• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AMAZING SPIDEY 1 9.6

115 posts in this topic

Boy, Interesting speculation, not even close.

Jay Perino is not selling this run.

Terry's Comics owned and sold the 9.9.

Where are all you so called Market trackers? If you've been tracking prices this would have been solved in 10 minutes. Don't you follow the BSD's buying on Ebay? Many of the books were purchased on Ebay. I thought some of you knew everything? Maybe it's another Hollywood actor who was ripped off by Metropolis, hmmm. Maybe I sold him these books and he's pissed off? Damn that Bob Storms! grin.gifshocked.gif

Well some of us do know it all I guess. The Spidey collection does belong to one individual who is not a really well known figure in the comic book collecting world who bought most of the books right before the first movie came out! Most of the books were not bought on ebay or at auctions but thru private sales - below the radar so no one would know unless you were part of the deal. And they are being sold at this time for the reasons I thought - to cover losses.

"The Spidey collection does belong to one individual who is not a really well known figure in the comic book collecting world who bought most of the books right before the first movie came out!"

......if this is true he's going to take a huge hit on these books then, isn't he?

You don't know that he was badly advised unless you know what his investment goals were and when he started looking to buy comics. I'm convinced that he was advised to not sell them now, but when the economy suddenly makes you realize that your reach has exceeded your grasp, these things happen.

Exactly - no one buys a Spidey #19 for $17,500 in July and expects to sell it for $23,500+ (what he'd have to get to break even if Heritage charges 15% both ways) in December. It's obviously unfortunate circumstances requiring him to sell.

Also, for those who are saying that he/she should wait until the next movie to sell.

Do you really think that a movie will effect the price of a 9.6 Spider-man #1?

Movies are good for raising common Spider-man issues from the $1 box to the $5 box, or some "players" come in and move some $800-1000 items to the $1000-$1200 range. But JoeBob doesn't go see the Spider-man movie and come home to tell his wife, "we better put off buying a house, 'cause I can get a 9.6 Spidey #1 for only 100K". That kind of decision is made by someone already in the market that knows what they are doing. Movie hype has no bearing on 9.4+ copies of Spider-man #1-20. It does have hype on 8.0-9.0 copies of #122.

Sean

"You don't know that he was badly advised unless you know what his investment goals were and when he started looking to buy comics."

.....as far as i understand it, the prime investment goal is to make money, not lose it........... grin.gif

I like how everyone assumes that this is a bad time to sell, but later on is a good time. Who's to say this isn't the best time to sell? I know over time that comics are a good investment, but so were stocks until a few years ago.

No one totally overlooks the value of comics like the feds...as any Canadian coming from the SD con and bringing stuff back over the border with all their high priced booty...you think they have to pay any custom/import taxes and duties on that? Hell no!

"I like how everyone assumes that this is a bad time to sell, but later on is a good time. Who's to say this isn't the best time to sell?"

....its not so much that, but the fact that rumour has it the guy bought the books right before the movie came out............so he will have to wait a bit longer than 6 months to make money on them......... grin.gif

I like how everyone assumes that this is a bad time to sell, but later on is a good time. Who's to say this isn't the best time to sell?

You actually may have a good point there (even if the guy did buy exceedingly high), and I'm thinking along the same lines as well. Comic sales are like a big house of cards right now, built mostly on the success of CGC Guide multiples (which don't exist much anymore) and the continued upward box-office $$$ trend of Blade -> X-Men -> Spider-man.

There is no way in hell that Daredevil will be as successful as Spider-man, so what happens then? Hulk looks like an ultra-lame "A Beautiful Angst-Ridden Nuclear Mind", so I don't think much help will come from that angle (not to mention it's not even a super-hero movie in the conventional sense).

Add in a bad economy, a volatile, speculator-driven back issue market, and a gray-haired current readership, (not to mention a sociopath is running Marvel) and these ASM sales may actually be get back more money than if he had waited a few years.