• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a 4.0?

29 posts in this topic

I'm confused.... confused.gif

Did the seller alter the colors of their scan to misrepresent this book as a Blue label?

Photoshopping purple labels to appear blue has been done before...I forget the seller, but there was one seller that did this quite frequently, and their scans were small so it was even more deceptive.

A quick "question to seller" should answer whether label is purple or blue....stay tuned!

Did the seller alter the colors of their scan to misrepresent this book as a Blue label?

Photoshopping purple labels to appear blue has been done before...I forget the seller, but there was one seller that did this quite frequently, and their scans were small so it was even more deceptive.

A quick "question to seller" should answer whether label is purple or blue....stay tuned!

And don't take any of that "my scanner wont scan purple correctly" BS from this dingleberry either. The last guy was saying the same thing, but a quick look at the "Gingersnap" circle on the bottom right of the cover shows that his scanner has no problem with purple. 893naughty-thumb.gif

That label looks blue to me.

And I must now cast my vote in opposition to numerical grades only. A bad bad idea. I have little idea what a 4.0 is, but that book looks G/VG to me. If I were buying at a convention, I'd go for the good price.

Here's the response - a little bit of dodging the question with a pinch of red herring thrown in:

>>> 9/15/03 7:25:48 PM >>>

Hi Mike,

CGC has recently changed their labels, but this is still purplish since it

is restored.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Mike

Planet Comics

----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 10:13 AM

Subject: Question for seller -- Item #2192292272

> Hi,

>

> Is the label of this CGC book purple, or blue? I thought restored labels

were purple, but yours looks blue in the scan.

>

> Tx! Mike

> --------------------

>

>

> Question from: drbanner

> Title of item: New York World's Fair 1939 DC Comics CGC 4.0

> Seller: planetcomics

> Starts: Sep-14-03 19:18:39 PDT

> Ends: Sep-24-03 19:18:39 PDT

> Price: Currently $898.88

> To view the item, go to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2192292272

Until I saw this thread I never realized the book was restored. Sure, it's clear if you read the label but many comic collectors (such as myself) cannot read? I can only tell if the book is restored looking for the purple color on the label. If CGC ever changes their color scheme I'll be completely lost. My thought is asking CGc

to put a large black X across all restored books with a notice that says "DO NOT LOOK AT AND CERTAINLY DO NOT BUY". THe black X will be my clue that the book has the "restored disease".

If I bought that book based on the scan, the seller would have a "I request to return my most recent purchase" E-mail in his box before the sun went down.

Doc, Is it possible to E-mail the seller and ask him how he is able to change the label color so effectively? Many of us who have restored CGC copies would also like to learn the technique. Perhaps changing the label color would help boost the value of the book high enough to pay for the grading.

Doc, Is it possible to E-mail the seller and ask him how he is able to change the label color so effectively? Many of us who have restored CGC copies would also like to learn the technique. Perhaps changing the label color would help boost the value of the book high enough to pay for the grading.

Add a BIN to the equation .......and I think we might have something 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sure...anyone can email him about it!!