• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comicpriceguide.com adjusts Batman #227 to $400 guide value !!!

44 posts in this topic

Batman #227 is now one of the most valuable comics in the siilver/bronze run according to their website. The NM price has been adjusted to $400 with a special notice that a CGC 9.4 copy sold for $1100 in May 2007.

Does it really make sense to adjust pricing like this based on one crazy CGC sale? It #227 really worth more than double the guide amount for issues like 181 (Poision Ivy), 189 (Scarecrow), 232 (Ra's), and 234 (Two-Face)?

I say NO, it is NOT more valuable than those issues, in general. A copy of #227 sold in VG last month on ebay for only $6. So how can they justify a $400 NM price, based on an issue where Adams only drew the cover? What about where he drew the cover and also the interior art and there was a first appearance of a major character (like #232).

What we really need is a realistic guide that acknowledges that CGC prices on silver/bronze material are many many many multiples of guide. That would solve the problem. Because right now we have a situation where a CGC 9.4 copy of #227 sells for 183 times the price of a VG copy ($1100 for CGC 9.4, and $6 for a VG copy), on the same auction forum (ebay), in the same month (May 2007). This huge spread needs to be accurately reflected in a price guide, but it is not.

And what does this say about the pent-up demand for all the other issues out there with an Adams cover? He did hundreds of covers over the years for dozens of titles where he did not do the interior art. But the whole CGC phenomenon has made the covers more important than ever, and the interior art less important (since it can't be seen through a slab anymore).

Demand for and lack of (or perceived lack of) high grade copies of Bats 227 is what's causing these wacky prices.

I agree that a 232 should sell for more but it's not up to me. wink.gif

Big JONAH HEX sale including some Weird Westerns and All Star Western 10

Although in general I'd never pay a sky high price for anything, my numero uno reason for buying a book, or at least what creates the most interest for me, is by far the cover. So for that reason, I say the prices being paid for #227 are justified and reasonable. I'd rather have several copies of 227 over one each of the other issues mentioned here.

Demand for and lack of (or perceived lack of) high grade copies of Bats 227 is what's causing these wacky prices.

I agree that a 232 should sell for more but it's not up to me. wink.gif

Maybe it should be up to you... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The average ACTUAL sales for this book in CGC 9.4 over the last 2 years has been over $700.

That's crazy. screwy.gif

The price is based ONLY on the cover. I can think of no other comic where the cover mattered this much to the price. Prices are usually based on first appearances, stort elements, interior art, etc.

I think this will be a growing CGC trend. The cover art will become more and more important in CGC pricing, since that is the only part of a CGC comic that can actually be seen.

The average ACTUAL sales for this book in CGC 9.4 over the last 2 years has been over $700.

That's crazy. screwy.gif

The price is based ONLY on the cover. I can think of no other comic where the cover mattered this much to the price. Prices are usually based on first appearances, stort elements, interior art, etc.

I think this will be a growing CGC trend. The cover art will become more and more important in CGC pricing, since that is the only part of a CGC comic that can actually be seen.

Think harder.

Demand (with supply) dictates price. It is irrelevant whether the demand is created by the story, the writer, the cover, the artist, a first appearance, or anything else. This is nothing new.

That's crazy. screwy.gif

Really? crazy.gif

Defense calls Suspense Comics #3 to the stands. Your witness.

poke2.gif

That's crazy. screwy.gif

Really? crazy.gif

Defense calls Suspense Comics #3 to the stands. Your witness.

poke2.gif

Weird Science-Fantasy #29 and Famous Funnies 209-216, also.

Not to mention a whole slew of Schomburg airbrushed covers...

That's crazy. screwy.gif

Think harder.

Demand (with supply) dictates price. It is irrelevant whether the demand is created by the story, the writer, the cover, the artist, a first appearance, or anything else. This is nothing new.

I think with Batman 227, the price is dictated by both, the cool cover, and the low supply of high grade copies. Detective 31 also commands a high price, and I would assume it's for it's cool cover. For those of us who can't afford $5000 for a beater copy of Tec 31, we'll settle for a 9.4 copy of Batman 227 for $400.

It's been undervalued in Overstreet for years. I don't think the new price on comicpriceguide.com is based on one sale. If you look at GPA, the last 5 copies of 9.0, going back to March 2005, have sold for $102 or more (the last one fetched $203). In CGC 9.2, they get more scarce. One sold in Oct 2003 for $157. None were sold (on eBay/Heritage/comiclink) until June 2004, and whoever bought it was so happy one was offered on the market again, that they were willing to spend $235. That turned out to be a steal, because another didn't sell till August 2005, and went for $481! None have been sold since.

In 9.4, 6 copies have been sold since Nov 2004, all over $430. Since the 9.2 sold two years ago for $481, people are realizing that a 9.4 is probably worth more than that, so one sold this month for $1135. That's only because there is more demand than supply. Obviously there was more than one person interested in it, and were willing to raise the bid because they wanted it so bad. Before this sale, there had only been one on the market since June 2005. So if you want one, you'd better be ready to shell out some cash, to outbid the other collectors who want one.

I definitely don't think $400 is overpriced for a CGC 9.4. If I could find a CGC 9.4 for $400, I'd buy it in a second.

That's crazy. screwy.gif

Dekeuk;

Not sure how long you have been around in terms of collectible comics.

Although I will certainly agree with you on the impact of first appearances, origin issues, etc., the impact of prices paid for classic covers have been around for much longer than CGC. I can think of countless GA books where the cover has had a significant impact on the price.

You should also note that this cover is really a homage to the cover from 'Tec 31 which is considered to be the classic Batman cover of all time. Most collectors simply cannot afford to even think about ever acquiring this issue as it tops out at $62,000 in guide and probably hopes for the Batman 227 as the next best thing from a price reasonability point of view.

Classic covers have been increasing in popularity ever since the Gerber Photjournals came out in the early 90's. Rising prices are also part of the reason here as collectors simply cannot afford to be a completionist anymore. As a result, collectors have been focusing in on these classic covers as opposed to the run-of-the-mill covers.

well since all you get with a slabbed book is a cover and an advert you really are just making a small poster with a label.

and since that is a kick azz cover, I can see the premium for a slabbed version...esp since it appears to be a rare-ish book compared to some of its contemporaries.

i'd love a copy of this with a great cover. insides could be less than stellar as long as it was whole and had a great cover.

That's crazy. screwy.gif

That's a pretty astute observation, IMO. A large part of the desirability to collectors here is simply the allure of the cover (myself included --more so, after joining the boards). And being that it rests inside a tomb, that's about all most will see.

Glad I got my VF copy of 227 free before the craze started. :whee:

That's crazy. screwy.gif

That's a pretty astute observation, IMO. A large part of the desirability to collectors here is simply the allure of the cover (myself included after joining boards). And being that it rests inside a tomb, that's about all most will see.

Having fun with the search function...? ;)