• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comicpriceguide.com adjusts Batman #227 to $400 guide value !!!

44 posts in this topic

The average ACTUAL sales for this book in CGC 9.4 over the last 2 years has been over $700.

That's crazy. screwy.gif

The price is based ONLY on the cover. I can think of no other comic where the cover mattered this much to the price. Prices are usually based on first appearances, stort elements, interior art, etc.

I think this will be a growing CGC trend. The cover art will become more and more important in CGC pricing, since that is the only part of a CGC comic that can actually be seen.

That's a pretty astute observation, IMO. A large part of the desirability to collectors here is simply the allure of the cover (myself included --more so, after joining the boards). And being that it rests inside a tomb, that's about all most will see.

Glad I got my VF copy of 227 free before the craze started. :whee:

Even before buying CGC books I was a cover art collector.....glad a lot of the collecting community has finally caught up to my forward thinking....who needs stories anyway lol

The average ACTUAL sales for this book in CGC 9.4 over the last 2 years has been over $700.

That's crazy. screwy.gif

The price is based ONLY on the cover. I can think of no other comic where the cover mattered this much to the price. Prices are usually based on first appearances, stort elements, interior art, etc.

I think this will be a growing CGC trend. The cover art will become more and more important in CGC pricing, since that is the only part of a CGC comic that can actually be seen.

That's a pretty astute observation, IMO. A large part of the desirability to collectors here is simply the allure of the cover (myself included after joining boards). And being that it rests inside a tomb, that's about all most will see.

Having fun with the search function...? ;)

Doh. doh!

I was wondering what the heck you meant by that. And about 10 posts later, I literally realized I somehow unintentionally clicked on a very old thread. How? I don't know-- maybe hit the 10 tab or something. AFIK, it was the newest page.

Apologies all--, and even more ironic, it's about the 1st thread post I even had a reply back to, let alone resurrection... Perhaps doing more birdbrained things will accelerate my transcendence up the forum totem pole of visibility?

edit: ah... I realized how I chanced upon that boner. I happened to be doing a search on bats 227 and the first thing that popped up was this thread... somehow I opened it for who knows why, and it happened to be sitting on one of my tabs, which I assumed was a current page... :tonofbricks:

2qb69hc.png

No quotes out of context-- please.

That's crazy. screwy.gif

That's a pretty astute observation, IMO. A large part of the desirability to collectors here is simply the allure of the cover (myself included after joining boards). And being that it rests inside a tomb, that's about all most will see.

Doh. doh!

I was wondering what the heck you meant by that. And about 10 posts later, I literally realized I somehow unintentionally clicked on a very old thread. How? I don't know-- maybe hit the 10 tab or something. AFIK, it was the newest page.

Apologies all--, and even more ironic, it's about the 1st post I even had a reply back to, let alone resurrection... Perhaps doing more birdbrained things will accelerate my transcendence up the forum totem pole of visibility?

edit: ah... I realized how I chanced upon that boner. I happened to be doing a search on bats 227 and the first thing that popped up was this thread... somehow I opened it for who knows why, and it happened to be sitting on one of my tabs, which I assumed was a current page... :tonofbricks:

2qb69hc.png

lol I didn't realize this was a 4 year old post either. Out of curiousity, what is the comicpriceguide.com price on a NM copy today?

That's crazy. screwy.gif

Doh. doh!

Apologies all--, and even more ironic, it's about the 1st post I even had a reply back to, let alone resurrection... Perhaps doing more birdbrained things will accelerate my transcendence up the forum totem pole of visibility?

2qb69hc.png

lol I didn't realize this was a 4 year old post either. Out of curiousity, what is the comicpriceguide.com price on a NM copy today?

No idea and don't have it. My curiosity is piqued as well.

That's crazy. screwy.gif

Doh. doh!

2qb69hc.png

No idea and don't have it. My curiosity is piqued as well.

Now $500 on CPG in 9.4

12 month GPA in 9.4 is $973, last sale $1,100 (June) :o

That's crazy. screwy.gif

Doh. doh!

Apologies all--, and even more ironic, it's about the 1st thread post I even had a reply back to, let alone resurrection... Perhaps doing more birdbrained things will accelerate my transcendence up the forum totem pole of visibility?

No quotes out of context-- please.

No worries. Accusations of d-baggery aside, I was just giving you a friendly ribbing, resurrecting such an old thread. Purely jovial, mate. :)

Now $500 on CPG in 9.4

12 month GPA in 9.4 is $973, last sale $1,100 (June) :o

I think CPG is more accurate than Overstreet when it comes to this specific book, but I think it's way off with other Batman books (i.e. Detective 395) which it lists at $80 in 9.4. Wow, I wish I can find a copy for that price.

Batman #227 is now one of the most valuable comics in the siilver/bronze run according to their website. The NM price has been adjusted to $400 with a special notice that a CGC 9.4 copy sold for $1100 in May 2007.

Does it really make sense to adjust pricing like this based on one crazy CGC sale? It #227 really worth more than double the guide amount for issues like 181 (Poision Ivy), 189 (Scarecrow), 232 (Ra's), and 234 (Two-Face)?

I say NO, it is NOT more valuable than those issues, in general. A copy of #227 sold in VG last month on ebay for only $6. So how can they justify a $400 NM price, based on an issue where Adams only drew the cover? What about where he drew the cover and also the interior art and there was a first appearance of a major character (like #232).

This copy, described as Good+, sold for $27:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BATMAN-227-DEMON-GOTHOS-MANSION-VERY-GOOD-COND-/400228612855?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2f7bfaf7

There's a more beat up copy that sold for $11

Don't see the $6 sale, I'm not doubting it. Was it described as VG, but looked more like "Fair" and had $12 shipping?

With that said, not so relevant to the NM price anyway. Tough book in NM, like Wrightson's first DC work, not worth a lot in VG, worth a lot in 9.4.

Batman #227 is now one of the most valuable comics in the siilver/bronze run according to their website. The NM price has been adjusted to $400 with a special notice that a CGC 9.4 copy sold for $1100 in May 2007.

Does it really make sense to adjust pricing like this based on one crazy CGC sale? It #227 really worth more than double the guide amount for issues like 181 (Poision Ivy), 189 (Scarecrow), 232 (Ra's), and 234 (Two-Face)?

I say NO, it is NOT more valuable than those issues, in general. A copy of #227 sold in VG last month on ebay for only $6. So how can they justify a $400 NM price, based on an issue where Adams only drew the cover? What about where he drew the cover and also the interior art and there was a first appearance of a major character (like #232).

http://cgi.ebay.com/BATMAN-227-DEMON-GOTHOS-MANSION-VERY-GOOD-COND-/400228612855?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2f7bfaf7

Don't see the $6 sale, I'm not doubting it. Was it described as VG, but looked more like "Fair" and had $12 shipping?

With that said, not so relevant to the NM price anyway. Tough book in NM, like Wrightson's first DC work, not worth a lot in VG, worth a lot in 9.4.

You're responding to a post from 2007. :makepoint:

22143d1250251085-sub-contractor-lower-insurance-than-me-zombie_1-9316_640x480.jpg

Oh bl*w me, I'm listening to a CLE while futzing around on the boards. I'm very focused on this class on jury selection, can't be bothered to read dates on threads.