• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original art appreciation thread

629 posts in this topic

I did a survey of HG Peter originals a few months back and

only managed to find 2-3 other inked comic book pieces (including

an unpublished cover) in my auction catalogs. These are incredibly

rare and IMO very undervalued - thanks for sharing, Steve.

Here's my latest acquisition below. It's the cover to issue #1 of the Marvel mini-series Nightside (which was actually quite good), featuring the lead character Sydney Taine. The cover is by Smallville artist Tom Derenick. And yes, every piece of art I own except for one features at least one beautiful woman... insane.gif

Derenick%20Nightside%201%20cover.jpg

Is this the actual original production art for the cover? I have a reason for asking (not a slam or neg thing) but want to be sure before I post.

Yes, it is the original production art, with the Marvel stamp on the back. Remember, a lot of modern art is inked/colored digitally these days...if you think this looks "sparse" in any way, you should check out Greg Horn's or Salvador Larroca's "originals", which are only pencils!

Gene

Yes, it is the original production art, with the Marvel stamp on the back. Remember, a lot of modern art is inked/colored digitally these days...if you think this looks "sparse" in any way, you should check out Greg Horn's or Salvador Larroca's "originals", which are only pencils!

Actually I think it looks damned impressive. I was just wondering about all that gray shading was all. Being an old fogey, I tend to be used to more line-art in production work. This is a really nice looking piece. Also reminds me a bit of the way the Fleischer Studios Superman cartoons were drawn using a gray scale base that lend a very textural, 3-d feel.