• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper Age War Comics
1 1

118 posts in this topic

I have been looking at this piece for about 2 months and just pulled the trigger last week. I should be getting it shortly. Heath, The Nam #65 page 17. I feel this is the best page out of the book. TheNam65OApage17-1.jpg

That's the exact piece I was looking at and debating if I should get into this OA addiction and figured I can't afford all the comics I want at the moment so I better hold off for now.

NIce pick-up and that's a beautiful example of his work. thumbsup2.gif

I've been taking a little break from my Silver and Bronze war comic collection, and sorting through the Copper war books I have. I'm actually quite surprised by the quality of marvel and small-press war books from the 1984-1994 era... quite a lot better than DC war comics of the late 1970s, to be sure! (Granted, I love those books too.)

The 'Nam was the quintessential Copper Age war book. The interior quality varied, but the covers were generally very good, with a few true standouts. Here are a few.

Michael Golden...

nam2.jpg

And then there are the smaller press books. This is the most exciting and frustrating area of Copper Age war comics, to me. Press runs are small, and finding some of these in grade can be hard. But the cool thing is that some of these books are virtually unknown, and a few real gems are out there.

Here's Battle Group Peiper, by Wayne VanSant. Historical-story, with solid b&w art. This is NOT listed in Overstreet, and I happened on it completely by accident. Printed by Tome Publishing. If anyone has any information on issues of this ilk from this publisher, please let us all know.

bgp.jpg

And mere months before Harvey Kurtzman passed away, he revived Two Fisted Tales. Solid stories, and a reprint of the classic 1950s EC tale 'Corpse on the Imjin'. Heavy stock cover makes it tough to find in grade.

tft1.jpg

Another great series, Don Lomax' Vietnam Journal. I don't love the art, but the stories are grittier and more impactful than the 'Nam or Semper Fi. Here's #11. This can be a tough run to complete, unless you find a batch on ebay. Published by Apple.

vj11.jpg

And finally for today, after Sgt. Rock was cancelled as a regular series, DC did a few 'Special' series runs. Mostly reprints, with new tales of variable quality. If there is ONE issue you should get, this is it. Russ Heath draws his first new Haunted Tank story since 1971 in this issue, and the artwork is just sublime. Here's the cover you're looking for...

srs2.jpg

And finally for today, after Sgt. Rock was cancelled as a regular series, DC did a few 'Special' series runs. Mostly reprints, with new tales of variable quality. If there is ONE issue you should get, this is it. Russ Heath draws his first new Haunted Tank story since 1971 in this issue, and the artwork is just sublime. Here's the cover you're looking for...

srs2.jpg

Got it. I had that book since it came out. :cloud9:

And mere months before Harvey Kurtzman passed away, he revived Two Fisted Tales. Solid stories, and a reprint of the classic 1950s EC tale 'Corpse on the Imjin'. Heavy stock cover makes it tough to find in grade.

Great books you've posted - I'll definitely be on the lookout for this book and the Sgt. Rock Special! (thumbs u