• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing #4 Help, not sure if it's restored (Pics)

8 posts in this topic

If you think it's really a 9.4, then send it to CGC and they'll tell you whether it's restored or not. You'd get a LOT more money if CGC certifies it as a 9.4 as compared to trying to sell it raw, because buyers will be wondering the same thing you currently are--is it restored?

It might help if you tell us where you bought it...some sellers are good at detecting restoration and some aren't, so identifying your seller may (or may not) indicate the likelihood that it's restored.

Is there an over-hang at the top of the cover? And, the right edge does not look perfectly straight and why can I see a slim "beige" edge along the right side where the 4th panel is? Is that the edge of the cover or the 1st page poking out the side? It is a scan and you can't draw any conlusions from a scan. Could you check out what I see and advise?

first question, who did you buy this from, and how long ago was the transaction? the edge of the cover does look to "straight and clean". also i might add, books this early from marvel usually have "overhang" on the FC, my best solution to you is to send it in to CGC for certification. laugh.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif BTW, i always loved the 4 panel ditko cover! cloud9.gif

I too think the right edge looks trimmed. But from a scan, it's nigh to impossible to tell for sure. As for the overhang, is that really something CGC's penalizes for?

A nice book either way... if you're planning to sell it, then getting it slabbed is the right thing to do in this instance - both for your sake and the buyer's ...

On the other hand, if you determine it to be trimmed, and thus know that it will get a restored label from CGC, you may want to just keep it. Might be worth the CGC "first look" service or whatever they call that strange "pre-screening" that they offer - IF that screening includes their opinion re: restoration...

Have a professional look at it, either CGC or someone else. Posting a scan of a book and asking people if it's trimmed or color touched isn't going to help you much, because even more than grading, you really need the book in hand to detect restoration.

too think the right edge looks trimmed. But from a scan, it's nigh to impossible to tell for sure. As for the overhang, is that really something CGC's penalizes for?

CGC doesn't penalize for an overhang. But to my knowledge, all Silver-Age Marvels have some overhang. If the top of the book is flush with the pages, than it is probably trimmed. Even if it isn't flush with the pages (i.e. has an overhang), it could still be trimmed.

From a scan, there is no way to tell.

Hi Castiles...

If you don't feel comfortable about the authenticity of the book, then how are you going to answer a potential buyer's question regarding it? You don't want to have to tell him you're not sure if it's trimmed or not. If it's a legitimate NM, then the books is going to be worth a few thousand dollars. Best bet is to send it to the professionals at CGC, IMHO.