• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Underground Comix

199 posts in this topic

Some of the UG artists also did some more mainstream work. e.g. teaching cartoon art or storyboarding classes in post-secondary school. If u are lucky enough to get some of these layouts, anatomy, perspective, light source/shadows artwork, they are usually on HUGE 2 x 3 feet sheets of paper. thumbsup2.gif

Guys, look, I love Crumb's work. Love his CHEAP THRILLS cover more than the ZAP piece (because of the artwork itself, not its historical significance) but there's absolutely no doubt that the Zap cover is a marvel.

But.

Only a Crumb fanatic would suggest that the original cover artwork to ZAP #1 is on a par with the OA cover art to Amazing Fantasy #15, Action #1, Detective #27...because it isn't. While underground comics have had an impact on our society, it pales when contrasted to the boys in the superhero long-johns.

(Doubt me? My nephews have never heard of Robert Crumb, Fritz the Cat, Zap comics or...sadly...Cheap Thrills. But they all knew Superman, Spider-Man, Batman.)

Furthermore, Crumb kept/gave away/sold his artwork -- and it's still out there. Much of the first historically significant superhero comic artwork was destroyed. So, while I acknowledge that Crumb is a master and that the Zap #1 cover will ever be highly desirable (although drawn after Zap #0, it was published first), the original artwork of the boys in tights is more desperately sought and wanted.

I agree that there is no question that superhero OA is more popular and valuable in general than "underground" OA. However, it is all a matter of what you as a collector prefer to collect. Robert Crumb is an artist who appeals to a wider audience than just underground comix collectors. It also appears that many of his OA pieces are selling for more than most other silver age artists (Just check the Heritage auction archives). While I would love to own the Zap #1 cover, the asking price of that ebay auction appeared kind of crazy to me. Maybe in 10 years it won't be. Thank you for your comments.

I am Interested in purchasing OA from underground comix such as Zap, Freak Brothers, etc. and artists such as Crumb. Shelton, Corben, Lynch, etc. Anybody have anything for sale like that? Thanks.

Bump. Giving it another try. Thanks.

I am Interested in purchasing OA from underground comix such as Zap, Freak Brothers, etc. and artists such as Crumb. Shelton, Corben, Lynch, etc. Anybody have anything for sale like that? Thanks.

Bump. Giving it another try. Thanks.

Not original art, but some of the prints on the RCrumb.com site are pretty cool! thumbsup2.gif

Have a favor to ask all of you. If you find any underground art for auction/sale on Ebay, Heritage, Cochran, Just Kids, etc, can you post a link here? If I see something for sale I will do the same (If I don't have a senior moment and forget). Thanks!

Yes and No.

I really wanted this piece, but just didn't have the money.

kiss.jpg

I believe Jay's work will be very collectible in the future. He's had a hippy attitude towards the "establishment" for a long time. His story is interesting on his non-comix, serious contemporary art. He asked one price for it, $40,000 a piece, because I believe he thought it wouldn't sell, not believing that art should be just the market for the super rich. But since he's not that well know he didn't sell many (any?) of them, so they are quite rare.

I bid low on all his stuff and then watched if any of it stayed low so I could snipe it, but didn't get any except this piece which I won for a buck because NOBODY ELSE BID, it's not Jay Lynch, but it's from his collection:

kringo.jpg

I ended up being very happy with and would have paid more. I just asked nicely for a letter...

JL.jpg

893whatthe.gifhail.gif

Now it's not only an original Kringo piece, it's a Jay Lynch collectible.

Maybe I should post why I chose this screen name too, while I'm at it. I see you write "50 cent" and I cringe. I hate rap, I thought it would be funny/ironic to have that as my name. As you can see in my avatar, it originates from me collecting/researching UG's. For example Zap #2, as well as most Golden age of UnderGrounds have a .50 cent cover price. I've been focusing on issue #2 of Zap and next will probably be Freak Brothers. Of course the first prints are the most collectible and important of the prints, and my research will soon (San Diego ComiCon) show on the Zap how special the first print is...

From Jay, I got the art to the inside back cover of the first print of Bijou #1.

Sorry about the 50 cent thing. The rap guy never crossed my mind. I assumed your name refers to the Zap #2 first print. May I ask why are you looking for the Zap #2 fourth print? Is that the $1.00 printing?

Love the Freak Brothers, A year ot two ago, Heritage had the original art to the back cover of one of the FFF issues, Dope, Before & After, I wanted it bad, but not $5000 bad.

Are you going to focus on the whole FFF run, or just certain issues?