• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A bit OT but interesting OA nonetheless

16 posts in this topic

You are right Mike, it is the British version. My sense was that since Harry Potter is a WORLDWIDE phenom, someone would drop the coin to say they own the original cover. The first edition of the first book (limited to 200 copies) goes for $15-20K when they surface.

Add into the fact that this is the British version of the Harry Potter book and not the US version, which I imagine would be higher.

Or I could be wrong

my 2c

Interesting comparison, but as the author is British why wouldn't the British version be highest demand?

Do Marvel UK covers attract higher interest that the first-run US versions?

Terry,

The first run US covers always seem to sell for much more than the British counterparts. I've seen Marvel UK covers for sale and there usually isn't a high interest......

I know what you're saying Stephen. While Harry Potter is a worldwide phenomenon, the original art isn't. It's a niche market and doesn't have quite the same impact for a 45K cover compared to a 20 dollar book that everyone has access to....And who's to say if the asking price is really too high, too low or just right.

Terry,

The first run US covers always seem to sell for much more than the British counterparts.

My point is that the HARRY POTTER books are a British phenomenon that quickly gained worldwide popularity (same as the Marvel books are an American phenomenon that attracted a massive following overseas).

To my mind, artwork associated with first-editions, from country of origin, ought to be the focal point of interest for collectors/would-be buyers.

Which is why I countered with the Marvel USA/Marvel UK juxtaposition (regarding desirability of original artwork).

If you see what I mean?

To my mind, artwork associated with first-editions, from country of origin, ought to be the focal point of interest for collectors/would-be buyers.

Which is why I countered with the Marvel USA/Marvel UK juxtaposition (regarding desirability of original artwork).

I don't think the Marvel USA/Marvel UK juxtaposition works here, as I'm pretty sure the Marvel UK comics sold a tiny percentage of volume vs. the Marvel USA versions, while I'm guessing that the US version of Harry Potter sold many more copies than the UK version (given the population difference alone). I mean, I had never even seen the cover of the Bloomsbury (UK) version before yesterday - it has an unfamiliar image and even an unfamiliar logo to those of us who know Harry Potter through either the US books or the movies.

When I first saw the image yesterday morning, I was briefly tempted to snap up the cover. At $46K and change (at yesterday's exchange rate), it actually doesn't seem that unreasonable compared to where some comic book art is trading. In the end, though, I decided that it would really be more of a spec buy than anything, as it's not really an image I love, so I passed.

As for the above posts regarding the "reasonableness" of this kind of art at ~$45K, all I can say is that comic art prices in general have become so ridiculous these days that I have started pricing art in terms of units of BMW 3-series automobiles! (full credit to Hari for first making the comparison) Based on my recent visit to the local Bimmer dealer, I figure $38K gets you a fully-loaded 328i including taxes & delivery (it may be even a little less; I think you can almost get a 328xi for that amount). So, the Harry Potter cover is worth approximately 1.22 BMW 3-series automobiles. Is that reasonable? Well, I've certainly seen worse comparisons for lesser art of late...!

Gene

Gene

I agree with your opinion. When I saw the price I felt that it wasn't totally out of line. Then again, I think OA collectors have become jaded when we shell out 40K+ DItko ASM pages and 25K for KJ pages. I like your BMW analogy. Certainly puts things in perspective.

And I imagine millions more people would be familiar with 'new' versions of the TALES FROM THE CRYPT comic-book covers mocked-up for the HBO TV series based on the old EC books of the 1950s.

Wonder which would be more appealing to collectors . . .

A Jack Davis TALES FROM THE CRYPT original cover . . . or a Mike Vosberg version for the (wider audience) HBO TV series . . .

And on a side-note, Gene, how many BMWs could you have bought with all the money you've ploughed into your OA collection . . ?

And I imagine millions more people would be familiar with 'new' versions of the TALES FROM THE CRYPT comic-book covers mocked-up for the HBO TV series based on the old EC books of the 1950s.

Wonder which would be more appealing to collectors . . .

A Jack Davis TALES FROM THE CRYPT original cover . . . or a Mike Vosberg version for the (wider audience) HBO TV series . .

The US/UK Harry Potter books were fungible items and were released more or less concurrently, not 40-odd years apart. I'm not sure making the comparison to the original artwork for a classic, antique comic book read by millions back in the day and a prop used for a derivative niche cable TV series 4 decades later makes a lot of sense... hm

And on a side-note, Gene, how many BMWs could you have bought with all the money you've ploughed into your OA collection . . ?

More than most, fewer than some...it's all relative, no? I'd say I'm pretty set in the automobile department, though, so I'd rather buy more OA. :P:jokealert: