• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smorgasbord of Ultra-High Grade Silver Age DCs

66 posts in this topic

It's time to hype a bunch of new SA DCs that I've got up on Heritage!!!

Atoms, most of the Hawkman run on Brave & The Bold, the Atom run on Showcase, the second Metal Men appearance in Showcase, and one early Flash.

For pedigree fans, there are Western Penns galore, a White Mountain and one Mass thrown in for good measure.

All are in CGC 9.4 or above. With the exception of a few of the Atoms from 1964, all of the books are from the notoriously difficult pre-1964 period, with many being from 1961 and 1962.

I will immodestly say these are the finest sets of these books that have ever been publicly offered. Almost all are top of Census, with more than a few being all alone at the top of the Census (sometimes by several grades). The last time I checked, the CGC 9.8 Showcase #38 (second Metal Men appearance) was the earliest 9.8 SA DC in the Census.

Full Disclosure Dept.: To my knowledge, none of these books has been pressed, restored or otherwise manipulated. Many of the slabs still have the old labels, and were acquired by me in 2003 or earlier. The Western Penns were obtained either directly from Tom Hanlin (Linmoth on these Boards) or from a collector who had obtained them directly from Tom. Tom (I believe) purchased them directly from the person who discovered the Western Penn collection, and he personally submitted them to CGC. He has told me that the Western Penns have not been pressed or otherwise manipulated.

In each description of the individual books, I will try to provide as much info about the provenance of the book as I can.

First up (I'll be posting a book a day):

Brave and the Bold #34--CGC 9.4, Off-White Pages, Western Penn pedigree, top of the census with several other copies

Besides being a major DC SA key as the first appearance of the Silver Age Hawkman, this is a book that is notorious for being miswrapped, so the fact that this book is extremely well-centered has been noted (in some cases with amazement) by several knowledgeable SA DC collectors. Quite frankly, Heritage did a krappy job with the scans for many of my books in this consignment, and in this case the scan makes the book look dull and lifeless. I can assure you the book has the typical Western Penn lustre and looks brand new with an electric blue cover.

Purchased from a collector who purchased it from Tom Hanlin, who purchased it from the discoverer of the Western Penn collection.

312354.jpg

Next up:

Brave & the Bold #35--CGC 9.4, Cream to Off-White Pages, Western Penn pedigree, top of the Census with one other copy

Second appearance of the Silver Age Hawkman. Incredibly difficult to find in grade, much more difficult than finding a NM copy of #34. I've only personally seen one other copy that looked as nice, until I turned it over and saw that 1/8" of the bottom corner had been nipped off. For PQ mavens, the C-OW designation was given under the old label, when CGC used to be tougher on PQ, so if it were submitted today it could very well get OW or better from CGC.

Once again, the Heritage scan doesn't do the book justice, because in person the book pops.

Purchased from a collector who purchased it from Tom Hanlin, who purchased it from the discoverer of the Western Penn collection.

291997.jpg

Next up:

Brave & the Bold #36--CGC 9.4, White Pages(!), Western Penn pedigree, top of the Census all by itself (next best copy is a 9.0).

Third appearance of the Silver Age Hawkman, and featuring one of my favorite SA DC covers. Flat out impossible to find in NM.

Once again, the Heritage scan doesn't do the book justice, because in person the book pops, so I'm posting both the Heritage scan and my own scan.

291998.jpg

BB36-1.jpg

takeit.gif your scanner that is...I think I cannot afford your books...but I think your scanner is within my budget. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifstooges.gif

Two words for you, Benson: time payments! poke2.gif

great books! btw, is the showcase 34 your book also?

Thanks, yes it is. I'll be posting it up in this thread in a few days.

Last of the Hawkman B&Bs:

Brave & the Bold #43--CGC 9.4, Off-White to White Pages, White Mountain pedigree, top of the Census with two other copies.

This was the middle issue in the Silver Age Hawkman's second stint in Brave & the Bold before DC gave him his own title, and features a more detailed origin. A gorgeous copy!

Once again, the Heritage scan doesn't do the book justice, because in person the book has the lustre and preservation that White Mountains are reknowned for. Unfortunately, I don't have my own scan of this book so we'll have just have to rely on Heritage's washed-out scan.

Purchased from Steve Lauterbach back in 2002 or so.

312355.jpg

Here's what it will look like if you win all of the B&Bs!

GroupShotHawkman-1.jpg

does that mean you're throwing in the chairs? i guess i've gotta bite the bullet and get on line at my PO to pick up the dang catalogue. Great books as always- good luck.

does that mean you're throwing in the chairs?

27_laughing.gif We aims to please! If anyone wins all 4 books and confirms that to me, I will ship them the 3 Chinese-style chairs pictured (although they might look out of place without the dining table set that they're part of).

i guess i've gotta bite the bullet and get on line at my PO to pick up the dang catalogue. Great books as always- good luck.

Thanks Mike. I have to say that this is the best SA selection I've seen from Heritage in about 3 or 4 years. Finally an auction for the non-GA collectors.

Turning now to the Showcases:

Showcase #34--CGC 9.4, Off-White Pages, top of the Census with one other copy.

Besides being a beautiful copy of the first appearance of the Silver Age Atom, which features a classic cover, and being really hard to find in NM, there's really nothing special about this book! tongue.gif It's at the top of the Census along with the Western Penn copy, but this copy blows away the Western Penn copy, in my opinion, and you all know how much I love them Western Penns!

I forgot to mention, this is one of the best centered copies of this book that you'll ever find!

Purchased from Mark Wilson in 2003.

321756.jpg

Wow, the deafening silence! Not even the Showcase 34 could get a rise out of the peanut gallery! frown.gif

But, we will forge on! sumo.gif

Showcase #35--CGC 9.6, Off-White to White Pages, Western Penn pedigree, top of the Census all by its lonesome.

Okay, if this can't get your juices going, then nothing will! Second appearance of the Silver Age Atom. The only word for this copy is "stunning". It also features one of my favorite Atom covers. Not much else I can say.

Purchased directly from Tom Hanlin/Linmoth in 2004.

321759.jpg

Besides being a beautiful copy of the first appearance of the Silver Age Atom, which features a classic cover, and being really hard to find in NM, there's really nothing special about this book! tongue.gif It's at the top of the Census along with the Western Penn copy, but this copy blows away the Western Penn copy, in my opinion, and you all know how much I love them Western Penns!

I forgot to mention, this is one of the best centered copies of this book that you'll ever find!

321756.jpg

hail.gif nice book! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif still thinking if i'm going to bite the bullet.

i was curious why you did not have the western penn copy, i thought someone beat you to it but i think its not the case?

hail.gif nice book! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif still thinking if i'm going to bite the bullet.

893whatthe.gifheadbang.gif

i was curious why you did not have the western penn copy, i thought someone beat you to it but i think its not the case?

I bought my Showcase #34 well before the Western Penn copy ever came up for sale. When the Western Penn copy went up on Heritage, I talked to some people about doing a swap so I could buy the Western Penny copy and reunite the set, but I didn't try real hard. The reason was that, as I said above, my Showcase #34 "blows away the Western Penn copy", which admittedly was surprising considering it was purchased by the OO just one month before he purchased the stunning #35 and 36, and I would assume they were all stored together. confused-smiley-013.gif

But don't take my less than objective word for it, compare scans of my Showcase #34 with the Western Penn copy in Heritage's archives.

321756.jpg

captain underbidder to the rescue.