Superman vs. Batman: Which CGC-certified Comic Will Prevail in Heritage Sale?
Posted on 6/9/2021
Two of the world’s most coveted comic books, each graded by Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®), are vying for top honors in the Comics & Comic Art Signature Auction 7244 sale presented by Heritage Auctions. Online bidding is underway for the debuts of DC Universe rivals Superman and Batman as well as hundreds of other CGC-graded rarities, with the sale concluding June 17-19, 2021.
It’s a bird. It’s a plane. No, it’s Action Comics #1!
One of the top lots in the sale is a rare issue of Action Comics #1 graded CGC Conserved 5.5 and pedigreed to the Jon Berk Collection (lot 91001). The June 1938 book features the origin and first appearance of Superman, as well as the first appearance of Lois Lane. Bidding reached six figures faster than a speeding bullet, passing the $300,000 mark with more than a week left before the auction.
|Action Comics #1 graded CGC Conserved 5.5 and pedigreed to the Jon Berk Collection
Click images to enlarge.
Earlier this year, an example of Action Comics #1 graded CGC 8.5 broke the record for the world’s most expensive comic book, selling for $3.25 million. The previous record was held by another Action Comics #1 graded CGC 9.0.
Holy first appearance, Batman!
Meanwhile, the June Heritage sale also features a Detective Comics #27 graded CGC 5.0 (lot 91005). The May 1939 issue features the first appearance of Batman and Commissioner Jim Gordon. More than a week before the auction, bidding had surpassed $400,000 for this Golden Age rarity.
Another example of Detective Comics #27, graded CGC 7.0, realized $1.5 million in a Heritage sale in November 2020. That example set a record for the most-expensive comic sold by Heritage and the highest price for any comic book that is not an Action Comics #1.
Other CGC-certified highlights in the June Heritage sale include:
- a Detective Comics #140 graded CGC 9.6 and pedigreed to The Promise Collection (lot 93065)
- a Fantastic Four #48 graded CGC 9.8 (lot 91007)
- a Phantom Lady #17 graded CGC 9.6 and pedigreed to The Promise Collection (lot 93123)
- a Marvel Spotlight #5 graded CGC 9.8 (lot 91011)
- an All-American Comics #61 graded CGC 9.6 and pedigreed to The Promise Collection (lot 93002)
- an Amazing Fantasy #15 graded CGC 6.0 (lot 94078)
- a Startling Comics #49 graded CGC 9.6 and pedigreed to The Promise Collection (lot 93146)
- an X-Men #1 graded CGC 7.0 (lot 94145)
- a Captain America Comics #46 graded CGC 9.2 and pedigreed to The Promise Collection (lot 93034)
- a Detective Comics #114 graded CGC 9.8 and pedigreed to The Promise Collection (lot 93056)
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free CGC eNewsletter today!