• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thor appreciation thread
10 10

741 posts in this topic

I love Thor!

The run up to about 300 is really pretty fun with some terrific art.

I've been enjoying the 200-250 era a lot lately, as I've been upgrading. Romita's cover to #229 in particular.

I was wondering how difficult finding a nice (9.0 or better) copy of #134 was for you fellow Thor collectors?

That is one that has eluded me for now, and I really love the cover.

1 minute ago, RayJr said:

I love me some Thor as well brother. I haven’t gotten a 9.0 yet. I’m more focused on Thor God of Thunder and Thor vol 2 to get all graded. Then I’ll finish JIM and then work on vol 1.

I love it.  The blueprints to the master plan are all drawn up, now it's time to execute.  (thumbsu

On 4/10/2019 at 10:38 AM, HighVoltage said:

I love Thor!

The run up to about 300 is really pretty fun with some terrific art.

I've been enjoying the 200-250 era a lot lately, as I've been upgrading. Romita's cover to #229 in particular.

I was wondering how difficult finding a nice (9.0 or better) copy of #134 was for you fellow Thor collectors?

That is one that has eluded me for now, and I really love the cover.

Agree with everything you've said, but if you're going to go up to 300 then definitely don't stop there, Walt SImonson is right around the corner!

As for #134, when I started upgrading my collection two years ago, for whatever reason I was able to find a great copy within a few months.  Maybe I just got lucky?  For me #145 is the last holdout.

900011108_Thor134CGC9.4.thumb.jpg.f4092dcde1319d2b85c4ab2004dd0bb1.jpg

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

Fellow Thor collectors, you know what really grinds my gears? I always look for deals on eBay to add the Thor slabs to my collection if I find a nice high grade. So when I see a book for a ridiculous price it turns me away. I got it, everyone wants to make that $$$ but when I know I can get a raw copy and get a sig myself and come out a lot cheaper in the end, it helps me forget about that overpriced eBay seller lol.

6 minutes ago, RayJr said:

Fellow Thor collectors, you know what really grinds my gears? I always look for deals on eBay to add the Thor slabs to my collection if I find a nice high grade. So when I see a book for a ridiculous price it turns me away. I got it, everyone wants to make that $$$ but when I know I can get a raw copy and get a sig myself and come out a lot cheaper in the end, it helps me forget about that overpriced eBay seller lol.

There are so many eBay sellers whose entire strategy seems to center around overpricing books and being patient.  You see it on the high grade / key books, and you even see it on the common books.  Either way they are betting that eventually someone will be desperate enough to accept their price, and it only takes one.  To some degree they may even be hoping to influence the market by planting the idea that a book's value is way higher than the market seems to say it is.

It's not really that different from buying shares of a stock and then placing a sell order on them at a price well above current market, hoping that eventually the market will meet your price.  If you have the luxury of tying up your cash in a book for a long time, it's a potentially winning speculation strategy.  But it certainly is frustrating for those of us who are trying to buy and see a book we need tied up in this way.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

8 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

There are so many eBay sellers whose entire strategy seems to center around overpricing books and being patient.  You see it on the high grade / key books, and you even see it on the common books.  Either way they are betting that eventually someone will be desperate enough to accept their price, and it only takes one.  To some degree they may even be hoping to influence the market by planting the idea that a book's value is way higher than the market seems to say it is.

It's not really that different from buying shares of a stock and then placing a sell order on them at a price well above current market, hoping that eventually the market will meet your price.  If you have the luxury of tying up your cash in a book for a long time, it's a potentially winning speculation strategy.  But it certainly is frustrating for those of us who are trying to buy and see a book we need tied up in this way.

Lou, I totally get what you are saying. There are 3 vol 2 books I need (I have them raw & they have a 9.4/9.6 look to them) that the seller wants $299 plus $13 shipping lol. I’ll just be patient to get mine signed and graded and hopefully a pressing will help.

On 4/11/2019 at 11:57 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Man I agree with all that. Very well stated. I scan through the new listings on ebuy of Silver and Bronze everyday. I see everything that goes up. And the majority of sellers seem to be hoping for a sucker to come by. Everyday I see a few I need but the asking price is just out of hand. It is frustrating. I sell a lot, usually true low starting bid auctions with plenty of photos, but when I do sell buy it now I ask fair marker value and I move the book rather than let it sit. Its just money, sell it for a fair price and move on.  Another thing is the ones who put "make offer". You make an offer and they counter with a 5 dollar discount. I think as fellow hobbyists we shouldn't try to screw each other over. 

Edited by Professor Chaos
deleted implied profanity

On 4/11/2019 at 9:38 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Agree with everything you've said, but if you're going to go up to 300 then definitely don't stop there, Walt SImonson is right around the corner!

As for #134, when I started upgrading my collection two years ago, for whatever reason I was able to find a great copy within a few months.  Maybe I just got lucky?  For me #145 is the last holdout.

900011108_Thor134CGC9.4.thumb.jpg.f4092dcde1319d2b85c4ab2004dd0bb1.jpg

Such a great copy! Very nice!  :golfclap:

I completely agree with you about the Simonson run. I have it.

It's just that 300-336 is kind of a black hole in my collection!

2 hours ago, MR SigS said:

I've been working on rebuilding my JIM/Thor collection since I sold off much of what I had:tonofbricks:

The good news is I'm in a better position now to replace them with better copies. The bad news; with moderate home repairs and a car purchase, I have to halt any more purchases for now.  If I don't stop, my wife may suggest I sell some comics.

These aren't all recent, but many are.

JCYH2rxl.jpg3N4I63ml.jpglrtYTo1l.jpgN5J86f4l.jpghlms6HCl.jpglEJXNSAl.jpgLAFsJiql.jpg25P7XZIl.jpgxxbidY9l.jpgmEQekxYl.jpgWEzgLm3l.jpggR01WRol.jpgTUwamHAl.jpgbAgoveel.jpgdjvuymcl.jpg7Zw3jjal.jpgPaYeB8Jl.jpgJ5vrVqWl.jpgpvTqMpLl.jpgpxcI5lFl.jpgj81OBngl.jpgNvFmLZcl.jpgSu4nyVll.jpgWfxjlH3l.jpgqEwkEqYl.jpg96DEv5ll.jpgjXr2vwNl.jpgXXTtJJel.jpgqwsf85Il.jpgGNjdNLol.jpgl467zuYl.jpggCZT7jol.jpgoRII23Vl.jpgVGnhtBWl.jpgRIAZPwDl.jpgyKpWJCZl.jpgBU2Fb5ml.jpgNtbwp99l.jpg6av17p8l.jpgcUSZa8Bl.jpgoRrXNiyl.jpg8RXjxUFl.jpg5AbN5a8l.jpgK6gGqICl.jpgRXdbylCl.jpgH5vjG9Hl.jpg4meYhMjl.jpgY0PhEyCl.jpgbFaj6qrl.jpgCgjG5qxl.jpg

Dang brother, those are some awesome looking covers you have right there.