CGC & New Zealand Mint Partner on Label for DC Comics Foils
Posted on 4/23/2018
Just in time for the 80th anniversary of Superman, Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) and the New Zealand Mint have partnered to create a special CGC DC Comics certification label for the mint’s new Action Comics #1 Pure Silver Foil (released in April), as well as its Superman #1 Pure Silver Foil (being shipped starting May 11).
These unique collectibles are made from 35 grams (1.125 ounces) of .999 fine silver yet are paper-thin. They measure 175 x 262 mm (6.9 x 10.3 inches).
The front of the Action Comics #1 foil features an engraved and colorized image of Action Comics #1, which introduced Superman to the world in June 1938. Because they appeared at the dawn of the Golden Age of comics and set the stage for all the superheroes that followed, copies of Action Comics #1 are extremely prized by collectors today. In fact, one set a record several years ago by selling for more than $3 million.
The front of the Superman #1 foil features an engraved and colorized image of the June 1939 comic book that was Superman's first under his own title.
CGC will grade these foils according to its industry-standard 10-point grading scale. The highest grade, Gem Mint 10.0, is assigned to collectibles that appear flawless. It is approximately equivalent to a grade of 70 on the Sheldon numismatic grading scale used by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) and Paper Money Guaranty (PMG), two independent affiliates of CGC.
NGC, PMG and CGC are the leading and largest third-party grading services in their categories, having graded more than 40 million coins, 2.5 million notes and 4.5 million comic books, respectively.
Foils received by CGC within the first 30 days after the New Zealand Mint’s release of these foils will be assigned the Early Releases designation by default. If instead you want the First Releases designation or no designation, please follow the instructions below. The Early Releases and First Releases designations are used by NGC and PMG to capture the excitement of a newly issued collectible and have become very popular with many hobbyists. There is no additional fee for CGC’s assignment of these designations, if applicable.
The Early Releases / First Releases cutoff date for Action Comics #1 is Friday, May 18. The Early Releases / First Releases cutoff date for the Superman #1 Pure Silver Foil is Wednesday, June 13.
After grading, the foils will be encapsulated in CGC’s protective holder with an exclusive blue and silver CGC Universal Grade label featuring the logo of DC Comics (owner of the Superman franchise), which was officially licensed by the New Zealand Mint. All submitters of the 2018 Action Comics #1 Pure Silver Foil and 2018 Superman #1 Pure Silver Foil will receive the CGC DC Comics label automatically for no additional fee.
The grading fee for these foils is $25. Submitters of 25 or more foils at the same time pay a grading fee of only $20 each. Due to the special nature of this label, Collectors Society and Authorized Dealer discounts are not available.
The foils must be submitted with a CGC submission form. In addition to eligible CGC submitters, paid NGC and PMG Collectors Society members are eligible to submit these foils to CGC. NGC and PMG Authorized Dealers should contact CGC Customer Service to find out how they can submit to CGC.
Please follow the special instructions below.
- At CGCcomics.com, click on the Submit Comics pulldown menu and choose Submission Forms.
- Log in using your email address on file with NGC, PMG or CGC or your CGC dealer number.
- Next to the Comics/Magazines section, click the Fillable PDF link to download a submission form. (Do not use the online form.)
- Print out the submission form.
- In Box 1, confirm that your name and account number are correct.
- Write FOIL near the top of Box 2. Skip Boxes 2-4.
- Fill in Box 5 and 6 with your shipping information.
- Fill in Box 7 with the quantity, date (2018), Publisher (New Zealand Mint) and Title (2018 Action Comics #1 Pure Silver Foil or 2018 Superman #1 Pure Silver Foil). Do not include any other collectibles on this form.
- In Box 7, under PEDIGREE / VARIANT, write FIRST RELEASES if you want that designation on your label or NO DESIGNATION if you do not want a designation. (All foils received within the first 30 days will receive the Early Releases designation by default.) There is no additional fee for First Releases or Early Releases designations, but please note that only those foils that are received by CGC within 30 days of the foil’s release date are eligible to receive these designations.
The cutoff date for Early Releases / First Releases for Action Comics #1 is Friday, May 18. The Early Releases / First Releases cutoff date for the Superman #1 Pure Silver Foil is Wednesday, June 13.
- For Box 8, enter the total number of collectibles on Line 1. The flat grading fee is $25 (or $20 for quantities of 25 or more). Then select your shipping information on Lines 3-5.
- In Box 8, next to Line 6, write RETURN PACKAGING if you want your original mint packaging returned. There is a fee of $5 plus shipping costs per submission form for this option.
- Complete and mail your Submission Forms with your securely packaged foils to CGC. It is recommended that the foils be kept flat; do not insert the foils into tube-like packaging.
Questions? Call CGC Customer Service at 941-360-3991 or use the online contact form at CGCcomics.com/contact