• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

80's Art Day: Mike Grell's JON SABLE, FREELANCE

8 posts in this topic

One of my favorite series from the 80's was Mike Grell's JON SABLE, FREELANCE. I'm so happy to add these two covers to my collection:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=253700&GSub=23865

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=253699&GSub=23865

From issues #17 and #18, the two-part "Deadly Games" arc. #17 was also used as a promo poster as well as a t-shirt (which, yes, I still have and NO, I will not be wearing any time soon!).

I really want to thank Roger Clark for remembering my want list and letting me know when these became available. Excellent, excellent service...thanks Roger!

The broom handle is great! Grell makes it look just like the real thing! Beautiful! (If you ever need to sell drop me a line)grin.gif

yay.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks for the nice words!

I definitely consider this to be Mike Grell's best work. Grell sort of went into auto-pilot near the end of the run (or maybe he was just burnt out), but the first 30 issues or so were great reading. You can get the entire run pretty cheaply off Ebay. IDW is also publishing reprints in tpb format. Enjoy!

Thanks Gene!

Obviously, I'm a fan as well. This book WAS a big deal in the 80's. Besides being a key title in the creator-owned, independent movement, it spawned its own (awful) short-lived tv series on ABC (8pm on Saturday nights, a time slot where network Standards and Practices would not allow gunplayforeheadslap.gif). It was optioned for a movie (by Gene Simmons!). And there was a Batman/Sable crossover that was announced (but never published Christo_pull_hair.gif).

OK, so maybe not everything turned up roses. But I'd love to see Grell conclude the saga in a meaningful way on his own terms. Barring that, I would hope that he allows the stories to continue under another creator's stewardship...the character is too cool to fade into obscurity.