• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you a completist????

Are you a completist????  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a completist????

144 posts in this topic

I prefer to collect keys...putting together a whole run of hundreds of comics takes alot of the budget away from titles I'd rather have 1 or 2 key books from something else...

That being said my amazing spiderman 1-200 run is 32 books away from completion.

The hobby makes it nearly impossible with a multitude of variants, exclusives, misprints, print specialties and recalls, yet we can limit our focus and chose titles, runs or series and complete those. Then claim we are completists.

I have recently completed both my Pre-Unity / Unity Valiant and my Rising Stars sets.

As Lou Costello used to say "I'm a BAD...Boy". Since I posted earlier I had the good fortune to buy a complete run of DC's Ghosts and now I am hooked on their horror line! My God does this ever stop? I just love art work I don't care about condition as long as they are complete I'm a moth to flame...Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bright!

It's too late for me, I've been collecting horror and sci fi movie related magazines 5500 and books 600 plus no end to the toys or other collectables. 40 years on and I'm still (HAPPY) I just love visual art and there's NO cure. Good luck Ickwinzs with your own journey, have fun.

Series I started years ago, where I'm only missing max 20 issues, I will complete that series. ie. Any Wolverine series (so many), my Silver Surfer, Animal Man, Doom Patrol vol.2, etc.

If I have even 1 of a limited series, I MUST complete it.

As to busts/statues, LOTR ... I have so many. Though none of the Hobbit ones. The little mini helmets from LOTR and WETA, got em all. The medallions, all of em. Mini busts ... all of em. 

Only thing that has curtailed this spending is my newly adopted special needs girl. Would sell it all for her.

On February 11, 2017 at 4:50 PM, Itosukai said:

Series I started years ago, where I'm only missing max 20 issues, I will complete that series. ie. Any Wolverine series (so many), my Silver Surfer, Animal Man, Doom Patrol vol.2, etc.

If I have even 1 of a limited series, I MUST complete it.

As to busts/statues, LOTR ... I have so many. Though none of the Hobbit ones. The little mini helmets from LOTR and WETA, got em all. The medallions, all of em. Mini busts ... all of em. 

Only thing that has curtailed this spending is my newly adopted special needs girl. Would sell it all for her.

Congrats on the adoption of your daughter!

I'm completed out, myself. I have complete runs of The Defenders, Avengers, and Iron Man (original runs only; 1-402 and 1-332). And a full set of Godzilla autographed by Herb Trimpe.

i've parted with many smaller sets after completing and reading them: Champions, SuperVillain Team-up, Secret Society of Super Villains, Morrison's JLA, West Coast Avengers, Elementals, Justice Machine, etc. I have a couple completed but yet to read Marvel's Doc Savage, and Jonah Hex from All-Star Western 10 thru Hex 18. It was near-complete when I acquired it, so I finished it.

There's also a full set of Silver Surfer 1-18 but that's getting sold in a week or two. Buyer saving up.

Avengers, Defenders, Iron Man maybe Godzilla are around for a while. Other than that, I'm chasing my grails, some unicorns (obscure books) and a few readers I've always wanted.

I've never really been a completist/completionist. I've tried at times but something always stopped me. Sometimes it would be a key issue that was out of my price range. Other times, it would be the idea of buying issues of a run that I didn't really care about and was only buying them to complete. 

I've done smaller runs or runs within a series that contained work by an artist that I liked but that's about it.

Edited by Jerkfro

On 17/03/2017 at 1:12 PM, Likefro said:

I've never really been a completist/completionist. I've tried at times but something always stopped me. Sometimes it would be a key issue that was out of my price range. Other times, it would be the idea of buying issues of a run that I didn't really care about and was only buying them to complete. 

I've done smaller runs or runs within a series that contained work by an artist that I liked but that's about it.

You've hit on two of the reasons I stopped being a completist here @Likefro - stuff that's too expensive and stuff I didn't care about.

For some reason that I can't quite recall, I decided many moons back to go for every American Spider-Man comic and appearance. And I mean every one. Maybe @1950's war comics is right on the OCD claim earlier, but I really went for it. Look at my old records - these are just the title indexes:

1.thumb.PNG.50c8f7f3fad6269b6ac30d865011cd99.PNG

2.thumb.PNG.e4b5fc790a4640b5eb4dcfa5b68f933c.PNG

3.thumb.PNG.4258d321010e0787310e8803e64c4c7d.PNG

4.thumb.PNG.c3ced3262beb697b2a9b92142437719f.PNG

At its peak, I think I had over 8,000 comics with Spidey in. Every main title. Every mini-series. Every one-shot. Every promo. Every variant. Every printing. Every appearance. And I mean every appearance - one panel was enough to warrant getting the book. Strange Tales 97 because the Parkers looked like they were in there. Spidey on DD #1 cover? Got it. I spent £500 on a comic just because he was on the cover.

Looking back, it was madness. But my God did I enjoy it. Up until the point that is when I almost got everything. The moment I'd 'done it', the full magnitude hit me. 8K comics, of which about 6K were, for want of a better word, tat.

And then the variant madness went up a notch. I purchased all the 666's, all the V3 #1s. And then one day I stopped. Dead. I went cold turkey. And then I sold everything except for 50 or so books.

I'm keeping this brief and could write a thesis on it. Maybe one day I will. So beware, completists. It's a dark road to go down unless you are fabulously rich, have all the time in the world and plenty of space.

Alas, I no longer have those last three...

That 8000 is an interesting number. One of the ideas I trot out when people discuss back issue sections in comic book stores is that one of the difficulties is the huge increase in comics published and each little era has its own fans.  When a comic book store opened in the early 80s, one long box would hold all of ASM and another long box would hold all the Spectaculars and MTUs. That's it. But now they are supposed to try to carry 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000, or 8000 Spider-Man comics?  At $2 to $3 to $4 a square foot rent month after month?

On 25/03/2017 at 1:17 AM, HouseofComics.Com said:

That 8000 is an interesting number. One of the ideas I trot out when people discuss back issue sections in comic book stores is that one of the difficulties is the huge increase in comics published and each little era has its own fans.  When a comic book store opened in the early 80s, one long box would hold all of ASM and another long box would hold all the Spectaculars and MTUs. That's it. But now they are supposed to try to carry 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000, or 8000 Spider-Man comics?  At $2 to $3 to $4 a square foot rent month after month?

Have to say, of that 8,000 many were 'duplicates', e.g. pence copy, MJI copy, etc. But in respect of your point above, many were the kind of comics you would only buy if you were a completist. Only a completist would buy 'Marvel Adventures Spider-Man' for example. No regular comic store would go out of their way to stock that title. As a completist, that's where Mile High came in handy as they have the resources to keep the drek in stock.

Extreme completism I wouldn't recommend. If it could go back, the money I spent on every issue of 'Power Pack' with Spidey in for example I would put towards a key, or just any other non-Spidey book title that I liked the look of.  

If you look at the 40 or so variant covers to the ASM v3 #1 relaunch, while it was cool to have the set, most of the covers were poor / done for the sake of it. You stand back and look at them all laid out, they look great as a group, then it hits you you've spent £1,000 on 40 terrible covers. 

On 2/28/2016 at 7:21 AM, tv horror said:

As Lou Costello used to say "I'm a BAD...Boy". Since I posted earlier I had the good fortune to buy a complete run of DC's Ghosts and now I am hooked on their horror line! My God does this ever stop? I just love art work I don't care about condition as long as they are complete I'm a moth to flame...Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bright!

If you like DC's Ghosts, you will love Warren Creepy mags.

I have complete sets of a few 1970's runs, such as Nova, Spider-Woman, Micronauts, Champions, and the original New Teen Titans run. I toyed with the idea of getting a complete set of Mystery in Space, just because I love those covers. (and am a fan of Adam Strange). But, its' very cost prohibitive.