• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Primer? *DELETED*

11 posts in this topic

Well you were asking some things that were easy enough to look up in a number of sources, and I got the impression you wanted a sort of glossary of some terms, which nobody could easily post here without typing a lot. But then it occurred to me that my reply, while just meant to be cute, might be perceived as rude, so I thought I would try to at least answer the specifics anyway. If you like I'll be quite happy to do that. Alternately you can also go to a few sites like CGC's own for some glossary terms that might answer some questions, and our site as well at gemstonepub.com.

to me the only way it would be perceived as rude is if people don't know that your name is right there in big letters on each of those fine publications....

to me the only way it would be perceived as rude is if people don't know that your name is right there in big letters on each of those fine publications

Ah, that would change it from rude to cute....definitely. I didn't know who wrote those books.

My only experience with comics is reading them, although reading posts here have made me think about collecting, so I really don't know where to go at this point for info. Hence, the post.

I am starting to figure things out - like I'm guessing OW stands for off-white? Am I close?

Well like I said, I still say the absolute best way to find out what you want to know about comics is to seek out one or both of those books, because they offer glossaries of terms like OW - which usually stands for off-white, yes - info on the various historical Ages of comics as you mentioned in your first post - and much more. But hey, we're not the only ones, there are lots of other books too (from competitors - grrr smile.gif ), and several websites that also list all kinds of comic book terminology.

The thing about the Ages and when and where Golden, Silver, Bronze and other Ages start and stop has often been debated in comic circles. The forthcoming Price Guide will have a special feature on the designation of Ages that might answer some more questions, but we'll see.

I am starting to figure things out - like I'm guessing OW stands for off-white? Am I close?

Yup ... Dead on

My only experience with comics is reading them, although reading posts here have made me think about collecting, so I really don't know where to go at this point for info. Hence, the post.

You can feel free to ask questions here. We are kinda smart alecs, so you might need a thick skin. smile.gif

Phil