• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thor appreciation thread
10 10

741 posts in this topic

On 11/5/2018 at 6:19 PM, Mucheee1 said:

Here's the next issue. Love the Kirby art.

Thor127.jpg

Anybody catch the fact that this cover is visible on the wall of Mr. Glass' art gallery in the film Unbreakable?

I'm having a hard time finding a clip with the proof, but I remember seeing it, clear as day, in the theater.

On 11/7/2018 at 3:47 AM, namisgr said:

With 68 entries in the census (and counting) at CGC 9.8, this warehouse find of an ish is by far the most common and most affordable early Thor book.  It doesn't hurt that it's got great story and art, and the first appearance of Ego.

So what's the toughest 12c Thor? I could look at the census, (just did, 2 9.8s and 9 at 9.6) but just in my experience it was 126 until a few years ago when it received the "first app. in own title bump" then a bunch came out of the wood work.  This book was notorious for tanning and just not having crisp whites. even on some of the pedigree copies :whatthe:  it also had the typical top left corner fraying in the green area of the Avatar (DD1 has this issue on many copies). I have never seen the Pac Coast copy, and I think there is a Curator as well, again never seen it.  I was the under bidder many many many moons ago on the White Mountain and kick myself every time for that one, but JIM was still king then and JIM 83 was still considered the #1 with book was soooooo far behind Cap 100 and Hulk 102 in terms of desirability for a long time.  Finally picked up a very white 9.0 and am happy with that book unless the Twin Cities came up again (there is a 9.8 Boston, but for my money and the probably cost), the 9.6 TC is a better book.

35 minutes ago, jbud73 said:

So what's the toughest 12c Thor? I could look at the census, (just did, 2 9.8s and 9 at 9.6) but just in my experience it was 126 until a few years ago when it received the "first app. in own title bump" then a bunch came out of the wood work. 

Thor #129.  Only four copies in 9.6 and none in 9.8.  Followed by #136, with five copies in 9.6 and none in 9.8.

This was my old copy, a 9.4 from the Northland pedigree:

Thor129NLsale.JPG.a16f9e30c1d8a9f9ef16b356d189d83d.JPG

Edited by namisgr

You know I was never a Thor fan until the Simonson run.  Being a GenX Copper kid that was the thor that hooked me.  I started to back issue it a bit and have to say that the stories in the Silver Age were a little hokey, but I really think Kirby hit his Prime stride on Thor. I'm sure the FF'ers will consider that blasphemy (I always counter that the best thing Kirby drew on FF was the Silver Surfer), but that's just me.  His large panel interiors and just dynamic large figure rendering of Thor always seemed to bring so much more to the character, which was needed given the aforementioned meh stories.

Having recently assembled a high-grade run, I can say (purely anecdotally) that #141 through #145 were the hardest to track down, with #145 still the only Kirby book remaining on my want list.  #150 was also really tough, and of course the few copies available tended to have inflated asking prices due to movie hype.  I only recently was able to grab a #168.

The Buscema books in the 180s have also been tough, with #184 still sitting on my want list.

Going back to the JIM days, the run is notoriously difficult to assemble in ultra high grade (say, 9.4).  I decided I would try to get 9.4s from #100 up, and found #102, 103, and 118 (all movie books) to be the most difficult.  #119 was tough too, as I recall.

More former copies.  These were from the same submission to CGC, and have adjacent certification numbers:

Thor141sale.JPG.835adef08d70350e6418efb1f8a9025a.JPG

Thor145sale.JPG.cd9855a45491fb249b812d624f2da374.JPG

My entire Silver Age Thor run was offered for sale first right here on the Boards, way back in 2010:

Edited by namisgr

13 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Yep, that #145 is exactly what I'm looking for!

Fortunately, Lou, the hunt is a large part of the fun!

Linking my old sales thread gives me the great pleasure of seeing scans of the old Thor collection all in one place, but man!  Some of the prices from nine years ago are cringeworthy in today's market.

Edited by namisgr

I'd say that a lot of the prices you realized almost 10 years ago have held up today.  The Thor 12c Market is pretty stable, the Warlock books got a bit of a movie bump, but I paid less for my 126 than you realized for yours I believe, even the 129 has shown a very few scattered sales.  I remember your sales thread well and had I not been focused on DD at the time would have definitely like to have bought a few.  Wonder if foolkiller still has those books :bigsmile:

Here is another book that I found a tad difficult in terms of quality production, Thor Annual 2 this is the Don/Maggie Copy.

And my favorite 12c Cover, THOR 157. I wish I had bought your Pac Coast, but this is the Suscha; this book is NOTORIOUS for a bad miss wrap, this copy definitely does not suffer from that QP defect.

ThorAnn2.jpg

Thor157(Suscha).jpg

1 hour ago, jbud73 said:

I'd say that a lot of the prices you realized almost 10 years ago have held up today.  The Thor 12c Market is pretty stable, the Warlock books got a bit of a movie bump, but I paid less for my 126 than you realized for yours I believe, even the 129 has shown a very few scattered sales.  I remember your sales thread well and had I not been focused on DD at the time would have definitely like to have bought a few.  Wonder if foolkiller still has those books :bigsmile:

Here is another book that I found a tad difficult in terms of quality production, Thor Annual 2 this is the Don/Maggie Copy.

And my favorite 12c Cover, THOR 157. I wish I had bought your Pac Coast, but this is the Suscha; this book is NOTORIOUS for a bad miss wrap, this copy definitely does not suffer from that QP defect.

ThorAnn2.jpg

Thor157(Suscha).jpg

You're absolutely right about the 157.  The wrap on yours is perfect ... here's mine, the best I could find over the course of several months of shopping.

Thor 157 CGC 9.4.jpg

Ok, I got inspired by this thread and dug out my JIM/Thors.

I need a favor.

I found out two things; 1. I needed to rebag and board lots of them (handled it), and 2. Many of them are in really bad shape. The favor I need is this...nobody start a high grade Thor thread in the sales forum! I’m not in a condition to defend myself!