc's in the Western Penn Collection. If the attachment works one will appear.

Best, Tom

Was there a Showcase 4 in the collection? If so, do you know the grade of it?

Hi Supa: I am not a big Marvel fan but I do know the TOS run was complete. As far as the 49 I don't recall the book. I do remember the Sgt Fury 13 was NM/M and sold for $75.

"The TTA 35-40 9.6 and about 45 0f the remaining 60 to 101 grading CGC 9.6

Strange Tales 101 9.4, 105-115 all CGC 9.6 "

Alot of the Marvels reside with high profile Collectors.

Best, Tom

Found it. Here's some of the books he was selling (as Vintage Investment Associates) and his grades for them:

Strange Tales 110 NM

105 VF+

106 NM

111 NM

113 VF+

116 NM-

118 NM-

126 NM-

TOS

40 NM

42 NM-

43 NM-