• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my last, last i tell you, attempted transaction with metropolis

379 posts in this topic

i tried to go back to the well, but it didn't work out for me. can't do it again. here's the email summarizing my last "make an offer" deal with metro. it'll be my very last one. i know a lot of you guys buy tons of books from them--do y'all know somebody, or have a file with pictures in it? oh, well. plenty of fish in the sea.

"Frank,

sorry to take so long to respond. the book is a "very good seller?" i surely don't have your experience in the selling market, as i'm a collector, not a dealer, but i do note that the frazetta f.f.'s have gone down in 2 or 3 guides in a row, and just in the last month or so i bought a 211 in cgc 8.0 on ebay for $700 [ebay # 160110598072] and a 209 in cgc 8.0 for $657 [with juice] in the may heritage auction. both under guide, and both books higher graded than yours. your list price, for the lower graded book, is of course higher than i paid for either of the better books. my offer [a little over guide] was VERY reasonable in this market, and your invitation for a 'counteroffer' when all you want to 'give' is shipping is insulting and, really, kind of ridiculous in my view. but it's your book, and your selling policy; keep up the good work--i know heritage and comiclink must love it. y'all have become number 3 and are getting smaller in their rear-view mirrors. i haven't done much business with metro of late, but unless some book i just GOTTA have comes up [and it will have to be really something, as i didn't go for the mystic 9 you've had for about 2 years on the site even when it was the very last timely superhero book i needed for the global run], this was my last overture to dealing with your company.

regards,

Billy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 10:07 AM

To: Parker, William

Subject: Re: Offer for FAMOUS FUNNIES 215, CGC VF- : 7.5

Thanks for contacting us and making an offer! We have considered your offer and respectfully decline, as this book is a very good seller and has become difficult to restock in recent months. I would be happy to offer free shipping on this title anywhere in the US (or $10 off international shipping). Also, if you'd like to make a counteroffer, feel free to contact me directly at this address or the numbers below. Let me know if you would like this book or if I can help with anything else. Thanks again!

Frank Cwiklik

Metropolis Collectibles

Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2007 11:57 PM

Subject: Offer for FAMOUS FUNNIES 215, CGC VF- : 7.5

Title: FAMOUS FUNNIES

Issue: 215

Grade: CGC VF- : 7.5

Comments: crm/ow pages Frazetta-c

Url: Search Results

List Price: $715

Discount %: 0

Discount Price: $715

Customer Offer: $650"

-------------------------------------------------

Has ANYONE made an offer that was accepted? Seems like everyone gets the same form email when they try to make a deal with Metro. What's the point of having a "make and offer" option when the prices are non-negotiable? screwy.gif

When I used to buy from them, I got similiar messages when I attempted to make reasonable offers. In some cases I made offers for books and got a response stating that an offer wasn't available for that particular book (even though a make an offer option was stated in auction).

That's strike #1 for me

Strike #2:

Bought a book that was advertised a VF (I believe) it got to me with an undisclosed hole punch in the cover. Only noticed it a few months after purchase, the hole punch was covered by a price sticker.

Strike #3:

Made offer for a Aces High #3 gaines file copy, got a rediculus counter-offer. Made complaints that their asking price was unrealistic and absurd. Got banned. Didn't matter because I'll never buy from them again.

ComicLink is by far the better choice. They have fantastic customer service, ship really quickly in any service you choose. They are willing to accept reasonable offers. And their auctions allow you to purchase books at some great deals.

now $700 is the "meet halfway" point of $715 and $650. beautiful. i didn't take it.

"I'm sorry you feel that way, but I can tell you that the Frazetta FFs have sold at their asking price at nearly every convention we've been to over the past year, and we're having some difficulty getting them back in stock. They may not have been selling at recent auctions, but I know what we've been having success with, and these books sell. I'd be willing to meet halfway and sell the book for $700, but that really is the lowest I can go, and I'm only doing that for you, I wouldn't offer that to anyone else. As for recent sales, frankly, we're doing extremely well, otherwise we'd be offering discounts on everything in the place (and the free shipping offer isn't so insulting when you realize what a hit we take on shipping anymore, as fees and insurance have gone through the roof). Feel free to contact me directly. Thanks."

Frank Cwiklik

Metropolis Collectibles

Has ANYONE made an offer that was accepted? Seems like everyone gets the same form email when they try to make a deal with Metro. What's the point of having a "make and offer" option when the prices are non-negotiable? screwy.gif

What's the point of a worm... on a hook... on a line... cast into the fishing pond?

STEVE

Billy I feel your frustration but to be honest I can't blame them for sticking to their asking price, its their option. I'm sure they have has record sales this past year because the market is as hot as I can recall in recent memory. I search Metro's site on a regular basis and while a lot of the books might be overpriced and may sit for months but they almost always seem to sell at the end of the day. Trust me I had to break down and pay full price a few times because I just didn't want to wait to find a certain copy of a book. I just noticed a few nice BA and GA books that have been on their site for about 6 months but are now gone. The average collector is just going to break down and even pay a premium to get a book that they are after (include me in that group) before someone else snags it.

On the flip side PGC Mint recently sold that HT#12 CGC 8.5 in about 2 seconds flat for $4,250. I honestly felt that the book was underpriced because it would have sold just as fast at $5,250. confused-smiley-013.gif

What's the point of a worm... on a hook... on a line... cast into the fishing pond?

STEVE

Maybe, but fish don't get insulted and start threads about it. Seems to me that after a few rejected offers this policy could backfire and drive customers away rather than bring them in....case in point.

Then again what do I know. They can do as they please. confused-smiley-013.gif

True, Metro is completely allowed to squeeze every last penny out of their buyers. But does that create a happy buyer...no. With ComicLink, Pedigree, Heritage, etc. available that unhappy buyer will just go elsewhere. Then spread the word about Metro's unwaivering ability to negotiate a deal on books. So on and so forth until buyers only look at Metro's site only for books they can't find elsewhere.

BillyP-- I understand your frustration and, like others, I've made offers near their asking prices that were declined-- and questioning why they take offers in the first place. screwy.gif However, I continue to purchase GA books from Metropolis (actually, my share-of-wallet to Metro has increased lately!) knowing I could buy it cheaper elsewhere IF I COULD FIND IT. Metro's GA inventory is compelling even if their prices aren't.

I agree their approach is puzzling and Metro is definitely losing ground to eBay/Comiclink/Heritage. When I hear BSDs like BillyParker complain they can't get discounts, then what hope do collectors like myself have? I am in no position to defend their approach but I can offer some reasonable explainations that guide my interactions with Metro:

First, I believe Metro prices books at top of market not to sell now but to find a willing buyer in 6-12 months. So, declining your offer of $650 implies Metro thinks someone will pay more in the near future even if it takes until the next OPG arrives... most books will sell eventually. The secret to Metro's success is maximizing margins not volume, and having the required patience and capital to do so. Also, Metro gets alot of post-Auction (Heritage/Clink/Mastro) business where underbidders go to Metro to buy the same book for more than auction they didn't win.

Second, an increasing share of their inventory is consignment where Metro has zero negotiation room. I always ask Frank if the book I'm interested in is consignment...if it is, I know there's no flexibility. Yet, books from a recently acquired collection where Metro already has multiples in inventory...those I can get discounts on (at least, on occasion).

Third, Metro's decision to start comiccollect.com will allow them to sell select books from inventory at closer to market prices (I hope they will be considering offers anyway!) since they will be side-by-side with non-Metro submissions.

Fourth, Metro shops at Heritage too. If they win a book, you can be sure its because they feel its undervalued and they will price it accordingly. Yes it hurts when I buy books from Metro that sold for 25% less six months before at Heritage... but I can only ask myself "Would I buy at Metro's price today?".

Fifth, when Metro buys entire collections, they know a handful of key books will drive returns on investment while the majority will sit for a long time (currently, thousands of books are laying idle, ungraded, unpriced on the office floor waiting to be inventoried...even some Timelys and early Actions that I put bids on two months ago!!). Big-time collectors like BillyP are probably asking for discounts on these rarer/hotter books...must be a reason why Mystic 9 is his last Timely.

Just my two cents... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Dino

The make an offer button has frustrated me too....

But, Metro has no obligation to offer a great deal on each book, their business model obvously depends on a great selection rather than rock bottom prices.

If you feel like you have to get a low price to enjoy a book than you should what for an auction and take your chances. If you want to snap up a book you love, Metro is a great place to start.

Metro is exteremely professional and has exceptional customer service.

Ya, but at what point in maximizing your profits will it cause customers to be turned away in sheer disgust.

Good point, but since any purchase you make is voluntary, there must be some degree of satisfaction, right? Maybe Metro wants satisfied customers, not necessarily happy ones. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

GE

The make an offer button has frustrated me too....

But, Metro has no obligation to offer a great deal on each book, their business model obvously depends on a great selection rather than rock bottom prices.

If you feel like you have to get a low price to enjoy a book than you should what for an auction and take your chances. If you want to snap up a book you love, Metro is a great place to start.

Metro is exteremely professional and has exceptional customer service.

Their customer service is exceptional, when I asked them to ban me for life from their site, they immediately complied.

Ya, but at what point in maximizing your profits will it cause customers to be turned away in sheer disgust.

Good point, but since any purchase you make is voluntary, there is some degree of satisfaction, right? Maybe Matro wants satisfied customers, not necessarily happy ones. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

GE

Short term satisfaction on impulse buys maybe, or purchases the wealthy make. Those average collectors like myself feels almost ashamed I spent so much on a book that I will never be able to sell at the price I bought. Apparently their customers are so satisfied that they are losing business to ComicLink and Heritage etc