• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard Comicons Failed Me - Still Puzzling

34 posts in this topic

Respecting Rich Evans? I agree.

I don't require your respect. But I demand your pity!

you have to earn my respect buddy, otherwise I will take all of your chips and leave you scratching your head....

I'll give you some respect you when you take one of my chips.

And you are right, if it ever happened I would be scratching my head!

Sorry to hear that you won't be setting up at WW Chicago this year Bob, as it's one of only two cons that I got to each year , and the more dealers to choose from the better, but I can understand your reluctance to setup considering all the hassles you've had. hopefully the WHIZKIDS can address some of those issues going forward.

I began setting up at Chicago Comicons back in 1972 with the first one held in the Windy City - hosted by the "other" Nancy (Warner or Ford, can't keep thos two Ns straight) who was not connected with Larry, Robert & Gary - the lone guest was Russ Heath, then living at the Playboy Mansion, if i remember correctly

That said, the reasons stated is why i decline this year to chance it further par-take of potential crazy apathy on the part of the promoters - i came to the conclusion that they simpy do not care

more power to em -

some people view San Diego as beyond the pale - that little ditty is reserved by me for the people who took over Chicago Comicon from the original owners - i wish the original owners had never sold out

Sorry to hear that you won't be setting up at WW Chicago this year Bob, as it's one of only two cons that I got to each year , and the more dealers to choose from the better, but I can understand your reluctance to setup considering all the hassles you've had. hopefully the WHIZKIDS can address some of those issues going forward.

forgot to ask: what is the "other" show you attend?

forgot to ask: what is the "other" show you attend?

Mid-Ohio con.

I used to enjoy MidOhio at the hotel, but this last one in the basketball court venue is not my idea of where a show of this potential-calibre needs to be - it makes the show look cheap - and that translates into who comes in for it - is there easy access to reasonable food, easy to get it, park, then get to the con site

hidden in the bowls of that civic center, i say nay. Some where else is what will work. Surely there is some where else to hold MidOhio at? On OSU campus would be way better, if that is possible size wise, it worked for us for Berkeleycon and a lot of university students came in on the discounted admin and became comics readers.

but that is my opine - his attendance was way down, mercantile intake was way down as well at least for me, which is a heavy consideration when coming a long distance. The nut is a lot easier to crack when one is more local for any show.

For me, gas, blown tires, motels, road food, all adds up, chewing out the bottom line,

plus with this damaged hip joint i have, bust-even shows merely means i gave away better stuff for naught

- and i think eBay has leveled that former playing field in ways some are only beginning to understand. There is still a vibrant comics horse trading hobby, we are a microcosm here in CGC Land - and it is all internet is the name of the game - this is true in a great many business thru the entire economic secter.

The security at that facility worries me about as much as the non-starter on that concept the WIhizKids seem to be.

While the dealer's room at the hotel it was split into two room amongst various convention goers as it tended to shake the chaffe as it were, new stuff people to that way, collectibles people the other way

- plus the choice of easy food was fantastic. and parking was easy

he is stuck on time of the year rather than venue - that is how one inadvertantly accidently kills a show, my opine

location location location is how they teach it at business school

And i ain't taking Jerry's All Stars shluggin around where i could not sleep easy at night

i can actually do that at the San Diego Comicon sleep easy at night, not taking a single thing out of the hall

- incorporated into that exhorbidant booth cost - so, yes, only the strong will survive at future SD shows. But that is OK, as the "strong" comics dealer-type is one who has decent material at decent affordable prices. Turn over is the key. You have to set your booth out pre-planned back at the ranch to turn over out of easily perused boxes & displays.

I just feel that with booth prices as high as they are, there are a few things which should be no brainers to promoters: security, venue, not letting (booth) thieves back in etc - stuff like that

can i get a witness?

I used to enjoy MidOhio at the hotel, but last years in the basketball court venue is not my idea of where a show of this potential-calibre needs to be -

hidden in the bowls of that civic center, i say nay.

but that is my opinion - his attendance was way down, mercantile intake was way down as well at least for me,

yes, I noticed that last years Mid-Ohio was way down in attendance, I was surprised, two years prior when it was still at the hotel lobby, I remember it was so crowded I could barely manuever through the isles, and I remember thinking that when they move it to the new location that it should be better due to more space,..

I don't know what happened, but the crowd definitely was not there last year. I went on Saturday which normally should be the busiest day.

"can i get a witness? "

Testify, my brother man. Tell it.

BTW, what's the status on your comic history book?

(I'd love a revealing, "tell-all" look at the early days of comic wheeling and dealing.

Especially the dirt you probably have on some people.)

Have you set a publishing date?

Will selected parts be published in the new OPG?

my book is coming right along - it is taking in some 160 years of comic book history and i have satisfied my curiosity with the 1800s and have been back at it in the 20th century for some time now - i have a vision for it which is coming to fruition and i hope to make some real announcements PDQ

selected portions are already in OPG in the history articles fronting the Victorian, Platinum and the 3rd essay which is an origin of the modern comicbook beginning with COMIC MONTHLY, THE FUNNIES, HUMOR PUB, OIL company giveaways, and other aspects before we get to Eastern Color's seminal output which segues into Action One and the rise of the mystery men

and what my book is about is the behind the scenes as much as i have been able to uncover which is considerable -

The rise of the comics hobby morph into a legit business is covered in depth, to be sure. I lived it beginning in 1966, and have interviewed 100s of participants i have known over the years.