• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold, Silver, Bronze, Modern. Why do you collect????

41 posts in this topic

Good question, NoIm Sparticus! I collect Modern (new) comics, bronze age Marvel and DC (mostly Variants and Giant Size issues) and golden/atom age horror, although that it is mostly one title (THE THING!, almost have the full run now cloud9.gif).

My story is kind of weird. I grew up in the 80s, but I loved the 70's/early 80's comics that I could find, the mid to late 80's comics all seemed inferior to me. I got into comics via Star Wars and so collected that, which lead to Marvel super heroes (and the occasional DC or Charlton when there was no other choice at the 7-11). I fell in love with the comics that came out when I was around 6 (Claremont Bryne Xmen, Miller Daredevil, Roger Stern Amazing Spiderman, etc) and when those runs were all done, comics lost alot of their interest to me. It killed me because I had to save up as a little kid to read the comics I wanted to read (no essential xmen back then frown.gif) I remember seeing that Xmen 101 on the wall for like six months dreaming of saving up the 20 bucks to have the book and actually read the story! Of course, when I did finally get a copy, I realized there was no real origin there, but that is another story....

Now of course, I have all the bronze age books I loved as a kid, so I just go after the harder to get stuff, the variants and the giant size books, neat stuff! I always loved horror books too, and when I saw how gruesome some of the precode stuff was, well I had to pick some of those up! Collecting every issue of THE THING gives me an attainable goal (17 issues) with great Ditko art and gruesome covers. I'll probably move onto EC after I finish with THE THING!.....

and unlike many on this board, I still read Moderns, about 20-30 bucks worth every week usually.....

And getting to your main question, it is all about collectibility. I do not buy for profitability, have not sold a comic in fifteen years, although that may have to change shortly.... frown.gif

I collect late silver and bronze age stuff. My buying habits are based mostly on creators as opposed to particular titles or characters. Barry Smith is the main focus of my collecting habits at the moment with an occasional Neal Adams book popping up from time to time.

As far as moderns go, I am mostly a DC/Vertigo buyer. Y, Fables, The Flash, Batman. The only Marvel titles I pick up are UXM, USM and the Ultimates (thanx Darth!). I also plan on giving Ultimate Fantastic Four a spin.

I picked the bronze and silver stuff mainly because these were books I wanted as a kid but could not afford. I don't worry about investment potential or any of that. I do what most board members suggest: I buy what I like!

I am very diverse collector , from all eras. My love is Marvel silver ages but I have an extensive platinum age collection and a concentration of 50' and 60's movie/TV comics. Oddly enough, I have been putting a very nice collection of I Love Lucy comics. No, I am not gay. grin.gif

Tomega

I mainly at the moment collect Modern Age as i was born in the Modern Age of comics

I collect Spider-man who is my favourite Marvel character and TMNT the original series as i grew up watching them, hopefully soon i can get some TMNT original artwork.

Also when i start to earn a bit more money i will branch out to Silver Age

Spider-man

am very diverse collector , from all eras. My love is Marvel silver ages but I have an extensive platinum age collection and a concentration of 50' and 60's movie/TV comics. Oddly enough, I have been putting a very nice collection of I Love Lucy comics. No, I am not gay.

Are your sure?

Denial is not just a just a river in Eygpt.

I buy a few moderns off the shelf. Back issue-wise, I'm looking at silver and bronze Batmans (mostly upgrades), FFs, Daredevils, ECs, and Fiction House good girl art. I am contemplating a GS X-Men 1 sitting on the back wall at my local shop. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow.

am very diverse collector , from all eras. My love is Marvel silver ages but I have an extensive platinum age collection and a concentration of 50' and 60's movie/TV comics. Oddly enough, I have been putting a very nice collection of I Love Lucy comics. No, I am not gay.

Are your sure?

Denial is not just a just a river in Eygpt.

Yes I am sure. Well, I do like show tunes and Barbara Streisand music. I do like ot cook and I am always well manicured..Ahhhhhh- I'm going out right now to play football and work on my car.

Wow, alot of great responses!!! Tonight, 5 stars each for everyone! Man, we all are pretty diverse in our likings and collections. As for myself. Seems I got hooked on the Hercules thing when I was a kid from the old Steve Reeves movies and Arnold in Predator type of thing. This is why I always enjoy a hero saving the girl and beating up on a monster on a cover. The more teeth and tentacles on the monster, the better I usually like the cover. Like everyone else here, I also enjoy other avenues of collecting. Believe it or not, I only just started collecting superhero books over the past year. Just purchased a nice Batman 171 off ebay which would have been unheard of for me past a year ago. I have been collecting DC keys over the past year because of both covers and rarity. But I will not purchase a key if it does not have a cover to my liking or have eye appeal. So I know that I am a collector of what I like first and an investor so to speak second. Thanks for all great responses. Its a good way to get to know everyone and what they like.

Good collecting,

Jeff

My collecting is all over the place. My fav's are Silver Age Books: Steranko's, Kirby FF's are at the top. And, anything w/ Doctor Doom on the cover.

I collect Bronze horror books, and pre-code horror (when affordable). Also, try and find books that I had as a kid, or really wanted and couldn't afford (ie. Spidey #122). Or books w/ covers that are "just wrong" in todays PC world.

Modern stuff is more for reading, so I try and buy trades when I can (unless it's a series I really must have, like Sandman and Alan Moore Swamp Things). Love anything by Moore. Also, can't go wrong w/ Bendis books. Recently just started reading "Ultimates" (yep, I'm Johnny-come-lately), and can't believe how good it is! I think I like it better than USM! Vertigo books are great, and I usually check out anything they put out.

Also, have gotten into Orig. Art, and will continue to persue this more actively and slowly back out of back-issues. I usually look for Eduardo Risso 100 Bullets pages (have 3 right now), and can't wait to purchase some of his work on Batman!

(BTW - Did everyone notice, Risso won the Harvey Award for Best Artist for his work on Bullets! 893applaud-thumb.gif).

So, as you can see, I'm everywhere. cool.gif

Chris

Nope. I'm guessing that it has one of those Non-PC covers I look for. What's he saying, "I'ma break nasty on yo' jive talking self"? grin.gif

One of my fav's is a cover to a corny, Luke Cage rip-off, "Black Lighting". Don't even know the issue # I have, but the baddie says, "I'm gonna carve you up like a Thanksgiving turkey, sucka!"

Chris

I'm collecting largely Bronze and Silver and trying to reconstitute the collection that I had as a kid and sold off for a pittance.

I've identified the titles and issues that I really want to have a copy of and then have been filling in with trade paperback Masterworks/Archives reprints for those issues I'd like to have and read but don't require to be in the original format (or couldn't afford in the original format). I've also picked up a few titles from those eras that will likely never be reprinted and that I missed the first time around.

I've been thinking about Gold (and collect a diminishing number of Modern titles).

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

You see I have a dart board here with certain sections that is divded into comic ages, one-third bronze-age and another sliver-age and modern age and if I hit the Bullseye well it doesn't mean I'm getting the villian Bullseye but I will choose what hot current issue of the day with in monetary reason. ivn.gif So far I've been hitting alot of silverage Marvel and DC and some bronze-age too but not too many bullseye..... 893frustrated.gif Maybe I purposely not hitting dead center. insane.gif