• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gavin Hood to Direct Wolverine

12 posts in this topic

20th Century Fox has set Gavin Hood to direct Hugh Jackman in Wolverine, the "X-Men" spinoff that was written by David Benioff.

The film, which begins production in November for a 2008 release, will be produced by Lauren Shuler-Donner, Jackman and his Seed Productions partner John Palermo.

Hood is the South African director whose 2005 film Tsotsi won the foreign film Oscar. His next film, the thriller Rendition with Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal, opens on October 12.

Using several resources that include the Marvel Comics lore, along with the more recent Weapon X graphic novels by Frank Miller, Wolverine mixes action with an origin story about how Logan emerged from a barbaric experiment as an indestructible mutant with retractable razor-sharp claws.

After three "X-Men" films grossed over $1 billion worldwide, the studio has made Wolverine a top priority.

"I have long been a fan of Gavin's work and know he will make a masterful film with the character intensity and action beats the fans expect," said Jackman.

20th Century Fox has set Gavin Hood to direct Hugh Jackman in Wolverine, the "X-Men" spinoff that was written by David Benioff.

The film, which begins production in November for a 2008 release, will be produced by Lauren Shuler-Donner, Jackman and his Seed Productions partner John Palermo.

Hood is the South African director whose 2005 film Tsotsi won the foreign film Oscar. His next film, the thriller Rendition with Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal, opens on October 12.

Using several resources that include the Marvel Comics lore, along with the more recent Weapon X graphic novels by Frank Miller, Wolverine mixes action with an origin story about how Logan emerged from a barbaric experiment as an indestructible mutant with retractable razor-sharp claws.

After three "X-Men" films grossed over $1 billion worldwide, the studio has made Wolverine a top priority.

"I have long been a fan of Gavin's work and know he will make a masterful film with the character intensity and action beats the fans expect," said Jackman.

If the hollywood hack that wrote this meant the early 1980's mini it could be a pretty cool movie, wouldn't mind watching Logan mixing it up with ninja's in Japan.

I don't know why people are complaining. I get a kick out of just about all comic book adaptations. Some are better than others and while X3 was the worst of the trilogy it was still a really fun movie to watch. Can't say i know anything about the director and the article has confused the 1982 mini with the MCP Weapon X serial but it should be fun and i can't imagine anyone else ever playing Wolverine other than Jackman much like Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones. I just hope they don't get too deep into Wolverine's origin as it would really confuse most people, including us!

People are skeptical because I think most want to see a really good true to form movie and not the normal hollywood mega million lets make a no substance movie to appeal to the masses fests like the last two spideys, the x-men, daredevil and punisher.

Will I watch it? Sure. Am skeptical? Did you watch X-Men 3? You bet I'm skeptical :)

I've been saying that for the past 25 years.

When I read it the first time off of the rack, I said

to some buds that "this would make a great movie".

Their reply: "That's just riddiculious, they would make a movie about the Micronaughts

before they did that"

:grin:

People are skeptical because I think most want to see a really good true to form movie and not the normal hollywood mega million lets make a no substance movie to appeal to the masses fests like the last two spideys, the x-men, daredevil and punisher.

I agree completely with the exception of Spidey 2-- I thought that one was really well done (minus James Franco). Spidey 3.... yeah. But you're right. They get so caught up in the billion dollar bang and forget that there's some story involved.

I don't know why people are complaining. I get a kick out of just about all comic book adaptations. Some are better than others and while X3 was the worst of the trilogy it was still a really fun movie to watch. Can't say i know anything about the director and the article has confused the 1982 mini with the MCP Weapon X serial but it should be fun and i can't imagine anyone else ever playing Wolverine other than Jackman much like Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones. I just hope they don't get too deep into Wolverine's origin as it would really confuse most people, including us!

I couldn't agree more.

For me, watching super powers come to life on the screen makes an average story more tolerable.