• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman pricing vs Batman pricing

20 posts in this topic

I have a couple of questions for veteran Gold collectors. I have seen the guide differential between Batman and Superman pricing and also obseved where these books are really selling. Superman 1 sells for substantially more than Batman 1 (double ?). Superman 2 and 3 seem to sell somewhat higher also. However, in general the rest of the Batman run sells for somewhat higher than the Superman run. I am trying to understand the anamoly.

1)are the differences in the 1's due to the unrestored copies of each graded vs the demand for the ssue?

2)Did the success of the Batman movies vs the Superman movies push the Batman prices in general, above the superman (create a greater interest)?

3)Is my analysis correct?

Thanks

I have a couple of questions for veteran Gold collectors. I have seen the guide differential between Batman and Superman pricing and also obseved where these books are really selling. Superman 1 sells for substantially more than Batman 1 (double ?). Superman 2 and 3 seem to sell somewhat higher also. However, in general the rest of the Batman run sells for somewhat higher than the Superman run. I am trying to understand the anamoly.

1)are the differences in the 1's due to the unrestored copies of each graded vs the demand for the ssue?

2)Did the success of the Batman movies vs the Superman movies push the Batman prices in general, above the superman (create a greater interest)?

3)Is my analysis correct?

Thanks

I confess to having thought about this myself for many years. The nly conclusion I can come up with is that Batman is, overall, a more intriquing character than Superman. But, historically speaking, the early Superman books are more important due to Superman's "first tier" place in comic book history. After a while, when the playing field has been levelled, so to speak, Superman and Batman are basically in the same weight class. And I think Stan Lee hit it on the head in regards to this. Batman overall is more appealing because he is a troubled HUMAN. Superman, on the other hand, is basically an alien who has had it pretty good.

Superman had a wonderful upbringing. Batman has his personal hell. There is an appeal there that, once the time frame of publication evens things out, makes Batman a character more easily related understood.

But I collect pre-code horror? What the Hades do *I* know?

I think the Bat covers are way cooler than the Superman covers as a whole. It doesn't get much better than Bats #1-11. Plus you get some Joker and Penguin covers sprinkled throughout the run who are both compelling villians. Supes don't have that element. Because of this, they are just more desirable. Just my two cents. As far as #1 vs. #1, I dunno. Are Supes #1 tougher to come by?confused-smiley-013.gif

I much prefer collecting Batman over Superman (Golden Age). As a character, I've always liked Batman more. And, you're right, Batman covers are much more appealing. At one time I was only 20 issues shy of completeing the Batman run. However, when it came time to drop a bunch of money for one book, Superman #1 won out. The historical importance of Superman outweighed Batman (to me) and I chose Superman #1 as the cornerstone of my collection. Glad I did. I'm sure others feel the same way regarding Superman's importance. laugh.gif

I agree with others on the coolness factor of Golden Age Batman over Superman. And the first Batman movie spiked up lots of Bat comics in the Guide, and as we know, Overstreet valuations for the older books seem to take on a life of their own.

As far as the valuation of the first few Superman vs. the first few Batman, ya gotta remember Superman #1 is a year or so older than Batman #1. Superman #1 was the first single-hero comic. We recently learned on these forums that Superman #1 had 3 separate printings the demand was so high. I don't recall a comparision to the print run of Batman #1, but I'd be willing to bet that by 1940 National Periodical Pubs realized they had a tiger by the tail and really printed a ton of the early Batman comics.

So I'd argue that, yes, Golden Age Batman "ought to" be worth more than Golden Age Superman, with the first few Superman issues being the exceptions due solely to age and historical importance.

As cool a book as Superman #1 is, I'm always going to argue that Batman #1 should be in the same price class (and yes I realize the difference in scarcity of 1939 vs. 1940 books).

Batman #1 is ALL NEW - compared to the 99% reprints in the Superman #1.

Batman #1 introduces the Joker.

Batman #1 introduces Catwoman.

Plus it's got that cool story of Batman firing a machine-gun from the Batplane.

Can it get any cooler than that.

As the books get older, 1 year won't make that big a difference in the time-frame scheme of things (like X-men #1 vs. earlier SA keys).

Batman is certainly more collected and has been since the late 80s when most Bat issues overtook same number Superman issues.

I still have no idea why Batman #11 guides for almost 2x Superman #14 though.

I've always felt that #14 should be just below #2 in value at a minimum.

It is the single most requested Superman issue there is and the quintessential Superman cover.

Batman #1 is ALL NEW - compared to the 99% reprints in the Superman #1...Batman #1 introduces the Joker...Batman #1 introduces Catwoman....Plus it's got that cool story of Batman firing a machine-gun from the Batplane.

Excellent points, Zilla! I have always considered Superman 1 to be a "country cousin" due to the reprint nature (except for adding the missing story pages). Batman #1 was a real #1 issue, not just in name.

In full agreement with you here. Batman #1 also contains the retelling of his orgin from Tec #33. Not only does it have the first Joker appearance, it has the first TWO Joker appearances. From a strictly pure "content" point of view, I have always stated that Batman #1 is by far the best book to come out from the Golden Age. I believe the higher supply in relationship to the other key Golden Age books is what keeps this book down in price relative to the other books.

I also agree with you that the Superman #14 cover is by far the best and most classic of all the Superman covers. I have not been able to understand the Overstreet pricing on this particular book. Every sale which I have seen for this book shows a SUBSTANTIAL mutiple to guide in ALL conditions, not just high grade, yet Overstreet continues to be very very conservative with the price increases here. Reminds me of other books such as More Fun #56 and Target #7 which shows upper mid-grades going for more than NM prices, yet Overstreet continues to be slow with the price increases.

I believe that Overstreet needs to pay even more attention to high demand classic covers to reflect their true market value in relationship to most of the non-classic mid-run mid-grade books which appears to be overpriced in the price guide.

Superman #14 is a great cover for sure!

My personal favorite is #17, just because of the political climate of the day. Nothing as much fun as seeing Hitler and Hideki Tojo being "rounded" up by Supes!

See following for both covers as attachments:

Everything you say is true, Zilla. I had forgotten that Supes #1 is a virtual reprint of the first five Action Comics stories. Batman #1 is the real deal in terms of story content, and I remember it was the only one of all the DC Famous First Edition reprints I bothered to pick up brand-new off the stands back in the day.

5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Pre-code horror in 2003?  You knew a lot more than at least 95% of us knew back then!

Actually I started around 1986. I was at the Outer Limits in Waltham and had been buying SA superhero books and talking with the owner, Steve Higgins. I forget how we got on the topic of horror but he pointed to a couple of long boxes under the tables holding his usual back issues. They were all pre-code horror, I eventually amassed a rather large pre-code horror collection which I sold many years later..