• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Underground Comix

199 posts in this topic

I am Interested in purchasing OA from underground comix such as Zap, Freak Brothers, etc. and artists such as Crumb. Shelton, Corben, Lynch, etc. Anybody have anything for sale like that? Thanks.

It's nice to see that there are others that enjoy the Undergrounds. I have always felt that they aren't appreciated as much as they should. I am not really interested in selling any UG OA, except for maybe the Lynch. I might consider offers for anything in my CAF Gallery? http://qurls.com?i=854 Being frank, I probably would be hard pressed to sell. I might be more open to trades, especially if offered any OA from ZAP #4. Also any of these personal grails from my wanted Gallery on Comic Art Fans. http://qurls.com?i=2462

or Totleben Miracleman, Bissette & Totleben or Wrightson Swamp Thing, Key Watchmen (Rorshach) or Steranko.

Best,

Showponysydnee

I am Interested in purchasing OA from underground comix such as Zap, Freak Brothers, etc. and artists such as Crumb. Shelton, Corben, Lynch, etc. Anybody have anything for sale like that? Thanks.

The Cover Art to ZAP # 1 was recently on EBAY.

Follow the thread if you are interested in persuing.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...part=1&vc=1

I do remember the auction for the ZAP #1 Cover very well. The eBay seller never had the Cover in his possession. That is why there were never any depictions of the Cover in the eBay listing. Also the owner never gave real permission to sell the Cover. The seller acted on his own to find a buyer even though it never really was for sale.

I do happen to know the owner of the Cover to ZAP #1. He is also a famous UG Artist is his own right. I would rather not disclose the identity if this individual, other than to say that it is not presently owned by Crumb or any of his family members. For provenance, it has also been in this person's possession since it was given to him by Crumb in the late 60's. It has never been on the open market. It is also not for sale. I have spoken to him about this subject and he and I believe that it is of greater historical importance than the album cover to Big Brother and The Holding Compny's "Cheap Thrills" Original Art.

This artwork hapeens to be on display at:

The Experience Music Project. This is the Rock and Roll museum in Seattle which was started by Paul Allen (yes Microsoft) and he is also the individual that purchased it in a private sale which has never been publicly disseminated. Guesses are that it traded at between $250,000 and maybe as high as a $1,000,000.

Presently, I do believe the Cover is on exhibition at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts

701 Mission Street, San Francisco, 94103-3138 | tel 415.978.2700 | tix 415.978.2787 | fax 415.978.9635.

This Cover is of unparrelled historical significance and ranks with Action #1, Detective #27, Amazing Fantasy #15 and Marvel Mysteries #1.

Showponysydnee

Here is a link for further information:

http://www.ybca.org/tickets/production.aspx?performanceNumber=2764

It is located next to the SF MOMA.

Showponysydnee

I do remember the auction for the ZAP #1 Cover very well. The eBay seller never had the Cover in his possession. That is why there were never any depictions of the Cover in the eBay listing. Also the owner never gave real permission to sell the Cover. The seller acted on his own to find a buyer even though it never really was for sale.

I do happen to know the owner of the Cover to ZAP #1. He is also a famous UG Artist is his own right. I would rather not disclose the identity if this individual, other than to say that it is not presently owned by Crumb or any of his family members. For provenance, it has also been in this person's possession since it was given to him by Crumb in the late 60's. It has never been on the open market. It is also not for sale. I have spoken to him about this subject and he and I believe that it is of greater historical importance than the album cover to Big Brother and The Holding Compny's "Cheap Thrills" Original Art.

This artwork hapeens to be on display at:

The Experience Music Project. This is the Rock and Roll museum in Seattle which was started by Paul Allen (yes Microsoft) and he is also the individual that purchased it in a private sale which has never been publicly disseminated. Guesses are that it traded at between $250,000 and maybe as high as a $1,000,000.

Presently, I do believe the Cover is on exhibition at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts

701 Mission Street, San Francisco, 94103-3138 | tel 415.978.2700 | tix 415.978.2787 | fax 415.978.9635.

This Cover is of unparrelled historical significance and ranks with Action #1, Detective #27, Amazing Fantasy #15 and Marvel Mysteries #1.

Showponysydnee

Here is a link for further information:

http://www.ybca.org/tickets/production.aspx?performanceNumber=2764

It is located next to the SF MOMA.

Showponysydnee

We agree. It is a very important piece & OA generally speaking is not fully appreciated by the art community. I have been saying for a very long time that this stuff is way undervalued & needs to be reviewed as ON PAR with Picasso, Warhol, Lichenstein etc....

I always thought the Cheap Thrills album cover was one of Crumb's best works. I bought the 1997 S & N repro &, had it professionally framed. Expensive, but very high quality print.

If I had a choice between the Zap # 1 Cover or the Cheap Thrills Cover - Id probably choose the Zap #1. But no doubt,...the Cheap Thrills Cover is dynamic.

I would also take the Zap #1 cover over almost anything else Crumb did, though the back cover of Zap #0 has always been my favorite single page (since my mom did throw my comics out when I was 9 or 10 years old).

Someone plz sell me a published Rand Holmes comix page, so I can be put out of my mysery.

Here is a sample of his oil painting UG work. Giclee is part of a lettered edition which means ltd to 26 max.

P4020123.jpg

Last year I was fortunate to finally obtain some pages of Snappy Sammy Smoot by Skip Williamson. This year I bought the inside back cover of the first print of Bijou #1, mostly a paste-up, but hand lettered by Jay Lynch..

When I was collecting comics back in the 60's few people really took notice of original art. In 1971 I took a table at a NY convention to raise a few bucks and remember one dealer with a table piled high with original art from Tower comics. It was all priced at $5 per page(lots of Wally Wood). If I only had a time machine...every collector's dream.

eggs,

I contacted Low Brow art about 6 months ago via eBay and they said they had never heard of or seen any published Rand Holmes OA for sale. There were some small cartooney non-UG b/w illos that were eBayed a couple of years ago for around $40 each (?) flowerred.gif

I have never been to Vancouver though my wife was there a couple of years ago for a weaver's convention. She loved the city. I will visit one day, If you are ever in Florida, you are welcome to view my modest collection here in sunny Sarasota, home to CGC. I do have some really nice slabbed rare undergrounds,

Most of us "underground" collectors also look for OA by certain artists that was not necessarily published in comic books. For instance Robert Crumb worked for American Greeting Card company in the 60's in his pre-Zap days. The art from these greeting cards has come on the market now & then. Example:doing a search on the Heritage Comics website in their archives will reveal several interesting pieces that they have sold within the past several years. Several Skip Williamson pieces recently sold on ebay from work he did in Playboy doing the early 80's. Anybody have any oddball stuff like that for sale or trade?