• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thor appreciation thread
10 10

748 posts in this topic

JIM 122, Pacific Coast copy. Purchased for $130 from PCE in 1999. The book was slabbed onsite at Wizard Philly, and it became the first 9.6 copy of this ish.

Odin takes center stage on the cover and in the story. This is the last ish published under Pop Art Productions.

JIM122.jpg

JIM 124, another from the Pacific Coast pedigree. Hercules enters the Marvel Universe, a being who potentially can match even Thor's awesome might. Greek and Norse mythology all rolled into one!

JIM124.jpg

The end of the run: JIM 125. Simple, classic cover. I still need to scan and post the JIM Annual. I hope everyone will post some of their favorite Thor material!

JIM125-1.jpg

And as a bonus book, here is the first ish of Thor in his own title. This is a surprisingly tough book to find in ultra-high grade. My copy is from the massive Las Vegas collection that singlehandedly bulged the CGC census on certain well-represented issues, such as ASM 14 and DD 1.

This is an unusual cover, because it sports the protagonists much larger and up-close than was the norm up to that point.

BRING OUT YOUR THORS!

Thor126-1.jpg

Namsgir, quick question here. With JIM #168 the orgin of Galactus, why is this issue so difficult to locate in grade?

Even the obvious great SA ped's like you've been showing seemed to miss this one. Any information as to how this one slipped through?

Nik and Arex are our resident experts regarding Thor 168, so I defer to them. It is, indeed, surprisingly difficult to find in high grade for a late Silver Age Marvel superhero book.

Arex and I have flipped that book between each other at least 5 times now, kind of a gentlemen's agreement we have had since I first purchased it. crazy.gif Not sure why there are so few high grade copies, reminds me of like issue #183 which only has 1 or 2 copies in CGC 9.8 but issue #182 has something like 20+ in that grade. Must have something to do with production of the books because with such a great cover you figure they would have been hoarded in batches back in the day. Did you get a look at the 9.6 copy of #118 on Heritage, its spectacular.

Too true Pete, too true.

I dont know why the 168 is such a hard book to find in HG. I know I look for them when I go to shows and such, but they just arent around.

there are only 3 copies in 9.4 or better (last time I checked) there is 1 9.6 somewhere, Nik has the Oakland 9.4 and then my copy at 9.4

It has always been one of my favorite Thor covers!

Here is my copy:

Thor168.jpg

And as a bonus book, here is the first ish of Thor in his own title. This is a surprisingly tough book to find in ultra-high grade. My copy is from the massive Las Vegas collection that singlehandedly bulged the CGC census on certain well-represented issues, such as ASM 14 and DD 1.

This is an unusual cover, because it sports the protagonists much larger and up-close than was the norm up to that point.

BRING OUT YOUR THORS!

Thor126-1.jpg

Again you are correct Bob. That book never seems to come up for sale in anything above 8.5 and then only seldom. If you take away the 3 9.2's on Pedigree, I cant remember the last time a 9.2 came to market. Although I do seem to remember Heritage selling either a 9.4 or 9.6 recently.

I bought this copy raw from a boardie and had it graded at the Baltimore show. I then sold it and have been lucky enough to re-aquire it from the boardie I sold it to. After about 2 weeks from selling it, I began to regret selling (for a number of reasons) and approached the gentleman about the chance of getting it back. he said that whenever i wanted it back, he would let me have it back. I will have it back when I go to WWChicago this summer cloud9.gif

It is a top census book in 9.6 (tied with 5 others) and is a stunner.

Thor1279-1.jpg

Another one of my favorite Thor covers is this one with the Wrecker. While not my favorite Wrecker cover (that goes to 148 which is my favorite Thor cover) this 171 is right up there. Kirby does an excellent job of showing the power of the Wrecker to be able to constrain Thor.

The look of anguish on Thor's face, the blue water and grey buildings give this cover a great look and feel.

Thor171.jpg

Talk about a double sized beaut! After taking a month off (along with the Avengers) Thor 193 (along with Avengers 93) open up Marvels attempt to double the page numbers but go bi-monthly (correct me if I am wrong peeps) they then give us this blue-wrapped beauty featuring none other than the possesor of the Power Cosmic, The Silver Surfer. Add to it being a Picture Frame Marvel, and it is clear why this is such a popular issue.

Thor193.jpg

The end of the run: JIM 125. Simple, classic cover. I still need to scan and post the JIM Annual. I hope everyone will post some of their favorite Thor material!

JIM125-1.jpg

I love entire Kirby Thor run.

I know this is not the OA forum, but when I picked up this splash to JIM 125, I was giddier than Greggy drooling over a 100-page DC romance comic.....

JIM125splash.jpg

I love entire Kirby Thor run.

I know this is not the OA forum, but when I picked up this splash to JIM 125, I was giddier than Greggy drooling over a 100-page DC romance comic.....

JIM125splash.jpg

Jeez P Rhino that is nice!

Here are the scans of the recent Thor books I picked up recently. Both are two of my favorites and I am looking to get a 9.4/6 148 eventually. The 142 is from the Tremont Collection that Vinny brought to the market about 1-1/2 ago.

Thor142Tremont.jpg

Thor157.jpg

Edited by arexcrooke

Arex, we must be twins separated at birth. The wrecker covers are also my all-time favorites, especially 171, 148, and 149. Just fantastic stuff cloud9.gif

In my opinion the Kirby run of Thor covers rivals and often surpasses the quality and spectacle of his run on the FF covers. I tend to like the Thor covers better, with a few exceptions of course. When you figure Jack drew FF for 100 issues and Thor for almost as long, it's just mind-boggling when you see all these beauties. I have wondered if the FF covers were scrutinized more by the editorial staff (because FF was a top-seller) and perhaps changes were suggested to those FF covers that didn't always showcase Jack's best abilities, whereas the Thor covers are more purely Jack, and therefore more dynamic?? Or perhaps its the difference between trying to showcase a team of heroes vs a single hero?

In any case, the more I look at this thread and see the vivid, dynamic scenes on these Thors, the more and more I'm blown away by them...

hail.gifthumbsup2.gifheadbang.gif

Another one of my favorite Thor covers is this one with the Wrecker. While not my favorite Wrecker cover (that goes to 148 which is my favorite Thor cover) this 171 is right up there. Kirby does an excellent job of showing the power of the Wrecker to be able to constrain Thor.

The look of anguish on Thor's face, the blue water and grey buildings give this cover a great look and feel.

Thor171.jpg

Absolutely. Very underrated books in my opinion. JIM and early Thor books have some of the best stories and fantastic art out there but are very under-appreciated.

Since we are kind of all over the map on issues and I just love my Thor's, here are a few copies I recently sold but sorely miss. John Buscema was the man:

T18398.jpg

This arc with the Silver Surfer is just so awesome, any non Thor fans should pick up #191-194.

T192cgc98.jpg