• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #50

13 posts in this topic

Looks like it had a spine roll at one time that may have been professionally pressed out, but I don't know how pronounced the evidence is looking at the real thing. At best a Fine, but probably closer to a VG/F.

Seems to have a lot of it's color there and that helps. grin.gif

Since this book has other defects worse than this, it wouldn't affect the grade, but I've always wondered whether you should downgrade for the printing defect on this book. It looks like the color plates were out of alignment...everything on the cover is really blurry due to the misprint. Look at Spidey in the upper-left...it almost looks like he's got 4 eyes.

It's not my scanner...It was sent to me by a seller on Ebay offering it as VF/NM, with a spine roll. One glance told me it was half that grade, but I wondered where you all would put it. I thought maybe 6.0, but I tend to overgrade, unintentionally.

Before you ask, no I'm not really planning to bid. I was just curious to see how close to VF/NM it would come.

Nowhere NEAR VF/NM.

It's not my scanner...

It's not the scanner causing the blurriness, it's the book itself...scanners wouldn't warp the pixels in the way they're warped on that book. I've seen several books with misaligned color plates like this one and have always wondered how to account for it in grading.

It's not my scanner...It was sent to me by a seller on Ebay offering it as VF/NM, with a spine roll. One glance told me it was half that grade, but I wondered where you all would put it. I thought maybe 6.0, but I tend to overgrade, unintentionally.

Before you ask, no I'm not really planning to bid. I was just curious to see how close to VF/NM it would come.

5-ish. Run awayyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Scanners have a tendency to make the colors of a book look much brighter than they actually are. That's good for sellers, unfair for buyers. A VF/NM?? VF- tops. Sounds like this guys grades as well as the seller of an auction I saw last night who claimed his book was "Mint or better". Huh?

I have an ASM 50 in 8.5 slabbed on Ebay right now. It's only moderately overpriced. I'm waiting for comic-keys to bid on it.

Nowhere NEAR VF/NM.

No doubt! I was stunned when I got the scan. But I wanted your help placing the right grade on it. I wasn't too far off; I guessed 6, and the consensus is 5. For mid-grade books thatshade of difference isn't too drastic. But the gap between a 6 and a 9 is HUGE.