• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs. PGX

269 posts in this topic

There are several threads on this already (you will have to do a search), but here is my opinion from submissions with both companies:

PGX

- tougher on high grade books (some people buy them on eBay and resub to CGC for a higher grade)

- sell for a discount to CGC certified books

- faster turnaround and lower prices than CGC

- HAVE ISSUES WITH DETECTING RESTORATION

CGC

- more consistent with higher grade books

- more accurate with low to mid grade books

- sell for a nice premium to ungraded books in the same grade

- slower turnaround time and higher prices than PGX

- FAR BETTER AT DETECTING RESTORATION THAN PGX

Basically, if you are looking to slab some of your books don't waste your time with PGX. However, if you are looking at buying a graded book, focus on the PGX 9.0+ grades and you should probably be able to make out nicely on a resub. Anything lower than that is a crapshoot at best.

Go here to see some threads from people that USED to be PGX friendly, including myself:

http://forum.stlcomics.com/viewforum.php?f=16&sid=d869b2bdc02e0adaec8917609a66f97d

good Lord.

any temptation i may have had to buy a PGX book for the purpose of sending it to Sarasota has just gone up in smoke.

unless someone i know and trust already tells me they slabbed the book i'm looking at themselves, i won't be buying any PGX books, high grade and cheap or no

CGC is like having a hot dog with mustard.

PGX is like having a hot dog with ketchup and mustard boo.gif

gossip.gifWe all know ketchup has no business being on a hot dog

27_laughing.gif My wife loves ketchup on her hot dog. As for me, it's mustard only

CGC is like flying a Jet Fighter

PGX is like flying a crop duster.

Well, young ones like ketchup on their dogs, and moderns too. So I guess PGX does serve a purpose.

tongue.gif

And it should be mentioned many people feel the PGX holder is superior to CGC's.

No No you got it all wrong! makepoint.gif

CGC is like having a smokie dog with the works. cloud9.gif

PGX is like eating a recently defrosted Oscar Mayer wiener and a slice of plain bread. flamed.gif

Yes, although I no longer have the book, the one that hurt the most for me was a PGX 9.0 Silver Surfer 18 that came back CGC 9.4 Restored

screwy.gif

OK - beyond the hotdog comparisons - PGX made some mistakes by not detecting some restored comics in the recent past?

If you go back and search all the old PGX threads you will find disturbing patterns associated with PGX and Daniel. Take a look and draw your own conclusions.

Having competition in any market is healthy, but PGX has shot itself in the foot too many times to retain the trust of a majority of the serious collecting community.

Just my opinion.

Ze-

OK - beyond the hotdog comparisons - PGX made some mistakes by not detecting some restored comics in the recent past?

To put it mildly.

Here's a trip down memory lane... and kudos to Ze-man for getting the thread started. Forgot all about this!

Don't miss the PGX 9.4 Uncle Scrooge that shows up somewhere around page 20...looks like it was trimmed with a hacksaw. Weird wild stuff. tongue.gif

It's much more than that. Read the threads.

Sadly, it appears as if PGX is everything their detractors claimed they are -- a one man operation with limited resto detection skills and highly suspect relationship(s) with their best customer(s).

In the beginning, I submitted some books to PGX and I recently cracked them out. IMO, their brand is more of a negative than an accepted assurance.

I've recently come across information that I believe is reliable regarding the TL PGX connection that would blow the lid off of the entire thing. Unfortunately I feel it would be inappropriate to publish the info without corroboration so at this point I have to keep it to myself.