• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thor appreciation thread
10 10

741 posts in this topic

JIM 102 and the conclusion of the Tomorrow Man saga. What evil and perverse power does he hold over the Mighty One?

This copy has a very high frequency of cover miswraps. Many like this copy have crooked covers. Many others have the front cover wrapped onto the back. Toughie to find in both high grade and high production quality.

JIM102.jpg

JIM 103. Fewer high grade copies than for surrounding issues, with only a single copy in 9.4 and 3 in 9.6. This is a great ish, featuring an awesomely colorful rendition of the Rainbow Bridge that separates Asgard from Midgard. It finally introduces Asgardians other than Loki as villains for Thor. Indeed, the feminine mystique of Enchantress coupled with the brute power and cruelty of Executioner makes for a formidable duo. I also love how Stan tries on the cover to mesmerize us young male readers with the villainess in much the manner that Thor becomes enchanted. Another great Tales of Asgard backup to boot - thanks, Kev, for posting the awesome OA for the splash page. Kirby's imaginative art is great throughout the TOA backup run.

Bought this one from Harley Yee a long time ago, a VF in need of an upgrade.

JIM103.jpg

JIM 104 sports a classic cover, not as well known as ish 89 but just as appreciated among afficionados. It is also a difficult ish to find in high grade. My copy was acquired nearly 15 years ago from Jef Hinds, and is the last of the unslabbed issues in the run.

JIM104.jpg

JIM 105 marks the teaming up of two baddies easily defeated by the Mighty One on their own. This was a plot strategy used often and in nearly all titles by Stan to increase the threat to our hero whilst saving the creative team from having to come up with a new villain. This ish features an Avengers guest cameo, a short story called Marauder, an 18 page Thor epic (the title no longer uses Atlas backup stories), and a Tales of Asgard extravagansa featuring Storm Giants, the Air Creature, and the keeper of the Rainbow Bridge. Awesome!

JIM105.jpg

Last for today is JIM 106. It concludes the saga of the Mr. Hyde and Cobra teamup, who used a nefarious machine to steal and conceal Thor's power-giving hammer. The Tales of Asgard backup story introduces Balder the Brave, who goes on to join the Mighty One in numerous adventures on many lands. In this storyline, he is tested mightily by Odin himself, and having passed the test wins the power of invincibility (much better than a gold star, no?). Also note Stan's challenge to young male readers on the front cover.

This cgc 9.4 copy has exceptional color preservation and the whitest whites front and back of any of my issues so far.

JIM106.jpg

I am glad to read of your desire for well-registered covers. I feel that a well-registered book is simply A BETTER BOOK than a mis-wrapped higher-graded CGC book that has one or two less stress lines on the spine.

Dennis

JIM 103. Fewer high grade copies than for surrounding issues, with only a single copy in 9.4 and 3 in 9.6. This is a great ish, featuring an awesomely colorful rendition of the Rainbow Bridge that separates Asgard from Midgard. It finally introduces Asgardians other than Loki as villains for Thor. Indeed, the feminine mystique of Enchantress coupled with the brute power and cruelty of Executioner makes for a formidable duo. I also love how Stan tries on the cover to mesmerize us young male readers with the villainess in much the manner that Thor becomes enchanted. Another great Tales of Asgard backup to boot - thanks, Kev, for posting the awesome OA for the splash page. Kirby's imaginative art is great throughout the TOA backup run.

Bought this one from Harley Yee a long time ago, a VF in need of an upgrade.

JIM103.jpg

I love this cover also. It is one of my favorites along with 157 where THOR is held in the talons of the Mangog. I own a mid-grade run of Thor from JIM 97 to Thor 200. The Kirby art and stories just do it for me. I used to also enjoy the Tales of Asgard stories with Balder the Brave. Please keep them coming. What scanner do you use and can you define registration? Have people also read the THOR article in the last Overstreet guide? Thanks

893applaud-thumb.gif

Thx, Silverweb. Your run from JIM 97 to Thor 200 certainly covers alot of great storylines and a gallery of villains. thumbsup2.gif

I'm using just a basic HP scanner - since it only does letter sized scans, when I show a complete slab it is a composite of separate scans of the book itself and the label.

By registration I refer to the cover wrap. Perfect registration has the break between the front and back covers exactly on the spine, and the cover runs true (square) also from top to bottom.

JIM 109. Magneto makes a surprise appearance, but is a natural foe for Thor with powers over Mighty Mjolnir. This issue cruised under the radar screen for years, but when the X-Men movies increased the interest in Magneto, this ish was broken out of the pack in Overstreet and has skyrocketed in value.

This was a raw purchase from Harley Yee. It is another toughie in ultra-high grade, likely owing to the dark purple cover, with only 3 copies in 9.4 or better in the current census.

JIM109.jpg

JIM 109. Magneto makes a surprise appearance, but is a natural foe for Thor with powers over Mighty Mjolnir. This issue cruised under the radar screen for years, but when the X-Men movies increased the interest in Magneto, this ish was broken out of the pack in Overstreet and has skyrocketed in value.

This was a raw purchase from Harley Yee. It is another toughie in ultra-high grade, likely owing to the dark purple cover, with only 3 copies in 9.4 or better in the current census.

JIM109.jpg

hail.gif

I finally got this JIM #103 a couple of weeks back for a good price.Pretty hard to find graded higher then an 8.0...
I believe it. My copy has 3 hole punch frown.gif

That is a really nice copy of JIM 103!

Here are the 3 for today. First up is JIM 110. This is the Massachusetts pedigree copy. The Thor stories are really beginning to hit their stride, and are now full-length features. Thor's relationship with Jane is becoming problematic. He is facing an every-growing number of threats, in this ish from 3 villains at once. He is increasingly torn over his allegiance to Asgard and his love for Midgard. How can the Mighty Thunder God prevail?

JIM110.jpg

JIM 112. Classic confrontation between the two strongest creatures in the Marvel Universe. Will the Hulk wrest the heretofore-unwrestable Uru hammer from the Mighty One? Will he then proceed to crush Dr. Blake? Will the effort cause the Hulk to transform himself? Will Dr. Blake and Dr. Banner compare their academic credentials and latest research findings? Will Dr. Banner become a patient of Dr. Blake's? Will Jane Foster do battle with Betty Ross for the title of the worst love-interest in the Marvel Universe? This ish has it all!

Mine is a really nice copy, but if you want to see an extraordinary one, check out the latest Heritage auction for the 9.6 copy currently at auction:

JIM112-1.jpg

Great books Bob. I look forward to seeing these each day. I hope you continue through all the Kirby issues also.

What happened to the story on where each book was bought from ? I was enjoying the background history almost as much as the books themselves. flowerred.gif

JIM109.jpg

I love this cover. Thanks for taking the time to post these scans. You have a great collection.