• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper Age War Comics
1 1

118 posts in this topic

Great Books Shep!! I actually need a couple of those. Copper sorta flows into modern books for me. Battler Britain, Outside etc... I would like to have some one review Luftwaffe 1946 (Ted Nomura, Antartic press). I almost started piecing this run together a couple of times but the my $ went to other books. I would love to see what people have to say about it before I spend the $? Larry

BTW did anybody read Luftwaffe 1946??????

Hey larry,

I have one issue of Luftwaffe 1946 and seem to reemember liking it, but I haven't been able to locate that copy doh!

The series is about Luftwaffe Fighter Squardron (imagine that) in an alternate world in whuch German super-weapons had tured the tide of the war.

However, I can't remember if the war was still ongoing in the story or this was a tale of the post war world.

Hope that helps some (shrug)

I wouldn't mind finding and reading the rest of the series if anyone has copies :wishluck:

Thanks Karma, Looks like the series (Vol 1) was a four part mini-series started in about 7/96 and then (vol 2) ran another 16 issues with an Ann and 2 SE. Looks like 3 books were put out one covering the Vol 1 and 2 & 3 covering Vol 2. Looks like an interesting series. Any more reviews???

Thanks Larry

As I keep nosing around war comics of this era, I'm surprised how much solid war material appeared. To wit, this great series from Apple Comics.... well written and surprisingly well-drawn by Wayne VanSant.

dod1.jpg

dod2.jpg

dod3.jpg

Hey Larry,

Yeah, there were six in this series and another four in a companion title called 'Days of Wrath'.

You should be able to pick the whole shootin' match up off ebay for about $20. Don't look for NMs though... like a lot of esoteric copper age, these titles spent a lot of time in the quarter bins.

Shep

Wow, I've never even heard of these but they look great.

I'll have to keep an eye open for those.

How's the artwork Shep? I'm not familiar with Vansant, although it says 'Artist of The'Nam', I'm afraid I left the title when Golden did.

Well, Wayne Vansant is no Russ Heath, but I will give him some props - very good attention to detail and he knows how to pack a lot of action into a frame. The interior artwork is in black and white, but it seems to work.

If you pick these up and like them, try and find the Marvel's 'Savage Tales' magazine from the mid-1980s. Vansant has a couple of stories in there, but there are also some great art jobs by Michael Golden and John Severin on a few war stories.

Shep