• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Does Interior Tape Affect an Otherwise High-Grade Book?

10 posts in this topic

I have a high grade (VF+ 8.5, white pages) early issue of Amazing Spider-Man. Its a beautiful book, but I noticed the other day both the inside front and back covers have four small (1/1 inch square) pieces of scotch tape on them. I have no idea why the tape pieces are there, and they cannot be seen by looking at the outside of the book, either front or back.

Usually, tape automatically takes you down to the VG or G grade. But thats tape on the cover. How would you grade this book?

I dunno. I've seen CGC give a book a 9.0 with this interior tape problem.

I just can't see not having tape removed...it's like seeing a silverfish in a comic bag and not getting it out! They're both just gonna eat away at the book...

I have an opportunity to buy a copy of ASM #1 in fine condition (from what I can tell) for a seemingly good price. The seller has notified me that there is a piece of tape inside the front cover, securing nothing and holding nothing in place. Is there a safe way to have it removed so it doesn't hurt the paper over the long haul OR do you have to hire a pro to remove it? IS it restoration to have it removed?

I have an opportunity to buy a copy of ASM #1 in fine condition (from what I can tell) for a seemingly good price. The seller has notified me that there is a piece of tape inside the front cover, securing nothing and holding nothing in place. Is there a safe way to have it removed so it doesn't hurt the paper over the long haul OR do you have to hire a pro to remove it? IS it restoration to have it removed?

JJ: it's like a band-aid ... just grab that sucker and RIP it off quick! devil.gif

I dunno. I've seen CGC give a book a 9.0 with this interior tape problem.

I just can't see not having tape removed...it's like seeing a silverfish in a comic bag and not getting it out! They're both just gonna eat away at the book...

I'm with FF on this one... to my understanding/experience, such tape will inevitably deteriorate the page to which it's affixed - if it hasn't done so already. If the tape is simply stuck to the interior cover, having it removed is a good idea...but I'd opt to let a professional do this on any book worth more than a few hundred bucks.