• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "add sets" thread...

4 posts in this topic

Hey Architecht, It seems kinda silly to have the "add sets" thread. For the registry to work and be complete, you may as well start with the letter "A" in the CGC Census and go from there. Then start a new thread to add sets of comic books that have not been slabbed yet. Meaning some of some of the more obscure titles and independents of the '80's that have not been listed in Overstreet for many years. Its just a matter of time before the those comics become collectable again. Just wait for a CGC 9.6 of Miami Mice popcorn.gif

PS How long does it really take to add sets from the request thread??? Christo_pull_hair.gif

sig.jpg

• Administrator

Not to make light of your suggestion, but it would be a considerable undertaking to create and score a registry set for every issue of each comic title we have ever graded. Also if we were to start alphabetically, the individuals who are waiting for (persay) a "Walking Dead" set would get fed up and leave. Though we strive to reach this point eventually, in order to make the additions more appealing to a large audience we have asked for the customer's input on this board under the "Please Add These Sets" thread.

Each set is created manually and each issue is scored manually and though a formula is used there is still a lot of manual input necessary. So, it can take some time to create a set, especially if there are numerous issues we haven't graded since those books have to be set up in our grading system before they can be created on the registry. So, this would take time away from the graders. Thus, your suggestion of adding books we have never even seen would be overly labor intensive and the books may never be submitted. One good example is our "Ren and Stimpy" set. This was requested and added, but is not being used in any way. So it takes up space on our database and took away time from creating a set that, perhaps, would be of more use to a collector like yourself.

It is a tricky process of satisfying everyone's requests and we hope to make customizable sets in the near future where you can register any book (similar to the Signature Sets for coins). Please feel free to make suggestions in that "Please Add" thread if there are specific sets that you would like created. We do go through that thread before each addition and select several user requested sets to add, so yours could even included in the next announcement!

Hi Gemma,

Just so you know, every set I've requested and has been added, I've had my books entered asap. I promise to keep doing that (hint hint: please add my set requests) flowerred.gifgrin.gif

Gemma, while I do not envy the people who have the job of adding random sets into your database, I was just thinking that CGC already has all of the registry information in the Census. After all, you can't register a comic book/magazine if it hasn't been graded by them. The requested sets that I have made (and haven't been added) are only for those comics I own and have had graded. One of the main reasons for me registering my CGC'd books is for a verified list I can give to my insurance company incase of theft or fire. The value of my collection will be easier to determine. (Ren & Stimpy is not part of it.)

The Census Database was just an idea that made since to me.

I don't mean to seem impatient or ungrateful. I too have a job where you can't please everybody all the time and it can be a real drag. I'm sure everyone there is working their butts off and it is appreciated. I've been collecting since I was a kid (43 now) and have spent literally thousands and thousands of dollars on this wonderful hobby. Anything to improve it is fine with me. Now I will kick back and patiently wait for "Please add" list to be added. Thanks wink.gif

sig.jpg