• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs. PGX

269 posts in this topic

"Church and Larson to me are the only true pedigree's"

Mathman-

I appreciate all comments made about our company as long as they are for a positive change (oh, yeah, don't get me wrong, I like positive comments about the things CGC has also already done wink.gif)

This statement you made about Pedigrees, really made me scratch my head.

Have you ever seen or owned a few S.F's, Penn copies, or even a Rockford? If not, you should try and check out some of them. All of these are considered pedigrees, by even some of the most vocal anti-pedigree hobbyists (The kind who believe that Pacific Coasts should not be a pedigree screwy.gif). Many examples of these books blow away many of the Larsons. I am not knocking the Larsons (I like them quite a bit!), but I have owned and seen thousands of examples from all five of these (and many other pedigrees), and I do not believe the Larsons would make it on the list if I could only choose 2 (or even 3)collections to call pedigrees just based on condition and depth alone. Granted, many of the rockfords have a lower PQ than many of the Larsons, but no where near the foxing, dirt, and writing on them. Jon Berk ( jbcomicbox on these boards) loves Larsons (And rightly so! ), he can tell you a great deal more than I about them

I hope this helps thumbsup2.gif

Have a great day!

-Steve

Steve, I know what you are trying to say. And I am sure you know I respect you a great deal. But if you are going to start dumping on Larsons, even indirectly, we might have to throw down.

mystic1.jpg

mystic2.jpg

mystic3.jpg

Mathman,

There is also some confusion from some collectors because "From the Collection of" is not the same as pedigrees. It's simply a notation that CGC provides for bulk/group encapsulation. There's simply no information I have that suggests that these types of books sell for a significant premium...unless of course, the book is truly scarce. I'm not sure if you are one of those collectors but just wanted to point it out just in case.

Your opinions about what is considered a "pedigree" and what isn't has been debated here on the boards...some good information if you mine for it.

I didn't care that the grade dropped from a 8.0 to 7.0. CGC'd books not only sell a hell of a lot easier, but typically sell for a bit more money. When I bought the book at the Atlanta Comic Con I paid just a little over guide for it. I am still happy though. Most of you top of line Overstreet Advisors such as Vincent Zurzolo, Gary Dolgoff, and Chris Foss do not buy PGX books. Even if they happened to do so, after taking with two of them they told me that they would pay just straight guide. Why? Come to your own conclusion, mine is that they do not trust there whole authentification process.

Steve, I know what you are trying to say. And I am sure you know I respect you a great deal. But if you are going to start dumping on Larsons, even indirectly, we might have to throw down.

mystic1.jpg

mystic2.jpg

mystic3.jpg

Never would dump on Larsons, even indirectly sorry.gifflowerred.gif

BTW......Those look so nice only because Larson had them pressed and dry cleaned blush.gifstooges.gif

BTW......Those look so nice only because Larson had them pressed and dry cleaned blush.gifstooges.gif

Actually, they look so nice because you didn't note it on the label!

Actually, they look so nice because you didn't note it on the label!

Now, thats a funny post sign-funnypost.gif

So being the whole world knows that these are touched books, how about I take em off your hands. I have low standards, at least that is the consensus. 27_laughing.gif

Hey Steve why doesn't CGC hand out the Purple Label to books that have been pressed? I mean in a since books that have pressed have been tampered with. I don't see how this differs from other sorts of restoration. I consider restoration anything that take a comic from its original state and gives it more of an overall appeal.

Thanks!

MathMan

I consider restoration anything that take a comic from its original state and gives it more of an overall appeal.

Thanks!

MathMan

There is not a general consensus that pressing is restoration. While many agree with your definition, many others (myself included) do not.

mystic1.jpg

mystic2.jpg

mystic3.jpg

Nice books thumbsup2.gif I like the cover to 2

mystic1.jpg

mystic2.jpg

mystic3.jpg

hey mrbedrock, do i see the 'Larson' is erased in the 'M' of Mystic on issue 2? that's dry-cleaning isn't it [graphite removal with an eraser, i'd say]? and unlike pressing, which i understand CGC can't definitively detect [how can you note a thing you can't know on a label, or put it in purple], that's easy to spot. why isn't that book in a purple holder? and why aren't the 'tampered with to return to original state' guys all over it? any clues?

mystic2.jpg

hey mrbedrock, do i see the 'Larson' is erased in the 'M' of Mystic on issue 2? that's dry-cleaning isn't it [graphite removal with an eraser, i'd say]? and unlike pressing, which i understand CGC can't definitively detect [how can you note a thing you can't know on a label, or put it in purple], that's easy to spot. why isn't that book in a purple holder? and why aren't the 'tampered with to return to original state' guys all over it? any clues?

how can anyone be "all over it" if they haven't seen it?

put the book in a thread in General, and i expect some people would be asking why that book isn't in a purple holder