• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper Age War Comics
1 1

118 posts in this topic

Golden again...

nam5.jpg

Did you know that this is a censored cover? There was originally a severed head on the ground (belonging to the corpse on the right I believe) but it was pulled for being too graphic. If only I could remember where I saw the original cover, back in the day. Maybe in a Comics Scene article. But I can't be sure.

I like the story behind it, because it reminds me of a lot of the E.C. covers that got toned down 30 years prior.

Wow, I've never even heard of these but they look great.

I'll have to keep an eye open for those.

How's the artwork Shep? I'm not familiar with Vansant, although it says 'Artist of The'Nam', I'm afraid I left the title when Golden did

Well, Wayne Vansant is no Russ Heath, but I will give him some props - very good attention to detail and he knows how to pack a lot of action into a frame. The interior artwork is in black and white, but it seems to work.

If you pick these up and like them, try and find the Marvel's 'Savage Tales' magazine from the mid-1980s. Vansant has a couple of stories in there, but there are also some great art jobs by Michael Golden and John Severin on a few war stories.

Shep

I met Van Sant at the Atlanta Comic Convention earlier this year. I had never heard of him before, but was impressed by his personality and skill. I was able to pick up some original art (he had tons for sale at low prices).

Hello Hello is anybody in here. I have a question as to when the copper age stops and Moderns start. I have some books to post and was wondering if this is the appropriate thread.

Larry

As far as I'm concerned, anything 80's qualifies. Whatcha got?

Hey Guys, I got a bunch of copper and modern War in. Over the last 2 - 3 months I have really concentrated on these. I want to read each series or comic and maybe give a little synopsis or thumbs up or other before I post. I know we will never get back the solid DC War books that we love (those days seem to be long gone) but I feel to get any new war published we will have to support what is out there. Unfornuatly, some of the companies that used to support war books are no longer with us. They either went under or were purchased by other companies and lines were dropped. I know Wayne Vansant has a couple of completed war graphic novels done for quite a long time but has not seemed to be able to get them published. I hope to be able to share some new books with you guys. Its been really fun searching out some of these books and I'm by far from being complete. Always looking for NM books which are hard to come by as most of these were in the .25 to $1 bins. I know not everybodys cup of tea is War with robots or War in the hot zone but Hey we already have done War with dinosaurs (SSWS) or horror/war (Weird War) and we found many of these very endearing with Awesome covers. I would like to post books all the way to 2007 since I feel some of these should get supported! Should I post these here or start a modern thread for books 95 to present? Let me know guys and I will get the ball rolling.

Larry

Hey Larry,

I'd post 'em here, just for the sake of keeping it concentrated in one place.

I too have picked up quite a number of Copper War books lately - got a full NM run of Vietnam Journal (great) for $10.00. Quite ridiclulous.

But yeah, love to see what you got!

Talk soon,

Shep

Hey Guys, This week I picked a new series called The Other Side. This series can be found for about $1 - $2 a piece with the graphic novel going for about $12.99 US. I thought this was worth the money! I loved the duel character story line and the meeting of the charaters at Khe Sahn, Vietnam and beyond. There is not much fighting in this one it was more about life and war or war and life? I have read this one two times in two months and the movie it reminds me of is The Thin Red Line (maybe a little Apocalypse Now). The first two issues had appearances of comics from Flash, OAAW, GI Combat, SSWS and a reference to the Unknown Soldier. It was interesting to see what they said about the character that read these books and about the comics themselves. I would love to see another war series from Jason Aaron.

The Other Side

Veritgo

5 issues

1 graphic novel

12/06-04/07

Jason Aaron writer

Cameron Stewart artist

otherside1.jpg[/img]

otherside2.jpg[/img]

otherside3.jpg[/img]

otherside4.jpg[/img]

otherside5.jpg[/img]

The Graphic Novel:

othersidegraphicnovelfront.jpg[/img]

othersidegraphicnovelbacktop.jpg[/img]

othersidegraphicnovelbackbottom.jpg[/img]

I know some of you have read these already and I would love to hear your feeback. I hoped you like the format that I put this in? I have about 60 more books to go through and the next series will be from about 10 years ago. I will try to post review weekly. Let me know what you think? Thanks Larry

Edited by Hedge

Hey Guys, I just finished another series called Team Yankee. This series takes place in the Cold War era and plays out the scenario of the first 12 days of WW 3. If you like tank action then this ones for you! This one is battle packed tank v tank. This series got better as it went along. It was hard for me to pick up on all the characters at first and it seemed to try to overexplain itself. At certain points I couldn't tell who was blowing who up? All in all this is worth a read and these can be found cheap on e-bay.

Team Yankee

First Comics ( Berklely/First Publishing)

6 book series $1.95 cover

All six books published between 1/89 and 2/89

1 Graphic Novel $12.95

Writer David Drake

Illustrated Rod Whigham

TeamYankee1.jpg[/img]

TeamYankee2.jpg[/img]

TeamYankee3.jpg[/img]

TeamYankee4.jpg[/img]

TeamYankee5.jpg[/img]

TeamYankee6.jpg[/img]

TeamYankeegraphicnovelfront.jpg[/img]

TeamYankeegraphicnovelback.jpg[/img]

I hope this helps!! If you ever need any help locating any of the books I'm posting Please pm me and I maybe able to help! Next week I will do a couple of one shots!

Thanks Larry

Edited by Hedge