• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold, Silver, Bronze, Modern. Why do you collect????

41 posts in this topic

Relationship of Gold, Silver, Bronze, Modern.

Why do you collect Golden Age books over Bronze.

Or Modern age books over silver.

Or, Bronze over Modern. Etc

State your preferences and why you prefer to collect in that area. Is it because you like the stories, the profit, the quick turnover, the covers, a slow steady growth in the books you buy, or to flip them. If you collect more than one area, what is your second choice?

As for me, I read the books, but I particularly like Covers. It could be Gold, silver or bronze but if its in Space and its got a Monster attaching someone then I collect it. Superheroes are my second choice, DC gold and silver.

There is no right or wrong answer here. Just what you prefer.

As for me, I read the books, but I particularly like Covers. It could be Gold, silver or bronze but if its in Space and its got a Monster attaching someone then I collect it. Superheroes are my second choice, DC gold and silver.

I also like to collect COOL COVER comics. cool.gif

Rumor has it that there are pictures and words inside the comics, but I'm not quite sure. I might have to open one and find out.

I focussed on collecting orig. comic art around 1979-80 b/c I realized J Byrne X-men was way too common. Tougher to collect 1 of a kind J Byrne /Perez Uncanny X-men, M Team Up comic art. Buy what u like & can afford. 'Nuff said.

Going after Silver Age, mostly because it's the age I grew up in. Also, I am finding reading moderns are a lot more enjoyable when you are more familiar with the history of the comic. After reading Daredevil, Captain America and Justice League Silver Age, I am enjoying the modern versions a lot better. Expecially when they bring in an old villian you can now relate to... like the "Key", or the "Owl" or the "Red Skull". Being familiar with the history has a huge difference on understanding and relating to the characters as their written currently. grin.gif

I collect primarily Silver and Bronze age books as they hold the most nostalgia value for me.

I have been known to veer from this path though if a book comes along that I like and, as others have said, a cool cover gets me every time. grin.gif

Well, I'm collecting Bronze Age DC 'cause that's what I read new off the stands, so chalk me up for Bronze Age nostalgia. But since I got hooked on DCs in the 1972-1975 period, that was during the great period of 100-Page Super Spectaculars, so I also got exposed to plenty of reprinted Silver and Golden Age DC stuff, with an added dose of Fawcett and Quality material as well. cloud9.gif So I collect Silver Age for continuity's sake, since most of the Bronze Age stuff was either a continuation of or a reaction to DC's Silver Age. And I collect Golden Age for the historical perspective, plus to partially fill in the gaps of what I got as reprints back in the day.

I do collect some Marvel late Silver and early Bronze stuff, primarily:

- Late Kirby Fantastic Four. For me, I'll always see this period as primarily a prologue to the Kirby 4th World stuff at DC.

- Neal Adams X-Men and Avengers. Again, as a counterpoint to his DC stuff.

- Barry Smith Conan: The book DC was striving to beat quality-wise and award-wise with things like GL/GA, Swamp Thing, Manhunter; as well as attempting a dozen less-successful genre copies: Sword of Sorcery, Stalker, Claw, Beowulf, Warlord, etc.

- Oh! and Steranko's Nick Fury. Just Because.

For moderns, I'm a lot more Catholic in my tastes, and here I'm certainly a reader/collector. Miller Daredevil, in all its various incarnations. Anything by Alan Moore. Some Vertigo stuff. Baron & Rude's Nexus. (Virtually anything Steve Rude does I'll buy).

Nobody's given the most popular answer yet, so I'll be the one...

...I collect Silver Age Marvels because I like the characters and that's when the majority of them started.

Nobody's given the most popular answer yet, so I'll be the one...

...I collect Silver Age Marvels because I like the characters and that's when the majority of them started.

...I collect early Valiants because I like the characters and that's when the majority of them started. grin.gif

I was a kid from the 80s and early 90s, so I actually originally collected and assembled all the books I remembered reading then like 80s Caps (eventually a full run) and some Batman stuff and even the West Coast Avengers and Avengers (cause of Cap)...

Now that I have (or owned) all of those books, I now collect mostly Bronze age books with some areas of silver. High Grade Caps, Avengers, Thor/Journey Into Mystery and FFs are the only books from the silver age I collect.

From Bronze I like Starlin anything, runs of Avengers, Cap, FF, Iron Fist, Iron Man, Daredevil, Master of Kung Fu, Thor, Neal Adams anything and George Perez books.

well i am all over the map. I just love comics, and have ever since i could read.

I collect a few gold for covers,

pre code horror is one of my favorites for reading & covers

Silver i love the beginnings of the modern marvel empire, just cool books all around, these are the characters i loved in the late 70's & 80's when i was growing up

I like Silver DC for the insanity of the covers, and the sense of history

I like bronze for art (adams, wrightson, steranko, brunner, etc...) for great cover design, and because i can actually afford NM books from this era & I also grew up with many characters from then like ghost rider & new x-men. The DC mystery & jonah hex lines are some of my all time favorites.

I like pre 1988 modern for quality writing, things i read as they came out, and wacky independants like flaming carrot, yummy fur etc.

i like new modern for what grabs me like fables, y last man, new x-men, ultimate spidey etc..

its a combo of all the reasons i guess...... 893blahblah.gif

I collect late Silver and early Bronze DCs and Marvel simply because those were the books that I started out with as a kid. Read em and trashed em. Now I want to enjoy having them again. Still collect moderns(80s up) but with the cost of new books you just can't continue to buy runs of so-so titles.

Bidding on my first precode horror right now as I'm curious to try it out.

Bidding on my first precode horror right now as I'm curious to try it out.

I would delete that comment before pov reads it & smacks you upside the head........ gossip.gif

It is ok BOC. We ALL know that the precode horror market is following a shocking downward spiral that will result in all pre-code horror ultimately being worth less than cover price! Yeah! THAT'S the ticket!

It is ok BOC. We ALL know that the precode horror market is following a shocking downward spiral that will result in all pre-code horror ultimately being worth less than cover price! Yeah! THAT'S the ticket!

If anyone believes that I have some seaside property in Malibu I'm willing to trade for a complete set of New Universe comics...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I grew up on 80's and early 90's Marvels and Batman(the only DC I read). Like someone already mentioned, I'm into the characters and I like collecting the history of those characters(FF, Spidey, Cap, Avengers, Surfer). Also, I was attracted to Silver and Bronze from a young age, as they seemed so unattainable at the time. I was also given a couple of Marvel Masterworks as a kid(when they first came out), not to mention the fact that I bought lots of Marvel Tales, which are ASM reprints. So many S.A books are nostalgic to me, even though I was an 80's kid.