• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smorgasbord of Ultra-High Grade Silver Age DCs

66 posts in this topic

I liked Adam Strange and Flash a lot more. Adam Strange's rigid structure of catching the Zeta beam on page 2 and arriving just as a global catastrophy was beginning... and have Adam solve it in 6 pages and get zapped back to Earth just as he was settling in with Alanna for his reward? priceless. Both he and Flash also had strong scientific underpinnings to the plots. They were very clever and a good read. Hawkman was in the same mold, certainly, but for me? ehhhhhh.. nat so mach!

I WAS old enough... but still a small fry!

A guy who wears huge wings to fly??

It was the wings that made him cool! makepoint.gif Hawkman had by far my favorite costume among all the DC superheroes. The rest were just a bunch of guys in masks and tights. He had a mask that looked like a hawk's head. AND HE HAD BIG FREAKIN' WINGS!!! headbang.gif

And he had a hot wife who fought alongside him, instead of being just another nagging bimbo (e.g., Iris, Carol Ferris, Lois Lane, etc. etc.) that had to be mollified and kept in the dark.

Thanks to Aman, who couldn't have provided a better segue into the next book if I'd paid him! grin.gif

Atom #7--CGC 9.4, Off-White to White Pages, second highest grade in the Census sorry.gif

A classic cover featuring EVERYONE's favorite DC superhero, Hawkman! 27_laughing.gif Superheros, aliens, and Hawkman wielding a big mofo-ing mace on a chain! hail.gif What's not to love for every redblooded boy growing up in 1963? A gorgeous copy that for some reason Heritage decided to use an odd color setting in their scan (again). Christo_pull_hair.gif

Obtained in a trade with Josh Nathanson in 2001 or 2002.

312347.jpg

Continuing with the Atoms...

Atom #10--CGC 9.4, White Pages, second highest grade in the Census, from the Sid's Luncheonette collection

Besides the fact that this issue has one of my favorite Atom covers, besides that it has white pages and an incredibly lustrous cover, besides that it's one of the nicest 9.4s I have EVER seen and still have no idea why it wasn't graded a 9.6 by CGC, and besides that it was purchased off the stands by the boards' own Harry Burns/Burntboy when he was a young man and then perfectly preserved in the ensuing decades, this book has nothing going for it! wink.gif

Sorry to keep sounding like the broken record, but ignore the color quality of Heritage's scan.

Purchased from PedigreeComics.com in 2005. Slabbed directly by Harry, who has expressly stated that prior to being slabbed, this copy has never been restored, pressed or otherwise improved.

312349.jpg

Continuing with the Atoms...

Atom #10--CGC 9.4, White Pages, second highest grade in the Census, from the Sid's Luncheonette collection

Besides the fact that this issue has one of my favorite Atom covers, besides that it has white pages and an incredibly lustrous cover, besides that it's one of the nicest 9.4s I have EVER seen and still have no idea why it wasn't graded a 9.6 by CGC, and besides that it was purchased off the stands by the boards' own Harry Burns/Burntboy when he was a young man and then perfectly preserved in the ensuing decades, this book has nothing going for it! wink.gif

Sorry to keep sounding like the broken record, but ignore the color quality of Heritage's scan.

Purchased from PedigreeComics.com in 2005. Slabbed directly by Harry, who has expressly stated that prior to being slabbed, this copy has never been restored, pressed or otherwise improved.

312349.jpg

Nice cover! makes me want to crack it and read the story behind the cover.

Atom #13--CGC 9.6, Off-white to White Pages, top of the Census with one other copy

A beautiful copy which Heritage seemed to have scanned properly for a change. The white "spotting" are on the slab, and not the book itself. For those who don't like writing on the covers, there is a "4 2" written in grease pencil on the "A" of Atom.

Purchased from ComicLink in 2000 (one of my first purchases of a slabbed book).

312350.jpg

By the way, I noticed that reserves have been posted on Heritage now. Not a problem here, because real men don't need no stinkin' reserves! No reserves on any of my books! They will all sell!

By the way, I noticed that reserves have been posted on Heritage now. Not a problem here, because real men don't need no stinkin' reserves! No reserves on any of my books! They will all sell!

Not as big as showcase4's, but you got balls! poke2.gif

Not as big as showcase4's, but you got balls! poke2.gif

Well, there's actually a market for HG SA DCs. confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif

Second to last book...

Atom #14--CGC 9.4, White Pages, top of the Census with 2 other copies

Great cover, beautiful copy, and white pages. What else can I say?

Purchased from a private collector in 2002.

312351.jpg

Final book that I'm listing. My spam-fest of the boards is almost at an end...

Atom #15--CGC 9.6, Off-White pages, top of the Census with one other copy.

Very pretty copy. Not often seen in NM, let alone NM+.

Purchased from Heritage in October 2005.

312352.jpg

My spam-fest of the boards is almost at an end...

I lied... devil.gif

Here is a pic of what it would like if anyone could win all the Atom Showcases and Atoms that I've got consigned:

GroupShotAtom-1.jpg

Win a bunch of the other Atoms in the auction (not mine, and no idea whose they are) and you can create an even better pic!

Unreal. But that Showcase 35 looks like it's hanging on by a prayer! 893whatthe.gif

Time for the obligatory Less-Than-24-Hours-of-Internet-Bidding bumpit.gif

And now it's time for the obligatory Just-A-Few-Hours-To-Go-Until-Live-Floor-Auction-Begins bumpit.gif