• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE PQ IS WHITE....WHAT'S THE QP?

142 posts in this topic

A while back, I asked the forum to "TEST YOUR GRADING SKILLS" on a few PPSS 27's, and everyone did really well.

This time around, I'd like to see if we can come to any kind of agreement about the impact "production defects" should have on a books grade. At the time of writing this....there are only 3 "defects" that should be considered:

• MISWRAPS
  • CENTERING/MISCUT
  • MISPLACED STAPLES

We can add to this list of "defects" as we go along....

For the sake of argument, let's "suspend belief" and pretend that the following books are CGC 10.0's 893whatthe.gif

Now let's see what DEDUCTIONS should accompany specific "PRODUCTION DEFECTS".

From this point forward, I will refer to this type of grading as QP(Quality of Production)tm smirk.gif

How about a deduction of 0.1 per 1mm of miswrap?

And for misplaced staples: no deduction if staples are offset less than 1mm from the apex of the spine.

And deduction of 0.? points per millimeter if more than that...

opinions...anyone

At least these defects are measurable, so it shouldn't be difficult to make grading standards for such production flaws.

hehee..metric rules grin.gif

Personally I think that miswrap towards the front cover is much worse.

So more specifically:

"miswrap towards front cover"= 0.2 points per millimeter

"miswrap to BC"= 0.1 points per millimeter.

I hope you all understand what I mean.

"....so it shouldn't be difficult to make grading standards for such production flaws."

That's exactly what I would like to do. Let's create our own "grading standards" in reference to the QP grade of the book.... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I really haven't thought about centering until now, so I haven't formed a clear opinion about that yet.

but how about this...if miswrap is at angle, it should be measured at it's maximum point.(look at that pic of BC you posted, at top miswrap is about 1mm and at the bottom it's 3mm). So deduction of grade should be based on that larger number (3mm).

That way both miswraps and centering is measured at the same time and deduction of grade is based accordingly.

(I hope I haven't confused terms miswrap and off-centering)

So..what's your opinion on my QP grading standards...

27_laughing.gif or 893scratchchin-thumb.gif or 893censored-thumb.gif or cloud9.gif

I think I'll appoint you PRIMARY GRADER. 893applaud-thumb.gif

What do you think the 1st book would grade for QP?

I'm thinking 9.6 for now......what do you think?

Based on my 0.1 deduction per/mm of miswrap (on BC)... total QP deduction is 0.3

So this book would be 9.7 ooo.gif (supposedly it's mint 10.0 book otherwise)

probably would round it down to 9.6 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

btw...did you notice that sborock was online for a long period reading posts after you started this thread...

maybe trying to steal our ideas gossip.gifgrin.gif

Based on my 0.1 deduction per/mm of miswrap (on BC)... total QP deduction is 0.3

So this book would be 9.7 ooo.gif (supposedly it's mint 10.0 book otherwise)

probably would round it down to 9.6 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

btw...did you notice that sborock was online for a long period reading posts after you started this thread...

maybe trying to steal our ideas gossip.gifgrin.gif

I agree with your total QP deduction of -.3, but I deducted .1 more because the miswrap never actually reaches "perfection".

Look at the above scan as a reference. Although the book has a bad miswrap to the front, the bottom left corner of the spine does appear to reach "perfection".

The staples on the second book seem to be within your "guidelines", and shouldn't be taken into consideration when deducting for "defects".

Maybe Steve will drop in at some point.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What did I tell you about doing this..." confused-smiley-013.gif " all the time.... mad.gif
OK....won't happen again....for a few posts! 893frustrated.gif

Your lucky my image host is full....

I was going to give you a Superman to grade that has a 1/2" miswrap, and the staples are way out there as well.... tongue.gif

What did I tell you about doing this..." confused-smiley-013.gif " all the time.... mad.gif
OK....won't happen again....for a few posts! 893frustrated.gif

Your lucky my image host is full....

I was going to give you a Superman to grade that has a 1/2" miswrap, and the staples are way out there as well.... tongue.gif

Greggy's seen worse so bring it on! BTW...get a better image host cheapo! insane.gif

I'll start a thread tomorrow entitled...."A SUPERMAN FOR GREGGY". smirk.gif

Why don't you give us your expert opinion regarding "production defects"? confused-smiley-013.gif

It's irrelevant when I sell books with them and relevant when I buy books for myself! grin.gif