• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Acidic odor present

7 posts in this topic

I have a few 1944-1949 comic books that I have been trying to figure out what grade they might be. The one thing that I do not know is how do I figure out what an acidic odor smells like? They smell like comic books to me. Is it possible to describe this order? Does it really smell like acid?

Jeanne

If you mean they have a sort of sweetish smell when you say they smell like comic books, that is fine. If it's a harsh, moldy smell -- not so good. If you want a good comparison, buy an old Popular Mechanics magazine from the 1950s at any flea market for a couple of bucks-- those things always smell bad as they decayed rapidly.

My 12¢

Dennis

Yeah, in general, if it just smells like regular paper its not a problem. If, however, it smells like something that's been sitting in your basement for years... you're looking at a book with acid odor.

I have a few 1944-1949 comic books that I have been trying to figure out what grade they might be. The one thing that I do not know is how do I figure out what an acidic odor smells like? They smell like comic books to me. Is it possible to describe this order? Does it really smell like acid?

Jeanne

I think you are probably fine. Page Quality is more important then smell imho.(even though they go hand in hand) If a book smells bad enough for it to have severe acidification, more then likely it looks like it too.

Too many unknown variables to really give you better advice though.

Ze-

Jeanne

Basically, the if there is a smell reminiscent of vinegar, then that is an acidic smell.

Jeanne

Basically, the if there is a smell reminiscent of vinegar, then that is an acidic smell.

No vinegar smell either.

Thanks All

Jeanne