• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE PQ IS WHITE....WHAT'S THE QP?

142 posts in this topic

This is tricky...

Because that book is mis-cut (not square), it seems that there is only very minor miswrap on the spine. (small white area at the top of the spine)

But worst flaw in this book is that mis-cut (it kind of overrides that miswrap flaw)

Bottom is about 3mm wider than top, so how about if we use it as a basis of grade deduction? 3x0.2=0.6 (0.2 as flaw is visible on FC)

So maximum QP grade is NM 9.4

Sounds harsh, but this is just an example/one man opinion (and I hate diagonally cut books...they just look weird)

Also there must be some tolerance for mis-cuts, as books rarely are perfectly square and small miscuts can't be detected with naked eye.

Maybe if there's multiple QP defects on the same book, only worst defect is accounted towards grade? confused.gif What about VG-Fine-VF books with QP defects 893frustrated.gif maybe defects like cover miswrap affect only grades above 9.0 confused.gifinsane.gif893frustrated.gifinsane.gif893frustrated.gif

Ok it's time to go to sleep...

" maybe defects like cover miswrap affect only grades above 9.0"

QP on books 9.0 and higher? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sounds good to me. I agree that the second book would be about 9.4 as well.

I've got two more copies that I want to post, but I've reached my daily limit for images. 893frustrated.gif

I think both of them should grade higher than the 1st book, but one is definately a notch above the other.

Anyone else got a PPSS 27 we can grade? Anyone think they have the PERFECT 10? confused-smiley-013.gif

"...if miswrap is at angle, it should be measured at it's maximum point.(look at that pic of BC you posted, at top miswrap is about 1mm and at the bottom it's 3mm). So deduction of grade should be based on that larger number (3mm). "

Should a book that has a 3mm angled miswrap grade the same as a book that has a straight 3mm miswrap? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Should a book that has a 3mm angled miswrap grade the same as a book that has a straight 3mm miswrap? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think the angle should be downgraded for very slightly worse. Overstreet doesn't take something like this into account; it tends to only give one severity attribute for defects--length in inches. Many defects have several attributes, however, such as angle in degrees or area in square inches.

The problem with doing a straight deduction on any defect such as Arty suggests (0.1 per 1 mm), whether it be production or otherwise, is that it doesn't fit well when mixed with other defects that are more severe. For example, if you have a book with a 1/8" miswrap, staples to the front by 1/4", and a 5 degree miscut on the right edge, the 5 degree edge miscut would be by far the worse defect, and the miswrap and staples would be so comparatively slight that they can simply be "riders" on the downgrade for the miscut. Point deduction systems tend to break down unless you set some kind of upper limits at which you stop deducting...there are certain types of books that would get negative scores if you're not careful with a point deduction system. I think they can work if you set limits, but I haven't personally seen anyone come up with a set of successful limits yet.

I'd give Exhibit A a 9.8, Exhibit B a 9.9, Exhibits C and D a 10.0, and Exhibit E a 10.0.

Would you downgrade for these staples?

Tough call...I'd say either 10.0 or 9.9, hard to say which. I lean towards 10.0 because it appears the offset is only 1/32"; any more than that and I'd knock it down.

Finally other posters on this thread laugh.gif

The problem with doing a straight deduction on any defect such as Arty suggests (0.1 per 1 mm), whether it be production or otherwise, is that it doesn't fit well when mixed with other defects that are more severe. For example, if you have a book with a 1/8" miswrap, staples to the front by 1/4", and a 5 degree miscut on the right edge, the 5 degree edge miscut would be by far the worse defect, and the miswrap and staples would be so comparatively slight that they can simply be "riders" on the downgrade for the miscut.

Good point, that's why I suggested that only worst QP defect is noted while grading.

Point deduction systems tend to break down unless you set some kind of upper limits at which you stop deducting...there are certain types of books that would get negative scores if you're not careful with a point deduction system.

Yes there should be some kind of limits, for this kind of grading to work. Maybe QP defects are allowed in lower grades. Who cares about slight miswrap on a Fine book.

EXHIBIT C: Mis-cut (spine is in angle) cover wrap is nearly perfect (less than 1mm)

QP= 9.8 to 9.9

EXHIBIT D: cover wrap in spine area is off less than 1mm so no deduction in grade, because it's shifted towards back cover. Very slight angle on cover art, QP-grade 9.9 because of those uneven pages at bottom edge

Beyonder: I think that ASM 194 is pretty much perfect regarding QP defects.

Even if cover art is shifted downwards, all art is visible.

About those staples: I'd give this book 9.9 if otherwise perfect

This book really bothers me....

Yea it bothers me too. I buy 9.6 or better copies of the Byrne X-Men, but I've passed on 3-4 copies over the last year due to that "Still only 35 cents" bubble being sliced off at the top.

It's hard for me to say how you should deduct for it, but since I have seen copies where the graphics aren't cut off up top, I think it should be downgraded for.

Why doesn't someone post a scan of a book with some "production defects"?(once again, I'm past my daily limit)

Better yet.....anyone think they got a QP 10.0? Post'em if you got'em. smirk.gif

What would a QP 10.0 be?

confused.gif

Why doesn't someone post a scan of a book with some "production defects"?(once again, I'm past my daily limit)

Better yet.....anyone think they got a QP 10.0? Post'em if you got'em. smirk.gif

What would a QP 10.0 be?

confused.gif

Have you read this thread at all? makepoint.gif

NO miswrap

NO miscut

PERFECT centering

PERFECT staple placement

Sheesh..... smirk.gif