About this journal
This journal by StephenWA provides an overview of this iconic October 2003 comic, with analysis of its 244 reprints, its prowess in the CGC Registry and in the re-sale market.
The photograph shows the first The Walking Dead comic, issue #1, from October 2003. This is the comic that spawned the complete franchise of TV shows, theme park rides, collector cards and so on. There are also three TV movies pending production. The comic provides the first character appearances of:
• Rick Grimes
• Shane Walsh
• Morgan Jones
• Morgan's son, Duane Jones
Robert Kirkman - creator, story
Tony Moore - co-creator, cover and internal artwork
Cover price $2.95.
Rick and Shane are cops. Rick gets shot while on duty. He wakes up in an abandoned hospital not knowing anything of the zombie apocalypse. As he makes his way back to his house to check on his family, he runs into Morgan Jones and his son Duane. Duane whacks Rick in the face with a shovel thinking that he's a zombie. When Rick comes around, Morgan explains "the dead" (called "Walkers" in the TV show). He equips himself at his old police station to continue his search for his wife, Lori and his son, Carl. He arrives in Atlanta on horse, before being surrounded by the dead. In the TV show which follows (2010), he is surrounded while hiding inside a tank.
CGC census 12/2018 = 3002 copies, including 995 in 9.8 and 24 in 9.9.
The print run on this comic was small. Of the 7,266 copies of the comic said to have been printed, by 12/2018, 3002 had been graded by CGC. This represents a surprising 41.3% of the whole run. Most of those graded are in grade 9.0 or higher. The lowest graded copy is graded 0.5 (1 of). The highest graded copies on the census are 9.9 (24 of). There are no Gem/10 copies.
There were two (slightly) different covers on the original 2003 first printing, though these are not shown separately in the CGC Registry. The first has a a black 'MATURE READERS' block on the cover (under the price box), and the second has this in white text. There are many rumours as to why these are different. The most-common is that the black ones were a printing error, noted and corrected to white later in the print run. The black is widely-thought to be the rarer of the two. I have examples of both in my collection.
The original comic has been re-printed a staggering 244 times, each time with a different cover:
- Special Edition #1 (May 2008)
- Image Firsts (7 dated editions: 3/2010, 9/2010, 4/2011, 12/2012, 4/2014, 11/2015 and 3/2017)
- Walking Dead Weekly #1 and Arizona Comic Convention variant (2011)
- Wizard World editions - 64 versions comprising 32 in colour and 32 sketch (2013 = 14, 2014 = 4, 2015 = 46)
- 10th Anniversary Edition and Convention Edition (2013)
- Image Expo and Image Expo Sketch Editions (Nick Dragota cover, January 2014)
- Escape and Escape Sketch Editions (April 2014)
- Black Friday Edition (April 2014)
- Hyundai Edition (April 2014)
- Skybound 5th Anniversary Editions (Colour, Sketch and Blue Sketch, July 2015)
- Cynthiana Edition (June 2016)
- San Diego Comic Convention (2017)
- go! Calendar Club Edition (2017)
- 15th Anniversary Blind Bag Editions - Colour, Colour Virgin, Sketch and Sketch Virgin* (October 2018)
- 15th Anniversary Retailer cover and 151 Store Variant Covers** (October 2018)
* = There were no 1:100 "Hidden" editions of comic 1. The hidden editions were 19, 48, 98, 100 and 108
** = I was instrumental in validating and correcting the CGC Registry to show the correct listing of the store variants through my communications with Mollie Davies.
As noted, you could have bought the comic from a news stand in October 2003 for $2.95. The comic has climbed steadily in value, particularly since 2010 when the TV show debuted. The highest recorded price for a 9.8 is thought to be $3250.00 (of course, the value of private sales is just that - private). According to sellmycomicbooks.com, the 2015 average price for a 9.8 was $2075. The 2016 average price for a 9.8 was $2467. In 2017, a copy sold for $3051 in 9.8 The highest recent sales were $2300 for a 9.8 and $1450 for a 9.6 in December 2018.
In March 2016, a CGC 9.9 copy of the 2003 original comic sold on eBay for a staggering $22,825.
Back in 2014, the single copy graded at 0.5 sold on eBay for $756.